Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPDE brake question

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 05:51 AM
worldsaway
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPDE brake question

I'm an autox guy about to do a hpde at talladega with my '04 Z06. I'm reading all the cracked rotor threads and I have a few questions. Could someone post a picture of a cracked rotor so I know where I should be looking? Jeez, that sounds like I don't know what a rotor looks like or where it goes. No, I'm not gonna ask about changing my blinker fluid or replacing my muffler bearings next. Should I bring a spare set of rotors? I have a new set in the box, but they're baer accelarotor 2 pc drilled/slotted. Will those crack worse than 1 pc? Thanx. Ed
Old 07-24-2009, 07:01 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't have a pic of a cracked rotor, but you will certainly know what one is when you see it. Your rotors will heat checker from heavy use = Small spider web cracks in the surface of the friction area of the rotor. The cracks can be small but will eventually spread and if one reaches the perimiter of the rotor, its life is very short. Any spider crack that you can feel by running a finger nail across it is cause to discard the rotor in my opinion. I have had major failures where the crack is 1 1/2 to 2" long and breaks through the front surface completely. These usually happen in the pits when parked - always inspect prior to next run group after cool down ! Yes definitely take a spare set of fronts and forget about using the Baer drilled / slotted on the track - they will self distruct quickly with track use.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:24 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Last edited by AU N EGL; 07-26-2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:28 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

rotors dont crack on the track, they crack mainly do to drivers not taking the time too cool their brakes down.

After the checkered flag, slow down a bit, dont use the brakes, and drive around the paddock to get cool air on the rotors.

and once you stop, in about 5 min, move the car, 1/2 a wheel rotation.

Rotors crack do the heat difference between the HOT brake pad, the rotor storing heat next to the brake pad and parts of rotor not by the brake pad cooling down faster.

When you get that temp difference you get the unforgettable 'TING' sound of a rotor cracking.

Drive around a bit too cool your brakes down helps

Old 07-24-2009, 08:00 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Go to NAPA or autozone and buy a spare set of cheap ones to take to the track with you. If you don't need them, someone else will.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:46 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Jason
Go to NAPA or autozone and buy a spare set of cheap ones to take to the track with you. If you don't need them, someone else will.
Someone like Jason

He is the king of cracked rotors!
Old 07-24-2009, 11:09 AM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

And don't set your E-brake..........!!!! Thats a tough one if you are in the HABIT of doing that.........put a post-it up on the dash somewhere if you have to but don't set that brake!!

And like AU N EGL said.........MAKE sure you move the car after a few mins. Keeps the pads off the rotors in one spot for too long and baking material onto the rotor.

You might not need a set of rotors (don't recommend drilled) but you might need a set of pads and some good brake fluid for a bleed if you overheat your brakes.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:28 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
rotors dont crack on the track, they crack mainly do to drivers not taking the time too cool their brakes down.

After the checkered flag, slow down a bit, dont use the brakes, and drive around the paddock to get cool air on the rotors.

Rotors crack do the heat difference between the HOT brake pad, the rotor storing heat next to the brake pad and parts of rotor not by the brake pad cooling down faster.

When you get that temp difference you get the unforgettable 'TING' sound of a rotor cracking.

Drive around a bit too cool your brakes down helps

And after you've done all this and settle back with a nice cold water sometimes you still get the dreaded 'TING' BUT, if you don't follow AU N EGL's advise you'll definitely get to hear it.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:13 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Call Paul at Van Steele's in Fl. He has cryoed rotors that last at least twice as long as OEM. They are a little pricey, but then I don't mind paying the difference because I am tired of changing rotors at the track in the heat of mid afternoon sun!! He is a supporter of this web site, too.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:20 PM
WBHighwind
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AU N EGL

The dont use the brakes on the cool down lap is the biggest part IMO. You can maintain a good 50-60 mph for the whole cool down lap without a safety issue and at that speed its going to take a considerable amount of heat out of the brakes. I always try to use the brakes as little as possible on the cool down lap and let the car slow down on its own as Im approaching the pits.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:55 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

If you are going to be using the stock Z pads you probably will not crack a rotor. The people who crack rotors are usually using racing pads which operate at a much higher temperature than the stock pad. Although the Z pad is more aggressive than the standard C5 pad I ran my 97 for 3 seasons on stock pads before I needed to change the rotors. However, on my Z I have the DRM ducts, LG spindle ducts, use Wilwood H racing pads and I usually get 3 or 4 days out of a rotor whether it is made in the US, Canada or China.

Bill
Old 07-26-2009, 03:57 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WBHighwind
The dont use the brakes on the cool down lap is the biggest part IMO.
For years I was told "don't use the brakes on the cool down lap." But in the past few years somebody explained that not using them can get you in trouble, too. Now I try to use them, but use them less and lighter as the cool down lap goes on. If you go cold-turkey on the brakes they can see the temperature change from one extreme to the other too quickly. If you ease back you can bring them down to "cool" more gradually.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:02 PM
flink
Racer

Originally Posted by gkmccready
For years I was told "don't use the brakes on the cool down lap." But in the past few years somebody explained that not using them can get you in trouble, too. Now I try to use them, but use them less and lighter as the cool down lap goes on. If you go cold-turkey on the brakes they can see the temperature change from one extreme to the other too quickly. If you ease back you can bring them down to "cool" more gradually.
Yes, I prefer to use the brakes lightly on the cooldown lap too.

But it's probably pointless. The maximum rate of temperature change will happen at the time when the brakes are at their maximum temperature and when the air flow is at its maximum. In other words: when you're flying down the front straight.

If the rotors don't crack from rapid cooling on the front straight then they won't crack on the cooldown lap either.

A good reason for using brakes on the cooldown lap is so you can get your *** off the track faster

Get notified of new replies

To HPDE brake question

Quick Reply: HPDE brake question