Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Tire wear at the track

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 08:05 AM
Vicious-Z06
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Tire wear at the track

I'm running a c6Z with Dunlop Slicks. I have 2.5 neg camber in the front with a small amount of Toe out. I keep cording the outer edge of the front left tire. I figured with all that camber this wouldn't be possible..

I only have been getting 2 track days out of the left fronts. My last day was at NJMSP, the lightning track which is tough on the left front, but I expected a little more than 2 days worth.

My wheel bearings and front end all seems tight.. Can Toe cause this??

The car also has T1 sways and coil overs so there is very little if any body roll.

Tire pressure is at 33-35 hot.

Is this just the result of hard driving? or could something be wrong?

Old 08-14-2009, 09:51 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Nothing wrong just time to get a set of poly bushings.

We run perelli and dunlop slicks and before we put the bushings in we would always cord the tires about 1.5" from the outside edge, after the bushings we started using the whole tire and the wear was closer to the outside 4".

Even with 2.5 neg in the front you still get a ton of deflection out of the stock rubber bushings you are probably closer to 0 once things firm up.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:09 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You still don't have enough negative camber. I had the same issue with my Dunlops(fantastic tires.) I watched a Dunlop test day at Laguna Seca for the BMW ALMS team and spoke with the English Dunlop engineers, they run a 300/660 on a 12" wide rim, approx. 30 psi hot and -3.5 in front on pure race cars.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:08 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Yep, you definitely need to get the T1 lockout plates for the lower control arms and remove the shims from the upper arm, which should get you to about -3 or so. After that, look at doing a polyurethane replacement for all your rubber bushings.

There are some other tricks of the trade too. Email me for more info.

wtknght1@aol.com
Old 08-18-2009, 08:46 PM
Vicious-Z06
Intermediate

thanks. I'm rechecking the alignment and will consider the bushings for next season. I only have 3 track days left this year.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with Tire wear at the track

Quick Reply: Help with Tire wear at the track