Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Abs module/ebtcm modification for track use ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 01:12 AM
supercharged z06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Abs module/ebtcm modification for track use ?

Has anyone made any modifications or know of any programs that optimize the ABS module/EBTCM for track use / racing ?
Does anyone make a re-programmed replacement unit ?
Gm Racing ? Bosch makes one for racing, but it is very expensive.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:55 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

for which car, the C5 or C6 ?

Most ppl just run in the AH/TC OFF position. and tune the C6s TQMGT to not come on.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:38 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

no, as far as I know, no one has desensitized the unit for racing to avoid the occasional failure over the curbs etc. Also, unlike some cars, once the system shuts down, you get NOTHING. In some cars, if you lose a single sensor, the other wheels will attempt to retain ABS. Between trans/diff sensors etc, I do wish they had some redundancy in the system.

btw, as long as it's working, the ABS system is really great!
Old 08-06-2009, 12:16 PM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I feel it would be nice to have the AH adjustable in order to slowly dial it back as drivers get better able to control oversteer. It would be a nice confidence builder for those moving from Ah on to off.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:58 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

BQ, I'm undecided about that..... I started racing before AH/TC existed, and feel it hurts new drivers as much as it helps them (from a learning standpoint). However, I certainly can't argue that it does keep driver's safer, but with a false sense of accomplishment.

Anway, I guess we've answered the thread.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:08 PM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I hear ya David. I think it would be a good thing to throttle it back some and let the driver learn to drive/correct, but the system to intervene only if the car had lost control to the extent that it's becoming a safety issue and no longer a learning experience. No reason to wad up a car/get hurt in order to learn to drive.

I think some $$ european sports cars have multiple options like street-sport-track-off, effectively doing what I would like to see on our cars.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:09 AM
Bimota Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
BQ, I'm undecided about that..... I started racing before AH/TC existed, and feel it hurts new drivers as much as it helps them (from a learning standpoint). However, I certainly can't argue that it does keep driver's safer, but with a false sense of accomplishment.
I used AH as a learning tool at new tracks as follows: if I am on Rs and it does NOT engage, I am going too slow.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:54 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Bimota Guy
I used AH as a learning tool at new tracks as follows: if I am on Rs and it does NOT engage, I am going too slow.
I was thinking...if one was a really really smooth sort of a jackie stewart kind of driver could you really be fast but not trigger the AH? And then could AH triggering really tell you that one is not being smooth? I'm wondering what would happen if one could learn to increase speed without triggering AH. Would one then be faster than thrashing in and out of AH?
Old 08-07-2009, 06:59 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

There are or is another module that some of the world challenge cars use. But is it realy worth it for DEs or NASA and SCCA races? mostly likely not.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:32 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I'd be nice to have a user selectable map (switch on the dash), that'd let you dial in the AH intervention so that as a track (or street) progresses from dry to wet you can keep the car in better shape.

Probably not needed in sprint racing, but endurance stuff and street driving it would be nice.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:55 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

well that is what the ON, Comp Mode and OFF are for
Old 08-07-2009, 04:45 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
well that is what the ON, Comp Mode and OFF are for
Not quite in the way I was thinking.

While we're on the subject: who was the genius that made the comp mode so hard to turn on in the c5? Seems like you should hit the button once to get comp mode, and hold it down to get it off.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:48 PM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I remember hearing once a couple of years ago about another ABS calibration from GM Motorsports. The post was burried deep in a thread and I can't find it. The person said they were testing it out and that others could get it from their dealerships. The person did say that it required all four tires to be the same size though. I wish I could find that post again. I've never heard anyone else talk about it.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:05 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by mgarfias
Not quite in the way I was thinking.

While we're on the subject: who was the genius that made the comp mode so hard to turn on in the c5? Seems like you should hit the button once to get comp mode, and hold it down to get it off.
I know it is a babysitter for the lowest of morons but if GM is listening on my wish list would be a start-up mode user programmed into the driver info center. This way I can start with AH off instead of always trying to remember to turn it off hopefully before the first turn.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:21 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
I know it is a babysitter for the lowest of morons but if GM is listening on my wish list would be a start-up mode user programmed into the driver info center. This way I can start with AH off instead of always trying to remember to turn it off hopefully before the first turn.
Won't happen. Liability issues!!!

Frank Gonzalez

Get notified of new replies

To Abs module/ebtcm modification for track use ?

Quick Reply: Abs module/ebtcm modification for track use ?