Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is 15-50/5-50 the right oil for me?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 04:52 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Is 15-50/5-50 the right oil for me?

New motor is ready for synthetic oil now. It is aluminum 402 with oil pressure aound 45-48 lbs at 200* normally using VR1 20-50. At the track, it gets up over 290* with pressure at 30 lbs or less going down straights. I am on Plan E with oil cooler. I now have a stock shroud with no holes to seal the air coming thru coolers. Hopefully that should take car of the heat. There is a good deal going on the Amsoil 10-40 or will that now be thick enough? It is a dd with 1 track day per month, occasionally 2. Thoughts?

PS - will it run any cooler with the synthetic oil?
Old 08-02-2009, 11:17 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Dropped you more info in a PM, but sharing a little of it here. Given that you have been using a 50 grade oil, I'd recommend starting with that and seeing what changes you note in oil temps before trying a 40 grade.

AMSOIL makes two:
AMSOIL SAE Synthetic Premium Protection 20w50 (Product Code AROQT)
(zinc – 1379 ppm, phosphorus 1266 ppm)
AMSOIL Dominator Synthetic 15w50 Racing Motor Oil
(Product Code RD50QT)
(zinc – 1575 ppm, phosphorus 1474 ppm)

The Dominator is the better choice for the track, but doesn't have much in the way of detergents or dispersants needed for a daily driver. But, if you change your oil often, they probably aren't needed.

The Premium Performance is a really good oil with only slightly less ZDDP than that of the Dominator racing oil, but does have the detergents and dispersants needed for daily driving. If you drive more than 3k miles per oil change, I'd go with the former.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 08-03-2009, 07:46 AM
Rob's 73
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by waddisme
At the track, it gets up over 290* with pressure at 30 lbs or less going down straights.
I'm surprised you kept running it. My new motor was a little better than that, low 30's oil pressure, with the same oil. I ran one session and took the motor back to the builder. They tightened up the bearing clearances and I have great oil pressure now with 5w30. Haven't been back to the track yet. What oil pump are you running? I am using the GM High Volume. The thicker oil is not helping with the temps. My cruise temp dropped 10 degrees with the new bearings and thinner oil.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:41 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

You guys need a bigger oil cooler and may be a bigger radiator for those 40x motors.

Really should get those oil temps down under 250*
Old 08-03-2009, 09:34 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Rob's 73
I'm surprised you kept running it. My new motor was a little better than that, low 30's oil pressure, with the same oil. I ran one session and took the motor back to the builder. They tightened up the bearing clearances and I have great oil pressure now with 5w30. Haven't been back to the track yet. What oil pump are you running? I am using the GM High Volume. The thicker oil is not helping with the temps. My cruise temp dropped 10 degrees with the new bearings and thinner oil.
Oil pump is a Texas Speed ported and shimmed LS6. Not sure I could go as low as 30W, but seems like a 40W would help with temps, but I would rather address oil temps with cooler.

Like I said, I am already on Plan E with cooler. If new configuration (Vararam and stock shroud) doesn't help, then, I will do fresh air mod and move cooler to bumper. Thanks for input.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:33 PM
Rob's 73
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The GM High Volume pump is supposed to be able to flow about 30% more than the LS6 pump. I think they are less than $100. Good luck.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:58 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by waddisme
Oil pump is a Texas Speed ported and shimmed LS6. Not sure I could go as low as 30W, but seems like a 40W would help with temps, but I would rather address oil temps with cooler.

Like I said, I am already on Plan E with cooler. If new configuration (Vararam and stock shroud) doesn't help, then, I will do fresh air mod and move cooler to bumper. Thanks for input.
Get rid of the v-ram. those are for drag racers and may hurt low to mid range performance then help. High Velocity of air not high volume which provides much more torque and better all around performance.

A calloway honker, Hooker or Halltech CAI. Put the oil cooler as a stand alone in front of the radiator. Bigger radiator if you dont already have for that 402.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:58 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Get rid of the v-ram. those are for drag racers and may hurt low to mid range performance then help. High Velocity of air not high volume which provides much more torque and better all around performance.

A calloway honker, Hooker or Halltech CAI. Put the oil cooler as a stand alone in front of the radiator. Bigger radiator if you dont already have for that 402.
I have the DeWitts, so no issues with coolant temps. Oil cooler is centered right in front of ac condensor. I had the Halltech intake, but it would not fit over shroud without pressing shroud against oil cooler. So I was using it with my MTI shroud which has the hole in the middle. I was getting 20 mins at Lowes in 90* heat before oil temps got to 290+. But this did not completely seal the air flow, so I thought I would just change the whole air intake so I could use stock shroud. Now all is sealed. I will see how this does Friday at HOT Road Atl. Thanks for the input.

I ordered the AMSOIL 20-50 premium from Subdriver so I will see how that does.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:00 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

290* is still too high

Good Luck at HOTLanta

Get notified of new replies

To Is 15-50/5-50 the right oil for me?

Quick Reply: Is 15-50/5-50 the right oil for me?