Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hpde with a6 help

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 10:08 PM
bearnest
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hpde with a6 help

I have run 5 days at HPDE with my 06 a6. My 4 and 5 day trans fluid got to 270 and it went into limp mode.(sorry not sure about spelling)
Any body else had this problem or no how to fix.I was running in comp mode AH and TC turned off. Limp mode is when the car's ecm or tcm takes over and shifts itself I believe. thanks ben
Old 07-16-2009, 10:14 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Ben,

I think I had you as a student at the NCM VIR event.
In thinking about it over the last few weeks maybe a small transmission cooler (like folks add to a tow vehicle) mounted somewhere that can get fresh air. Maybe add a fan that you can switch on and off.

Woodsie - are you out there? IIRC you had something similar for your Z06 once upon a time. I think yours had pumps to help move the fluid, Ben won't need them. Can you help him out with parts numbers and who did the install.

Thats all I got
James
Old 07-16-2009, 11:03 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

you can start by wrapping the exhaust where it goes past the transmission with heat blocking wrap. if that is not enough, you will have to get a cooler and run the lines up front, you will have to mount the cooler in front of the car, I don't think there is anywhere to get the good airflow in the back. good news is that unlike manual cars, you will not have to mount/wire the pump.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:25 AM
bearnest
Pro

Hey james,yes I was one of you students.Hope everything is going well.Have been reading up on adding trans. cooler,still looking for someone who has done this to see if helped.will also wrap exhaust next to trans,thanks longdaddy.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:23 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

PM WOODS or send him an email. I remember a couple years ago he added a diff and trans cooler to his Z06. IIRC they were in the rear of the car with fans and pumps. You won't need the pumps.

IIRC your trans cooler (stock) is in the radiator. I think you can just plumb one in line and mount it in front of the radiator. Lots of places do this for tow vehicles, it shouldn't be that hard to add one to your vette.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:43 AM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

And keep in mind that in those conditions, factory fill fluid (if that is still what you have) is not going to hold up very well. Note how fast my factory fill Dexron III sheared down low out of grade in my CTS-V (6 sp manual - but you should get the point):
2006 Cadillac CTS-V Used Oil Analysis Dexron III vs AMSOIL ATF Transmission Fluid

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 07-17-2009, 01:54 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Call Phoenix Performance or some other reputable speed shop and put a good cooler on there and you won't have to worry about it again.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:51 AM
bearnest
Pro

Default ttt

ttt
Old 07-18-2009, 11:26 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Ok, hear is what I did, first Z06 engine cooler & hard lines. next Iordered a B&M flat plate coole 1.5 inches thick. I put in the oil cooler then found that the B&M would not fit past it. so being short on time till NCM Vir (yep I was there too) I went to advance auto and bought a thinner tube & fin type I then had to mount it between the condenser and the radiator. I bought the smallest one they had in hopes of mounting the B&M later. I think it will fit if I disassemble everything and then put it in first. Now for my results.
This is a new car 5,700 miles so it's tight.
Pace laps ar watkins glenn (not over 90) oil temps 280 trans 230. stock
after adding the coolers
VIR first day oil 280 trans 230 (blue group)
second day oil 270 trans 219
as it breaks in The temps will go down.
By next track session I'll have the B&M in and have better cooling. But presently it's working fine with no alarms at all.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:48 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

When I had my C5 A4 I had the tranny go do to excess heat and got a built RPM Level 4.

I put the largest cooler I could find in front of the car (in front of the condensor). I ran the tranny lines directly through it. Bypass the radiator if you want your temps down !!!!

DH

Get notified of new replies

To Hpde with a6 help

Quick Reply: Hpde with a6 help