Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tech 2 - Road Atlanta this weekend w/ NASA

Old 08-07-2009, 01:42 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Tech 2 - Road Atlanta this weekend w/ NASA

Anybody gonna be at RA this weekend that has a Tech 2 I can borrow?
Old 08-08-2009, 05:59 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

No luck I guess with the Tech 2. Did the Motive bleeder help at all?

BTW - How did the day go in TTA?
Old 08-08-2009, 06:03 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Geez. Are Tech2s really $3600? Ouch.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:01 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by sperkins
No luck I guess with the Tech 2. Did the Motive bleeder help at all?

BTW - How did the day go in TTA?
Scott, I did a full bleed with the motive. No change. Did another bleed, and running the ABS pump w/ the car on the lift (again), no change. Replaced the master last night @ midnight, full bleed again, cycle ABS pump again, no change. I am really stumped at this point.

Despite that (really mushy pedal, requiring lots of left foot confidence pumps before hard braking), I managed to barely nip Jason today in the friggin blazing heat, with a 1:36 flat on the Ho-Ho A's. Gotta love the A6's, it's like putting on a superman suit. I am thinking 275's are the way to go, I would like to use the spare pts I have for real brakes.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:10 PM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

What kind of brake trouble? Soft or low pedal which doesn't pump up?
Old 08-08-2009, 09:16 PM
exracer28
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

I will have mine at Barber with the BMW club on the 22/23 and then back to Barber for the SCCA event over labor day. White C6 #36.

I assume you are having brake problems? After bleeding but before driving do you get a good pedal? Have you checked the PSI as each caliper?

John
Old 08-08-2009, 09:18 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by drivinhard
Scott, I did a full bleed with the motive. No change. Did another bleed, and running the ABS pump w/ the car on the lift (again), no change. Replaced the master last night @ midnight, full bleed again, cycle ABS pump again, no change. I am really stumped at this point.

Despite that (really mushy pedal, requiring lots of left foot confidence pumps before hard braking), I managed to barely nip Jason today in the friggin blazing heat, with a 1:36 flat on the Ho-Ho A's. Gotta love the A6's, it's like putting on a superman suit. I am thinking 275's are the way to go, I would like to use the spare pts I have for real brakes.
1:36 flat! Holy crap man that's crazy. I remember last year people said that TTA would be in the 35's very soon, but I didn't believe it. Congratulations buddy. Job well done.
I'm guessing you didn't tell Jason about the ballast you added to his car huh?

I'm thinking like you said yesterday that a tech 2 may be required to purge the front. You may want to call Jason at Balanced Performance. I'm pretty sure he has one. As a matter of fact, I remember seeing his trailer in the infield paddock yesterday. I'd run over there first thing in the morning and see if he can help.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:25 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by exracer28
I will have mine at Barber with the BMW club on the 22/23 and then back to Barber for the SCCA event over labor day. White C6 #36.

I assume you are having brake problems? After bleeding but before driving do you get a good pedal? Have you checked the PSI as each caliper?

John
Pedal is soft up top, and never really firm or confident, and long. Very hard to heel/toe with it that low, plus it's messes with your head on a high speed track like RA.

Calipers are all "new" (swapped from my parts Z06, street car, so I know they aren't spread) no change there. car has SS lines, pads are good (not tapered), master is known good (also from the spare car), the only way I can cycle the ABS pump is using traction control on the lift (running the rear wheels). I've done a full motive pressure flush.

any other ideas? I am not a pro with the circuits/valves inside the pump, so I don't know what valves are opening by using the TC on the rear wheels on the lift.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:29 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

1:36 flat! Holy crap man that's crazy. I remember last year people said that TTA would be in the 35's very soon, but I didn't believe it. Congratulations buddy. Job well done.
I'm guessing you didn't tell Jason about the ballast you added to his car huh?
Jason has not yet noticed the sakcrete that is now in his frame rails

I dunno how much faster the A's are than the R's, being skinnier, but jason is a heck of a driver, so if you can beat him, you are doing good. I think he will be a killer w2w guy when he gets that far. I would not want to have to race against him.

re: 35's, I think it's more than doable. cool weather is worth a lot of time, and I am still sorting the balance of the car, I am not happy with it fully yet.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:29 PM
MySR71
Pro

I was going to say spread calipers but it sounds like you have taken care of that. I had a low pedal which wouldn't pump up and it took me awhile to figure out it was the calipers.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:38 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MySR71
I was going to say spread calipers.
OK I'll bite. What exactly is a spread caliper?
Old 08-08-2009, 10:59 PM
MySR71
Pro

OK I'll bite. What exactly is a spread caliper?
The caliper had lost too much of its stiffness/strength. So when you pushed on the brakes, the sides of the caliper would flex and result in a low pedal before they would firm up. Pushing on the brakes multiple times quickly, ie, pumping the brakes, would not make for a firm and high brake pedal either. I replaced the calipers and the problem went away.

Based on my reading, if there is air in the system, pumping the brakes would give a firm and high pedal.

Last edited by MySR71; 08-08-2009 at 11:01 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:38 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I am going to try opening the bleeders on BOTH ends of a circuit (LF/RR, etc) while running the car's traction control on the lift. I did not have enough pedal to get into the ABS anytime during the weekend (I don't try to, but every now and then you will just trying to threshold brake).

Of course, the A6's have so much friggin grip, it is hard to overpower them. I have used the Wilwood "A" compound in the past, and it would have been nice to have some stiff 4 or 6 pots up front with some "A" pads, they make some serious torque.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:18 PM
exracer28
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

Have you tried an old school bleed where you have someone in the car and have him/her press the brake down and then you oped the bleeder one at a time? I have tried other methods and found that to work the best. I also use different color fluid.

I have also had bad brake lines that were coming apart internally.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:25 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

I am still sorting the balance of the car, I am not happy with it fully yet.
You're such a perfectionist.

I had a blast Friday. See you at the track.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:26 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I am going to try opening the bleeders on BOTH ends of a circuit (LF/RR, etc) while running the car's traction control on the lift. I did not have enough pedal to get into the ABS anytime during the weekend
BTW as a follow-up to this...this worked. Previously just opening 1 end (either front or rear) didn't work. I put positive pressure on it from the motive, opened LF/RR (and vice versa) and ran the TC/ABS pump, pedal returned to normal. It took both ends open, FYI if you run into the same problem.

T'was nice to have brakes at VIR.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:30 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Thanks for posting that info Mark. I'm sure I'll need it someday.

Get notified of new replies

To Tech 2 - Road Atlanta this weekend w/ NASA

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tech 2 - Road Atlanta this weekend w/ NASA