Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Wetter does it help and how did you use it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 08:56 AM
vettejockey
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Water Wetter does it help and how did you use it?

I read the bottle and the directions were to add to your normal coolant mixture to lower temps. Has anyone done this, how much did you add, and what effect did it have?
Old 07-25-2009, 11:22 AM
coffey
Racer

The whole bottle. Dependent on the car it may help it cool better. It reduces surface tension and helps the coolant make better contact with parts of the system. This makes for better heat transfer.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:08 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

drain the radiator, add Water Wetter, refill fwith plain water.

Repeat but put antifreeze back in before Winter.

If you just drain the radiator, you only get about 1/2 the coolant out, which gives you some benefit of WaterWetter but also keeps some of the benefits of anti-freeze.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:40 PM
lbarnard
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you refill use distilled water
Old 07-25-2009, 03:42 PM
fred_S
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
drain the radiator, add Water Wetter, refill fwith plain water.

Repeat but put antifreeze back in before Winter.

If you just drain the radiator, you only get about 1/2 the coolant out, which gives you some benefit of WaterWetter but also keeps some of the benefits of anti-freeze.
I think the coolant also works as a lubricant for the water pump, only water with 1 bottle of WaterWetter might not be the best solution. From my own experience I know it does help with cooling. In my old car (TVR Griffith 4.3 V8) I took out about half of the coolant, filled with water and tested the engine temps. Then took out a bit of coolant and put in WaterWetter, engine temp were lower, and after some spirited driving the engine cooled down quicker. So in my case it worked, it doesn't do miracles but it does help if your cooling is on the edge.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:32 PM
0Robert@SPEEDSOUTH
Former Vendor

Water Wetter acts as a lube for the water pump as well.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:15 PM
flink
Racer

I'm not sure that I trust Water Wetter's lubricating properties so I'm currently on 25% dexcool and one bottle of WW.
I haven't got the thing onto a track since doing this so I can't comment on the difference, but ECTs did seem a little
lower in street driving.

fwiw, this guy spent some time looking into the WW chemistry and came up with a thumbs-down: http://www.wizdforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2338
Old 07-26-2009, 09:28 AM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 131 Posts

I believe in it. My car is a 1994 C4, 383 autocross car. We had two drivers at a poorly attended event, maybe 16 drivers so we were running pretty much non-stop and we didn't have time to shut the car off between runs. 94 degree day in FL. Highest temp was 182. Fans brought it back down to 172 almost immediately.

4 bottles of WW and the rest Prestone premix.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:39 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

I did back-to-back race tests years ago at the Savannah double national. I used Water Wetter on the 2d race. It made no difference. Save your money.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:27 PM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Chris

What was your mix prior to the WW? I've always used two bottles of WW and distilled water........no problems except when the thing throws a belt!!!
Old 07-28-2009, 01:39 AM
coffey
Racer

Far too many people have tested it and showed results for anyone to doubt it. It works different car to car but it does work. I worked at a race school for a while and we ran water and WW, that's it. The cars had 13b rotaries in them which make lot's of heat. The water pumps almost NEVER died. They would outlast multiple motors.

I have been told that WW is nothing much more than soap but I'm not a chemist so whatever.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:08 AM
klasik-69
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used a similar product in my 67 GTO and saw no difference in temperatures. I used strictly water to the WW product, in the ratios recommended. One thing I noticed after about 4 months was a lot of corrosion in the neck/cap area of my Be Cool radiator. I started to wonder what the inside of the radiator was doing as well. I drained the stuff out and went back to a 50/50 mix of water and antifreeze. The car runs hot but doesn't overheat unless I really push it hard. The WW never brought the temps down, and the cool down took just as long. Sorry, not a believer of these products.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:24 AM
vettejockey
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks to everyone for the information.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:28 AM
0Robert@SPEEDSOUTH
Former Vendor

Water Wetter does lube the water pump as does standard antifreeze.

Antifreeze will not keep a car as cool as distilled water.

Tap water will leave residue in a cooling system.

If a car is never exposed to freezing conditions then a combination of some sort of water pump lube and distilled water is best to keep the car as cool as possible.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:05 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CP Thunder
Chris

What was your mix prior to the WW? I've always used two bottles of WW and distilled water........no problems except when the thing throws a belt!!!
I tried it at Savannah one year by just adding it to the mix (probably 30% antifreeze) and didn't see any temp differences at all.

The next year I dropped the mix level down to 10% antifreeze, used fresh distilled water and did a race. The very next day's race I added the water wetter and just as before, saw no difference in coolant temps.

Waste your money if you want.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:21 PM
ryan0
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by wtknght1
I tried it at Savannah one year by just adding it to the mix (probably 30% antifreeze) and didn't see any temp differences at all.

The next year I dropped the mix level down to 10% antifreeze, used fresh distilled water and did a race. The very next day's race I added the water wetter and just as before, saw no difference in coolant temps.

Waste your money if you want.

you run anti-freeze at the track?
Old 07-28-2009, 01:38 PM
0Robert@SPEEDSOUTH
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ryan0
Thats how I was first introduced to the product. It was probably mid to late '90s or so, when I was still doing motorcycle track events and they called it by name in the supps, that either straight water, or water and Water Wetter could be used, but no antifreeze was allowed.

Get notified of new replies

To Water Wetter does it help and how did you use it?

Old 07-28-2009, 01:46 PM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

some tracks are like that........I know we HATE antifreeze at MAM........WORSE than oil!!!
Old 07-28-2009, 01:54 PM
ryan0
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CP Thunder
some tracks are like that........I know we HATE antifreeze at MAM........WORSE than oil!!!

no doubt.. i didn't think anyone who knew better still did this.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:02 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ryan0
There's nothing wrong with that. Since I race all year round, and the temp sometimes drops into the single digits at night (like December, January, Feb), I keep about 10-15% of antifreeze in there. It keeps everything lubed up in there and the block from cracking (or freeze plugs popping out). I also still drive the car on the street some, so I see nothing wrong with protecting the cooling system.

Quick Reply: Water Wetter does it help and how did you use it?