Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to buy insurance for my enclosed trailer ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 07:41 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Default Where to buy insurance for my enclosed trailer ?

I have been looking around, unsuccessfully for insurance for my 22' enclosed trailer.

Trailer and mods are worth about $9,000.00, not counting the contents when I have it loaded. then probably in the $15,000.00 range.

Anyone have this and can you point me to an insurance provider for trailers.

Thanks

I have a funny situation in that my truck is titled in my Safety business's name and the trailer is titled in 10/10ths Motorsports name.
My ins. company said they won't cover the trailer because there is no car "attached" to it per se' The Corvette that I race is also titled in my Safety business's name which the ins. company does not like either.
I need to find a company that will just insure the trailer all by itself.

Last edited by WNeal; 02-22-2010 at 02:39 AM.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:11 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

Hey Bill, I have mine with State Farm they have all of my vehicles etc. I have purchased a 28 foot tag, $76.00 for six months. I think part of the coverage on the truck I am pulling it with covers the liability? The premium on the trailer covers contents and trailer for theft, fire etc.
Can't wait to get back to Putnam! Hope to see you soon!
Old 02-21-2010, 10:43 PM
johninar
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 24' Pace $88 per year with Farmers. I only claimed $4k in contents (tools, generator).
Old 02-21-2010, 11:40 PM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here, I got mine from the same company I use for my home and cars.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:31 AM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

surprised your regular auto insurer won't cover it
Old 02-22-2010, 02:38 AM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by mousecatcher
I have a funny situation in that my truck is titled in my Safety business's name and the trailer is titled in 10/10ths Motorsports name.
My ins. company said they won't cover the trailer because there is no car "attached" to it per se'

The Corvette that I race is also titled in my Safety business's name which the ins. company does not like either.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:12 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by WNeal
My ins. company said they won't cover the trailer because there is no car "attached" to it per se'

The Corvette that I race is also titled in my Safety business's name which the ins. company does not like either.
Mine is also in my business, 10K open. I do you it all the time in my business for scaffold plank and equipment istead of taking out my 30,000 GVW. The insurance cost me 2200 per year. Having it in your business will not let you get cheap insurance,

Can't have yur cake and eat it too. If you fimd someone let me know!

Last edited by John Shiels; 02-22-2010 at 06:47 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:17 AM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I've seen ads on the tv for Geico insurance saying they will insure anything. They have boats, trailers, rv travel trailers, jet skis, etc. You could check with them. My club has their own trailer and has insurance on it by itself, but I don't know where they are getting it from.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:28 PM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Bill - You might want to check your homeowner's policy.

I own about five trailers, open and enclosed. They are all covered on my homeowner's policy, along with all of my other personal property.

Kentucky does not require that trailers be licensed.

If possible under your homeowner's policy, you would have to transfer the trailer title to your name.

Last edited by NVR2L8; 02-24-2010 at 11:11 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:40 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mousecatcher
Yep, my insurance co writes a policy for my 22' enclosed trailer...its pretty cheap since when I'm towing the auto policy covers it...and yes the home owner's policy (same company) covers the contents.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:11 AM
1BDRSK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You are going to find it very difficult to insure just a trailer on it's own. Almost all companies will want the 'tow' vehicle as well becaue the trailer is not a 'money maker' for them.

As an FYI, liability is automatically extended from your auto policy when you attach a trailer regardless of who owns the trailer, you would just not have coverage for comprehensive or collison.

I would try going back to your company that insures your truck and vette to ask for an exception that they write your trailer (under a different policy) because they have all your vehicles, they're just in different names. If you've been a client for a few years in good standing, it shouldn't be a real issue for them.

If that doesn't work and if you have a business policy for 10/10ths then see if they can add it to your commercial policy.

As for any of your contents that aren't permanently mounted to the trailer, they would be covered under your homeowners policy, provided it isn't business equipment.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:34 PM
mdk
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts

hagerty insurance will cover your car and trailer for less than most, I had aaa and switched after my policy was terminated.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:33 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

state farm and it is cheap
Old 02-25-2010, 01:07 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have been with State Farm for more years than I can remember, at least 30??? They have always taken incredible care of me, great rates, fast and generous claims processing, I am quite loyal to them.

I have 5 vehicles and 2 trailers (one a 28' Featherlite toyhauler $$$$)covered by them for myself and my wife and high coverage homeowners, etc.....I pay around $2,400 a year for everything(2 Vettes but one is not driven, dually is more than either Vette, 0/250 deductables, road side assistance, towing, high medical coverage, etc.....)

My daughter is a CPA, we title everything under my name, not my business, then take business deductions, income tax, insurance, etc all comes out better this way

Rick
Old 02-25-2010, 04:03 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RAAMaudio
I have been with State Farm for more years than I can remember, at least 30??? They have always taken incredible care of me, great rates, fast and generous claims processing, I am quite loyal to them.

I have 5 vehicles and 2 trailers (one a 28' Featherlite toyhauler $$$$)covered by them for myself and my wife and high coverage homeowners, etc.....I pay around $2,400 a year for everything(2 Vettes but one is not driven, dually is more than either Vette, 0/250 deductables, road side assistance, towing, high medical coverage, etc.....)

My daughter is a CPA, we title everything under my name, not my business, then take business deductions, income tax, insurance, etc all comes out better this way

Rick
If you do it that way you will not have the protection of being incorporated I believe.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:20 PM
magnetic1
Burning Brakes

get some STP (Storage, Transit, Paddock) insurance. It'll cover up to an agreed value for your trailer and contents.

http://www.motorsportcoverage.com/
http://heacockclassic.com/passion/racing-cars

Edit: Forgot to mention your CAR too (while in transport or paddock)

Last edited by magnetic1; 02-25-2010 at 11:15 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:48 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Good poing John, I let my daughter figure all that out, business and finance degrees, CPA, quite a few years experience, I just do what she says and don't worry about it.

Not to big a chance I could ever be sued successfully for a big sum of money in what I do so that is part of the equation.

Magnetic1 may have the right answer here though

Rick

Get notified of new replies

To Where to buy insurance for my enclosed trailer ?

Quick Reply: Where to buy insurance for my enclosed trailer ?