Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much clean up before a show (race car)

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 08:47 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default How much clean up before a show (race car)

How much time do you guys spend cleaning up a older race car before a show??? I have been told to take my car to Car Craft summer bash at the fair grounds. I'm not a show type of a guy but don't feel like making a joke out of it either.... 1 hour, 3 hours, all day???? I wash it before everyday at the track, wipe the dash, clean the green out of the splitter and stuff like that.

Randy
Old 07-16-2009, 09:45 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Patina is a GOOD thing when it comes to race cars (Action does quite nicely selling "as raced" models). Interior should be clean, tinwork does NOT have to cook a chicken in mid-day sun. If your going to remove bodywork there should be no grease/oil streaks on the cage/frame (how were you going to find the next leak anyway?) How long it takes depends on how far its gotten out of hand. /:\
Old 07-16-2009, 09:49 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

two years ago my Viper was part of the NeOhio Region SCCA display at the Cleveland Auto Show.

A good wash and was on the exterior, cleaned the wheels but did not "shine" the tires. The interior was wiped off and vacuumed out.

That's about it.

It's a race car, that's what I tell people.

I remember when I was selling my C5 T1 car, and a Corvette guy came to look at in to maybe go from "shows" to racing. The look on his face was priceless when he saw what I "did" to a fine car like my Corvette. I told him, "We beat the crap out of these cars more in one weekend than most people to in a lifetime."
Old 07-16-2009, 09:57 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Randy,
Don't tell me we are gonna have to call you WAXERBOY now? :

Like Dave said, Wash her down & wipe the dash and presto your done! It's a racecar and is meant to be RAFTED!

Q
Old 07-16-2009, 10:06 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

can of Quickshine99 and be done with it
Old 07-16-2009, 10:53 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Nice!!! That is what I was thinking! Thanks guys. I spend time cleaning anyways so she is looking pretty good with just a simple wash. Maybe try out a couple squirts of Quickshine99.

Randy
Old 07-16-2009, 11:03 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once you start with a couple of squirts of that quickshine that'll be the end of Randy the Racer.

Next we'll be getting questions like. Do you guys use Zaino #2 or #5 after a rough weekend at the track? Should I clay bar once a year or every 5 events?

He, he... that was too easy... waxer....

Graham
Old 07-16-2009, 11:47 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vms4evr
Once you start with a couple of squirts of that quickshine that'll be the end of Randy the Racer.

Next we'll be getting questions like. Do you guys use Zaino #2 or #5 after a rough weekend at the track? Should I clay bar once a year or every 5 events?

Graham

Yep! Next thing ya know Randy will have group purchaces on Mother's wax products EAHH!.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:38 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Small print was (the amount of times you give me crap (in this thread) is the amount of times I will pass you)

Randy
Old 07-17-2009, 12:57 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're supposed to clean cars? It took me about two hours just to wash the car on Saturday. First time in a long, long while. Covered in pollen. Le Mans Blue Metallic is a great colour, but it was dirty about 3 minutes after I finished washing it. Might as well be black.

Seen the California Dusters? Saw a guy at an autox using one each morning. http://www.californiacardusters.com/...carduster.html

My first crew job on the F1600 car way back when was waxing it before the race. Part of the clean & wax was putting a wrench on every bolt you could see to make sure they were still tight. Busy work for a newbie, yes. But it all pays off...
Old 07-17-2009, 01:22 AM
AtomicZ
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine still has four days worth of grime and rubber from VIR on it. I don't plan to ever wash it. LOL

I local ZR1 owner told me I needed a little paint on the front end due to the track rash it has (all in good fun of course).

It's just going to get dirty again anyhow.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:40 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

I spent too much time with Roger Penske. I spend almost half a day waxing my car before an HPDE. Is that sick? Then it takes almost another day to clean the car after an event.

Back it '68 when the Camaros were on an open trailer the Penske team would have to find the nearest car wash and detail the cars before they could head back to the Philly shop.

I really want on of those steam cleaning bays the NASCAR guys have. When the car comes off the hauler in Charlotte it's steam cleaned befor it's allowed into the building.

I guess I'm not the only sick one.

Richard Newton
Race Cars 360
Old 07-17-2009, 06:44 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckeyeZ06
"We beat the crap out of these cars more in one weekend than most people to in a lifetime."

Now that is PRICELESS.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:31 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

I clean it inside and out with 1 can of brake clean......when the can is empty, it's clean enough!
Old 07-17-2009, 08:11 AM
Ms Eliz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Randy!

I've seen your car!

I wouldn't worry to much about cleaning before the show...it's during the show you'll be mopping the drool off of it!

Are you doing the Sunday Auto-X? You may be a ringer in that one

See you over at the fair grounds!

Ms Eliz
Old 07-17-2009, 08:56 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

I still have pylon stripes on my rocker panel from Nationals.....

TWO YEARS AGO !!!!
Old 07-17-2009, 09:15 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
How much time do you guys spend cleaning up a older race car before a show??? I have been told to take my car to Car Craft summer bash at the fair grounds. I'm not a show type of a guy but don't feel like making a joke out of it either.... 1 hour, 3 hours, all day???? I wash it before everyday at the track, wipe the dash, clean the green out of the splitter and stuff like that.

Randy
That should be all you need to do!
May want to dust a little more than the dash but that should be it.
Patina on a race car is to be expected. Otherwise its just a garage queen.

Get notified of new replies

To How much clean up before a show (race car)

Old 07-17-2009, 09:24 AM
bowtiguy
Melting Slicks

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

I saw some of those all-in-one wash wax sponges for sale late at night.

"normally" I wouldnt use one on my lawn mower when I actually "do" clean it..but..

This might be the PERFECT application!

Personally. Here is how I equate the time I spend cleaning the car.

How long will it take until the wife asks.."are you almost done??" thank god I don't hear that lone all the time.

$5.25 at the local self spray car wash and you are set, its a race car!
Old 07-17-2009, 10:47 AM
jordan@pfadtracing
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
Autocross & Roadrace Forum Sponsor

Originally Posted by vms4evr

Graham
Old 07-17-2009, 03:04 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

It really depends on what kind of a show it is and what you hope to accomplish at the show. If it is a judged show with clear criteria for experienced judges to use in evaluating the cars and you want to do well then you would spend a lot of time cleaning and detailing the car. There aren't many of those kind of shows around anymore since a lot of participants couldn't stand seeing their cars get a poor evaluation. Most shows now are basically a shine and show type of thing with spectator or particpant judging. These shows do not deserve much preparation time as it is a crap shoot on finishing position no matter how much effort is put into getting the car ready. Usually the most chrome wins whether the car is clean or not.

Bill

Quick Reply: How much clean up before a show (race car)