Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pfadt Coilover Experience?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 01:17 PM
C5X2C
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pfadt Coilover Experience?

Please chime in on your experience. I've heard from one person that there are issues with these coilovers, and heard from many, many others that they love them and have had no issues. Thanks.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:25 PM
wmckeenster
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure the one you heard from that there are issues has their own agenda....I have them on both my cars (and believe me I have had others) and absolutely think they are the best your money can buy, especially in that budget range...

Just my 2 cents...

Good luck
Old 07-20-2009, 02:45 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Before I give my answer, I think Pfadt makes great products, they are great people, and provide support to the end user.

I asked the guy that runs the race shop I use and he said Pfadt coilovers are good for street/track use for for a dedicated track car he suggested going with a coilover with more adjustability.

Of course the price goes up. So you need to look at your budget and what you want for your car.

IMHO.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:48 PM
TmillerC5
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I just got back from an HPDE over the weekend. A buddy whose was following me around the track (or trying to catch up) always tells me thru the corners your car is flat as a pancake. It just doesn't lean at all. I have mine set on 10/10 and the car really handles great. On the street it's fine too. Just rides like a sports car should as I don't adjust them.
Just my .02
Tim
Old 07-20-2009, 02:55 PM
C5X2C
Racer

Hmmmm, so far 3-0 in favor.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:31 PM
FKING1
Safety Car

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

On my 2000 for 2 yrs and no issues. Autocrosses super compared to the previous F45.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:39 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 710 Likes on 491 Posts

great value for the money, no issues that I'm aware of.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:59 PM
J.R.
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Pfadt shocks

I have had them on my race car for over a year and just had them dyno'd. They were used when I got them (raced for a year prior to my purchase) and the graph looked like a brand new shock. In fact a new shock graph overlayed mine almost exact.

They rock.

I can't wait till next season so I may be able to get the new featherlights.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:00 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TmillerC5
I just got back from an HPDE over the weekend. A buddy whose was following me around the track (or trying to catch up) always tells me thru the corners your car is flat as a pancake. It just doesn't lean at all. I have mine set on 10/10 and the car really handles great. On the street it's fine too. Just rides like a sports car should as I don't adjust them.
Sure, but shocks just control the rate of movement, they shouldn't be used to limit the movement. The fact that your car stays flat is more a function of swaybars...
Old 07-20-2009, 04:58 PM
C6-CYa
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 145 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'09-', '22

I have the Pfadt coilovers and sway bars, and the handling is amazing for HPDE's. Definitely a from me...
Old 07-20-2009, 05:29 PM
Darrell ST1
Intermediate

Default Pfadt

Pfadt coilovers
Old 07-20-2009, 05:50 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gkmccready
Sure, but shocks just control the rate of movement, they shouldn't be used to limit the movement. The fact that your car stays flat is more a function of swaybars...
& spring rates
Old 07-22-2009, 05:16 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Two different cars and both with Pfadt shocks and sways. Love them and a great company to deal with. The bast bang for the buck for street and track. JD
Old 07-22-2009, 05:43 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by TmillerC5
Just my .02
Tim
I was at the same track day but I wasn't behind Tim long enough to get a good look at the flatness of the car. Tim how flat was my car going through the turns? Just kidding buddy couldn't resist .

I also have to give a for the Pfadt coil overs. We have run them for over a year and a half and have been tearing through the Midwest NASA TTS class with them (along with the Pfadt sway bars) Aaron, Josh, Jordan and the whole Pfadt crew was great helping us get the car dialed in before and at Nationals (we took 3rd). I think for the money you can't beat these coil-overs.
I do think that Hardbars dual rate Penske coils are also a very nice product but they are at a different price point.
I've installed DRM, LG and Pfadt coil-overs and I think they all do a great job of improving the handling of the cars but the Pfadt's are the only ones that are adjustable.
So if you are looking for something you can dial in, as well as soften up when you are on the street then the Pfadts are what you want. If you just want to install the coil-overs and drive then look at the Bilstiens from LG or DRM. We are just lucky to have so many great products availible to us.
Although the coil overs are just the first step, you need to have the coils installed and adjusted (ride heights and cross weights) properly to get the most out of them.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:50 PM
kelp
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They're great. Adjustable so you can drive home with your girlfriend who doesnot complain. Get the teflon pivot (see their website) and you can swap out the springs to something you calculate is for you. Great C/O.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:19 PM
C5X2C
Racer

Hmmmm, not a single discouraging word, and the sky was not cloudy all day! I just wanted to make sure, this is what I thought all along! Thanks for all the comments!

Old 07-25-2009, 01:10 AM
C5X2C
Racer

I did receive a message stating an issue -

"Bluing of the shock shaft from side loads -- but I suspect that was probably a bad install that over-tightened the bushing."

This was the issue that I had heard of. Has anyone else had this issue?

Get notified of new replies

To Pfadt Coilover Experience?

Old 07-25-2009, 09:49 AM
mdk
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts

Pfadt coilover experience=awsome. I just had them installed and they are a huge improvement over the stock setup, they are not so easy to adjust on a c-6.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:22 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 320 Likes on 152 Posts
CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'19,'22
St. Jude/CI Name Tag Designer

Originally Posted by C5X2C
Hmmmm, not a single discouraging word, and the sky was not cloudy all day! I just wanted to make sure, this is what I thought all along! Thanks for all the comments!

I only run their inverted sport shocks for autocross, but I can vouch for the others, their customer service is off the charts. I found out on a late Friday afternoon that one of my end links on my Pfadt sway bar was broken. Pfadt overnighted (sat delivery) under warranty to me and it helped me get another win that weekend.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:56 PM
Z06phile
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I put some on a couple of years ago and love 'em! I like a firm ride, so 13 clicks F/R for me. Still using stock ARBs. Tried the '04 Z06 shocks first, but these feel way better.

Quick Reply: Pfadt Coilover Experience?