Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone tried to mount the Alcons being sold on eBay?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 12:10 AM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Has anyone tried to mount the Alcons being sold on eBay?

I need to improve my brakes in the rear, have AP 6 pot up front and stock C5 Z06 singles out back on a C5Z. This makes for a very unbalanced system.

Cash is a concern. I am being taunted by the 4 pot Alcons (and many Wilwoods) on eBay. Has anyone been able to mount them on a C5?

Many of them are lug mount on 3.50" centers. The adapters I see are too small for the C5 knuckle.

There are a few radial mount Alcons as well. Any experience with these?

The back-up plan is to put the old front 2 pots out back, but I would prefer a solution whereby I get to keep the parking brake - comes in handy at state inspection time.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:16 AM
ibjamin
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about putting the C6 Z51 rotors and brackets on the rear. Go from a 12" rotor to a 13" one on the rear to better balance the 14" front. Use same stock calipers.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:58 AM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ibjamin
How about putting the C6 Z51 rotors and brackets on the rear. Go from a 12" rotor to a 13" one on the rear to better balance the 14" front. Use same stock calipers.
That was the question that just got me out of the rack. Are there rotors available that allow me to keep the parking brake, use my stock fronts, and avoid a screw around project slicing up my rears (backing plate, sticking cables somewhere, etc)? I will look at that option...now, back to sleep.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:29 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kmagvette
I need to improve my brakes in the rear, have AP 6 pot up front and stock C5 Z06 singles out back on a C5Z. This makes for a very unbalanced system.
Easiest and cheapest solution is to increase the coefficient of friction in the rear. Ferado racing pads go up to .72
http://www.federal-mogul.com/en/Afte...03+Brake+Pads/
assuming of course they carry C5 rears and if you can get them up to operating temp. Ferado lists the Cf and carries Alcon pad sizes; by knowing the exact Cf you can calculate the increase in rear bias. Increasing the radius of the rotor will yield 8% greater braking force, which is useful along with being a better heat sink but if you were to switch your pad Cf from .5(average racing pad) to .62(DS 3000) that would be a 24% increase in rear braking force. What pads are you using front and rear right now?
Old 08-02-2009, 06:48 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

if Cash is a concern then put the stock C5Z FRONT calipers and rotors on the rear. and Use HAWK DTC-70 brake pads back there too.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:09 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
if Cash is a concern then put the stock C5Z FRONT calipers and rotors on the rear. and Use HAWK DTC-70 brake pads back there too.
So you can put the front rotors and caliper on the rear, is it a straight bolt on?
Old 08-02-2009, 09:59 AM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Cash is a concern to the extent that I don't have 3K laying around, unallocated, to do AP's in the rear. I am not willing to dig into the cage fund. If there is something I can do that is in the $800 range and it is a better solution than stock fronts to the rear, that would work. Especially if it is a non-destructive solution with respect to the parking brake.

I am intrigued by ibjamin's suggestion of putting C6 Z51 brackets and rotors back there and using my stock fronts. Does everything fit? I almost is too convenient if it does.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:15 AM
JVetthead
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by beerkat
So you can put the front rotors and caliper on the rear, is it a straight bolt on?
yep.. allmost. You use the front brackets and front rotor. Have to lose the parking brake tho.. I cut away the backing plate for better cooling.

Oh... and allways carry around a 2x4 block for those not so level padocks

Last edited by JVetthead; 08-02-2009 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:16 AM
Lan.Jet
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just put the C6Z06 back brakes on. that's around $800 and it has the parking brake.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:19 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

What model Alcon? Is ther an Ebay link?
Old 08-02-2009, 10:57 AM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

I installed C6 Z51 size DBA 4k rotors on the rear of my C5Z. Just buy the C6 Z51 brackets and the calipers bolt right up, basically plug-n-play. Cash is tight for me now...

Old 08-02-2009, 12:04 PM
coffey
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe get the ebay calipers, use an off the shelf big rear rotor that keeps the parking brake and mount up your calipers as you see fit. Adapters aren't too hard to make.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:10 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by coffey
Maybe get the ebay calipers, use an off the shelf big rear rotor that keeps the parking brake and mount up your calipers as you see fit. Adapters aren't too hard to make.
Do the ebay calipers have the right pistons sizes or are you still in for a bias problem compared to the fronts and now you've bought yourself a master cylinder upgrade, too?
Old 08-02-2009, 12:27 PM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ghoffman
What model Alcon? Is ther an Ebay link?
Long winded PM sent.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:41 PM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gkmccready
Do the ebay calipers have the right pistons sizes or are you still in for a bias problem compared to the fronts and now you've bought yourself a master cylinder upgrade, too?
Sure, make me take stuff off the car ...

The stock front pistons are 1.6", stock rears are 1.75". Ignoring rotor size (I know you really can't), assuming the stock master is retained, and identical pads are used...

Stock fronts have a piston area of 4.02 sq in.
Stock rears have a piston area of 2.41 sq in.
Rear piston area is 60% of the front piston area.

My AP Fronts have 2 sets of 3 pistons, each set is {1.5", 1.25", 1.0"} yielding and effective piston area of 7.56 sq in per caliper...gee, I wonder why the stock rears feel useless

So, more assuming, the front rotor got about 1" bigger, and my best guess is that the rear will be about 1" larger when all is said and done. So call that a wash. Maintaining the stock 60% rear piston area to front piston area with the AP's up front would dictate a 4 pot rear with 1.2" pistons. The stock setup is a bit weak in the back, so slightly larger pistons might not be all that bad.

Things that screw up all the above elementary calculations and assumptions:
  1. Relative pad area
  2. Real impact of different rotor sizes
  3. Other stuff I managed to miss mostly because I really don't know what I'm doing...but am willing to learn.

With all the variables out there, including the wants of a particular track, I see and adjustable master in my future. My current goal is to get something that is much closer to matched than the AP fronts and stock rears without depleting my cage fund.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:10 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe the cheapest way out is the DRM master cylinder? Randy@DRM has been asking me if I have a high, hard pedal with my Wilwood SL6Rs (1.62, 1.2, 1.2 pistons)... I think he's looking at the MC angle but I haven't really asked him because my pedal feels "okay" and the car stops well.

Where'd you get the AP fronts? They should be able to help you figure this out. :-)
Old 08-02-2009, 02:46 PM
J.R.
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I was running Wilwood 6 piston front and stock c5 rear with the stock master cyl. and it seemed to work o.k.

When I added the Wilwood 4 piston rear (SL4R) I needed more volume and went to the DRM master cylinder with proportioning valve adjustment built in and it works like a dream.

However, be aware, as you increase brake sizing it may possibly create some ABS issues with the C5 stock brake system. Seems to be more of an issue on pre 2001 units.

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone tried to mount the Alcons being sold on eBay?

Old 08-02-2009, 02:47 PM
coffey
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah talking to the mfgrs is helpful. I second that.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:45 PM
2MCHPWR
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

can you get the Baer Eradispeed Brake Rotor for C5 and Z06 Corvette?
"...the 2pc 14 inch rear rotor kit requires slight modifications."

Old 08-02-2009, 05:50 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by 2MCHPWR
can you get the Baer Eradispeed Brake Rotor for C5 and Z06 Corvette?
"...the 2pc 14 inch rear rotor kit requires slight modifications."

Yes, they are available with smooth or slotted (without holes) rotors as well. The abutment brackets are part of the kit.

Quick Reply: Has anyone tried to mount the Alcons being sold on eBay?