Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Stig Unmasked???

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 07:10 AM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Default The Stig Unmasked???

Old 07-21-2009, 07:34 AM
GOTHAM VETTE
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this for real?? What episode/ Season is it from??

Last edited by GOTHAM VETTE; 07-21-2009 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:46 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

First episode of the current season. MS played the role of Stig and drove his personal FXX on Top Gear's track. Shaved almost 7 seconds off the track record, but they pulled the time off the board when they revealed he made the run on full slicks, not street-legal tires.

It's been known for some time that the character of the Stig has been filled by several different drivers for special cars. For example, when the Stig ran one of Toyota's F1 cars inside a trade show building, that was an actual F1 driver (although the driver's identity was never revealed).

So, the Stig that tests the more "normal" cars is still a mystery. It was a great interview with MS, though.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 07-21-2009, 09:01 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Makes sense, the teams wouldn't want to hand their cars off to just anybody.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:02 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

there are more "great" drivers in this world than you can throw a stick at, so it really doesn't matter who the Stig is.............good entertainment and a fun show though!
Old 07-21-2009, 11:24 AM
coffey
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
there are more "great" drivers in this world than you can throw a stick at, so it really doesn't matter who the Stig is.............good entertainment and a fun show though!
It does matter though. It keeps the hype going and makes a good show. If they revealed you as the Stig, people would be like,"Who the hell is this Farmer guy?"
They have been making up stories about who the Stig is since his identity was supposedly uncovered last year.
But when it comes down to putting laps on the board, it should be the same guy. Whoever it is, they need to be highly skilled and consistent for the lap times to mean anything. I doubt that it's actually Schuey all the time though.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:01 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by coffey
But when it comes down to putting laps on the board, it should be the same guy.
And it usually is, IMO. The only times there's even been a hint of someone posting a lap time has been with the really unique cars, like the Maserati MP-12 or the Koneigseggggggggggg.

All of the truly available cars have been driven by the same driver, again IMO.

Now, when the Stig makes an appearance in another segment, like the F1 car stunt, then all bets are off.

It's great, though, to have a legitimately entertaining car show to watch.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 07-21-2009, 03:23 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

you misunderstand, but "not mattering" I mean that the actual person doesn't matter. I agree it needs to be consistent, but the actual driver is irrelevant and it most likely isn't anyone we've ever heard of.

I'm saying it need not be a "schumacher" to be both entertaining and educational. It can simply be some good, local club racer that works for minimum wage..........as long as we don't know.

Does anyone believe that a serious professional driver has time or patience to sit around and deal with the crew of this show week after week???? Hell, even the "Stig's African cousin" walked off of the job when the went across the desert!
Old 07-21-2009, 03:59 PM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I imagine "the Stig" that does the test track stuff probably lives reasonably nearby and they do all of their shooting in advance, so I'd also imagine that it is more like a few days of shooting once a year rather than "week after week."

No doubt, the stig on special locations is probably someone else, I would think the test track Stiggy would be the same.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:03 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

I just thought it was entertaining that TG threw that out there, definetly something they cooked up with MS for some shock & awe & ultimately some entertainment for an episode at most I believe.

The Stig's "fast lap" is usually one of the best parts of the show....I now listen to Morse code when I drive!!!
Old 07-21-2009, 10:23 PM
Wren
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '03

When they came to America, fat Stig was one of the Shelton boys from the Shelton automotive group. He has his suit with a special tag sewn in to it that says it was for him. He is from the southern Florida area where they were shooting.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:59 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Haven't there been 3 full time "Stiggies" in the run of TG (not counting guest Stiggies)?
Old 07-21-2009, 11:31 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Only 2 that I know of. The original Stig wore a black uniform, and after the driver revealed his identity TG drove him off a carrier. This past year there's been lots of chatter about White Stig's identity, but nothing truly revealed.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:53 PM
rad_vet
Racer

A few months back there was a story that the white Stig had revealed himself. The guy was someone who had been rumored to be the Stig. I forgot his name, but i think it was Ben or Collin. Maybe TG put MS up as the Stig to throw people off. MS is definately not the Stig.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:39 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

According to a T-shirt I have at home I am the Stig!
Really I'm just glad that they keep the Stig identity secret it's just one of those little misteries that we all enjoy,
Is Elvis really dead?
Who killed JFK?
Is there an area 51?
Who is the Stig?
We should just enjoy the mistery and watching the cool cars that these guys get to wring out and give us something to talk about.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:53 AM
coffey
Racer

Originally Posted by rad_vet
I forgot his name, but i think it was Ben or Collin.
Well both. Ben Collins.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:01 PM
cgh1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The Stig is actually multiple drivers - up to 5 with 3 being the 'mainstay', Ben Collins being one of them. That's all I'm gonna say.

Well, except for "what's with the music being so loud in the Schumi video?! I gave up 'cause I couldn't hear JC's questions or MS's answers..."

Get notified of new replies

To The Stig Unmasked???

Quick Reply: The Stig Unmasked???