Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Data Recorder with GPS Recomendation

Old 07-29-2009, 09:49 PM
vettejockey
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Data Recorder with GPS Recomendation

I am thinking of buying a data recorder with GPS so I could use some recomendations.

One question I have how does the GPS work does it create the track you are on or do you have to download tracks and it identifies where you are.

An thoughts on how much it will help with autocross I do several autocross events a year and about 5 to 8 HPDE events which is the main reason I am buying one. Eventually I would like to try sonme Time Attack events if I can get fast enough.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:41 PM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We use the RACEPAK G2X GPS system. No beacon to forget at the track. Builds its own track maps but has a forum where you can download maps too. Integrated video in the software and you can export to TRACKVISION if you buy their software. Lots of sensors you can add. If you have a C6, you can plug directly into your service port to collect real time data on your existing stock sensors (C5 can't do that as its a different bus speed).

Check www.racepak.com and look at their forums........lots of good info. Or you can call/email tim @ racepak.com
Old 07-30-2009, 04:24 PM
vettejockey
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the information I called them today they were helpful. I am still investigating other options if anyone else has any recomendations.

I am wondering which of these options data logging or video capture improve performance more for someone just begining?
Old 07-30-2009, 04:31 PM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

One of the most popular for open track anyway is the DL1. For autox, the Traqmate and MaxQData are popular choices.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:40 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know if it helps right off the bat. I think it could, so long as you have a good coach. I think consistency is the important thing early on. If you get that, lot of other things become possible. For example, without consistent lap times, you will not be able to accurately look at tire temps. Without consistent laps, you can't develop the cadence of the track.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:38 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

I've got a Traqmate. Their software lets you display a huge number of parameters on your computer to analyze your track sessions.

Here's a screenshot of a session at VIR and you can see I've got a graph partially covering up the track map, but the graph is displaying speed, RPM, and throttle position:

If you have video, Traqmate has a software (TraqStudio) that integrates and synchronizes your video and data like you see below:

You can also have the software write a video file with the "dashboard" overlaid on the video like you see in the video below of Sebring:

There's software by TrackVision that will put the dashboard on video using data from many different data-loggers, but the way Traqmate integrates the data and video on your computer really gives you a great analysis tool.

Some of the other data-loggers mentioned just plug into the OBD port to gather sensor data for info about oil tem, oil press, coolant temp, etc. With Traqmate, you have to splice into the wire coming from those sensors and run it to your Traqmate, so it's not as easy to get that kind of info as it would be just plugging into the OBD port.

Bob
Old 07-31-2009, 06:11 AM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Life@200MPH
I am thinking of buying a data recorder with GPS so I could use some recomendations.

One question I have how does the GPS work does it create the track you are on or do you have to download tracks and it identifies where you are.

An thoughts on how much it will help with autocross I do several autocross events a year and about 5 to 8 HPDE events which is the main reason I am buying one. Eventually I would like to try sonme Time Attack events if I can get fast enough.
I'll do about 12 autocross and 6 HPDEs this year. I am using the MaxQ. It's software is focused on comparing two laps against each other, either two autocross runs or two different HPDE laps.

A buddy of mine has some videos of the software running here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdNZwzFYOBQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kntkJg5gck

All of the track maps are generated automatically using GPS data.

MaxQ feeds TrackVision as well so you can combine it with video. I have several examples here: http://www.youtube.com/bertschmitz

Although the videos are flashy, the actual learning comes from comparing two different laps. You can try different things on the course and see how that affects lap times. Or if you can datalog a faster driver, you can see what they are doing to make them quicker.

The MaxQ is entirely portable so it is easy to drop into other cars to collect data from different drivers and compare to your own.

Bert
Old 07-31-2009, 12:32 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone make a unit that taps into OBDII for a C5 generation computer (2004 Z06)? Or is the only option splicing into all the various sensor wires?
Old 07-31-2009, 05:24 PM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Everett Ogilvie
Does anyone make a unit that taps into OBDII for a C5 generation computer (2004 Z06)? Or is the only option splicing into all the various sensor wires?
There was talk a year or so ago that the data rate of the data rate on the C5's isn't fast enough to get too much meaningful data. I've talked to RacePak (I own a G2X) about it before and they agreed that it was slow and that's one of the reasons they started with the C6's.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...a-systems.html

With regards to splicing into existing sensor wires, my impression is that on some sensors that is ok to do, but on others, it will change the output of the sensor too much. I don't know if this is true or if things are being blown out of proportion, ie, does a sensor being 1 degF off really matter? I've heard of people tapping into the throttle position sensor as is shown above. I'd sure like to know which sensors are ok to splice.

Last edited by MySR71; 07-31-2009 at 05:26 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:18 AM
2MCHPWR
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Everett Ogilvie

race-keeper sells a unit with an OBDII adapter. No splicing. It just plugs into your OBDII port and right into their unit.
PM me for a coupon code to get a free extra camera.

Last edited by 2MCHPWR; 08-01-2009 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:24 AM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2MCHPWR
race-keeper sells a unit with an OBDII adapter. No splicing. It just plugs into your OBDII port and right into their unit.
PM me for a coupon code to get a free extra camera.
Thanks for the reply - looks like a nice unit. I suppose the question is whether my ECU (speed) is acceptable to provide an adequate data stream. I will definitely keep this unit in mind, thanks again.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:57 PM
vettejockey
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks again for all the great information.

I can see having these units is a good way to look at a track session in much more detail instead of just looking at times. I can also appreciate having a coach is another inmportant key to consitancy and better sessions.

Get notified of new replies

To Data Recorder with GPS Recomendation

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Data Recorder with GPS Recomendation