Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPDE C5 / C6 brake cooling idea?

Old 07-24-2009, 11:17 AM
minitech
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Default HPDE C5 / C6 brake cooling idea?

Brake cooling is a major issue with HPDE. Has anyone thought of putting inline fans in the 4 inch brake ducts in front? So while in HPDE turn on the high output fans to blow air across the brakes at a constant air pressure whether going fast or slow; while stopped and cooling off?

I've been looking around at the fans some and some claim good pass through flow when they are off so wouldn't effect stock driving. There are fans that would drop inside the tube easily.

Just wondering because the ducts are there already.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:09 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Old 07-24-2009, 12:46 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

they are relatively common in racing, although I've never done it.

So a 4" round duct gives nearly 800cfm at 100mph, so I think you'd need at least that much flow as a baseline. I don't know how much cost/amperage you'd need to get 800cfm per duct, but I'd be interested to see what you come up with.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:17 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought of that before. Only for helping pull air out of the engine bay. Then thought about inline in the brake ducts. 3" or 4" bilge blower from an inboard/outboard boat would be cheap. About $30. Something like this.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...ID=1008&r=view
Old 07-24-2009, 01:38 PM
cgh1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I never have done the fan thing on a non race car but then I don't really care for the way the brake ducts are plumbed on the C5/C6 (esp. C5).

As an alternative, on my C5s, I got a couple of NACA ducts, trimmed down the bezel to fit in the stock nostril openings of OEM brake ducts and then put swimming pool vacuum cleaner hose on each port of the NACAs (the dual ported ducts). From there, I routed one hose to the center of the rotor about 1/8th of an inch away; and the other I pointed at the caliper, again within an inch of contact. Using hi-temp zip ties I secured the hoses where they'd move with the wheel/brake system up front.

I got all but the NACA ducts from Home Depot for less than $30 (50 feet of vacuum hose - lots left over) and I never had another issue with my brakes.

When I got rid of each car, I'd kept the OEM system and simply reinstalled it in about 30 mins per car.

I posted a how-to out here some time ago with lots of photos, etc. but that was several years & server migrations ago... don't know if it's still hanging around or not.

The thing with fans is you have to get one that not only moves enough air but also rotates at a speed high enough that it doesn't get in the way and negatively impact (restrict) airflow at high speed. David (Farmer) is very knowledgeable in those kinds of things (as displayed in his post here) and he could probably make some recco's on how to accomplish your mission with fans.

Last edited by cgh1; 07-24-2009 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:47 PM
minitech
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
they are relatively common in racing, although I've never done it.

So a 4" round duct gives nearly 800cfm at 100mph, so I think you'd need at least that much flow as a baseline. I don't know how much cost/amperage you'd need to get 800cfm per duct, but I'd be interested to see what you come up with.

Anyone know what they are called in racing, just to be able to search for it?

Maybe connect up so when switched to the OFF position they generate power to charge the battery with the 400cfm at 50mph avg (is the cfm a linear number for flow on that?)
Old 07-24-2009, 02:03 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Well a long time ago we had a tube and a tube with a fan on our flow bench. The fan actually restricts airflow and causes less air to go into the brake system. With the fan on it reduces flow even more.

Randy
Old 07-24-2009, 02:35 PM
aggie_corvette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you could always try one of these, i have no idea what the CFM is though.

Ebay
electric supercharger

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Turbo...%3A1|72%3A1171

or try a ducted fan from an RC airplane

http://cgi.ebay.com/60mm-6-Blades-Du...%3A1|294%3A200

Old 07-24-2009, 03:39 PM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

OK, that "Electric turbocharger" is just plain funny. I have many year of working on boats and that sure looks like a bilge blower to me.

I had a slightly different take on the use of blowers. I pondered leaving my DRM Ducts/Hose alone, but using the blowers to get air on the calipers. Sounds like a decent idea when car guys and alcohol are mixed.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:55 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

brake cooling fans on ebay
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/__?_from...g+fans&_sacat=

$22 each
Old 07-24-2009, 04:11 PM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

More NMEA certified bilge blowers...but at a good price
Old 07-24-2009, 04:25 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Of course, you already have a fan in your car that hardly ever does anything... The AIR system fan. Normally, it blows fresh air into the exhaust manifold just post startup, to make sure the can can pass a cold emission test. However, it shuts down and doesn't work thereafter.

I didn't come up with this but thought it was pretty trick: A friend with a tracked C4 put his AIR fan on a switch, and ducted it over to his rotors. He's actually got two hoses pointed at them: One from a nice high pressure spot on the front of the car and one from the old AIR system.

Often, your session will get flagged in, and you have to come into the pits from a hot lap, or you will get flagged to a halt on the course. In those cases, the brakes have no time to cool and could very well crack a rotor. The fan in the AIR system helps with that.

Nice use of a system that I would have just pulled for weight from most racecars.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:47 PM
flink
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
brake cooling fans on ebay
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/__?_from...g+fans&_sacat=

$22 each
Yes, I had a couple of those on the GTO for a while:

powered off the foglights and positioned so they wouldn't get rusted up if it rained.

They were too much fuss to use and I felt that they weren't necessarily any better than using natural flow, especially on fast tracks. So I dumped them and installed dual ducts instead.

I still go through brake components at supernatural speeds though
Old 07-24-2009, 04:51 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Did not LG say he only used brake fans on Yellow flag laps too cool the brakes when there is not enough air flowing ?
Old 07-24-2009, 05:09 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,916 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Even if they improved air flow would they really fit in a street driven C5? The description says they are 4 inches in diameter and 8 inches long. Not sure where I would mount them.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 07-24-2009 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:42 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Did not LG say he only used brake fans on Yellow flag laps too cool the brakes when there is not enough air flowing ?
Exactly....once the car is moving at 100-150 + mph down the road the fan is more of a restriction than it is a benefit.

If you were doing endurance events and might see a caution period of 5-8 laps then yes you may see a use for them, but even at that it would be track dependent.

Our cooling ducts work very well and would not need a cooling fan for HPDE guys, or those even running 1 hr sessions on track.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:53 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by cgh1
I got all but the NACA ducts from Home Depot for less than $30
Huh? You talking about aluminum?
Link?

Get notified of new replies

To HPDE C5 / C6 brake cooling idea?

Old 07-24-2009, 07:38 PM
0Louis @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, they impede flow at high speeds. You need a true brake duct, it will be much much more effective than the fans.

Fans= 12ga shotgun aiming at a deer....

Good brake ducts= 7mm magnum aiming at a deer
Old 07-24-2009, 08:32 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

buy a fan and run it into a hose at 100 mph then do the same thing with just a hose and the testing will be over.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:16 AM
cgh1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sperkins
Huh? You talking about aluminum?
Link?
Nope, NACA ducts are brand of ducts that are used in focusing air direction. Here's a link to the model I used and removed the bezel.

The vacuum cleaner hose was not aluminum, it was industrial grade vinyl hose, that serendipitously has a high melting temp.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HPDE C5 / C6 brake cooling idea?