Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Z06 engine rebuild time

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 09:29 AM
TeamDI Steve
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 Z06 engine rebuild time

I'm looking to put together a track beater from a c6 Z06. Basically it'll just be stripped out, some aero, suspension/chassis work, and slicks.

How are the engines doing under track/race conditions? Are the motors getting 100 hours out of them?

The alternative to this would be a P-car Gt3, which has about an 80-100 hour rebuild time, maybe a little more if the shifts are kept a little short.

Had there been any other issues with the c6 z06 motors being run stock for heavy track use (not racing conditions, thats for the other purpose built race cars we run).

Thanks!
Old 07-16-2009, 09:41 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Steve welcome to the forum. I see you are pretty new around here. The LS7's have reported some issues about the oil system and wiping out bearings. The numbers are adding up over time, but still they are a great engine with great power. We have had LS engine in genral last 20-30 thousand track miles with a valve spring change at some point. They are a tough, lightweight, big power producing engine for a fair price.

Good luck to you and building your car. Let me know if there is any parts, or help along the way.

This is something you maybe interested in.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...ar-dialup.html
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...ted-often.html

Randy
www.dougrippie.com
Old 07-16-2009, 09:51 AM
TeamDI Steve
3rd Gear

Hi Randy,

Lurking for a while, as I mostly do BMW and Porsche stuff, and have run Ferrari challenge cars for a while. I actually was (am?) a suspension design engineer, mechanical design engineer. I'm finishing up my 2002 m3 racecar right now, but my pops needs another car to just go and flog around the track, thats easy to maintain, fun, fast and reliable.

So it sounds like the motor is realistically good for 180-200 or so hours under aggressive track driving. Under racing conditions thats probably cut in half...which brings it down right around where the porsches are.

Thanks for your help, its greatly appreciated it.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:23 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

I would say 200hrs is realistic, however random failures are always possible. When I raced against Porsches in World Challenge, those guys had to rebuild every 40hrs....and a rebuild cost more than a NEW Corvette engine.

We have 20,000miles on our stock LS7, both myself driving (aggressively) and my students driving. Oil pressure at Hot Idle are low, but builds immediately with rpm/temp reduction. Plus the car has an extended warranty, so engine isn't really a concern for a few more years.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:33 PM
TeamDI Steve
3rd Gear

Hi David,

Long time since we chatted, hope all is well.

Sounds good...not sure if the car would have a warranty though.

I'm looking into a bmw 135 now.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:40 PM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I would say 200hrs is realistic, however random failures are always possible. When I raced against Porsches in World Challenge, those guys had to rebuild every 40hrs....and a rebuild cost more than a NEW Corvette engine.

We have 20,000miles on our stock LS7, both myself driving (aggressively) and my students driving. Oil pressure at Hot Idle are low, but builds immediately with rpm/temp reduction. Plus the car has an extended warranty, so engine isn't really a concern for a few more years.
My experience is the same as Dave's, now pushing ~ 30, 000 miles on the engine.

Brakes need a little help!!!

2 piece Coleman rotors (front) and track pads (Carbotech & others) go a long way in solving brake issues.

That said... it looks like oiling is an issue... so you might want to upgrade the dry-slump when assembling your ride.

Randy @ DRM and Jason @ Katech are both knowledgable on this issue.

Welcome to the club.

Cya @ the track,

Trumper
Old 07-16-2009, 01:33 PM
m3bs
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TeamDI Steve

I'm looking into a bmw 135 now.
The 135 is a fun street toy, but has some issues as a track car. If you'd like to discuss further, contact me offline via pm or email.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:38 PM
mater
Cruising

Originally Posted by TeamDI Steve
I'm looking to put together a track beater from a c6 Z06. Basically it'll just be stripped out, some aero, suspension/chassis work, and slicks.

How are the engines doing under track/race conditions? Are the motors getting 100 hours out of them?

The alternative to this would be a P-car Gt3, which has about an 80-100 hour rebuild time, maybe a little more if the shifts are kept a little short.

Had there been any other issues with the c6 z06 motors being run stock for heavy track use (not racing conditions, thats for the other purpose built race cars we run).

Thanks!
PM me I might have a p car gt3 cup that might interest you.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:40 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by mater
PM me I might have a p car gt3 cup that might interest you.
The anti vette
Old 07-16-2009, 01:44 PM
mater
Cruising

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
The anti vette
Depends on the vette,and driver
Old 07-16-2009, 04:07 PM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

Hhmmm... the C6 Z06 is highly respected over @ Rennlist...

especially in their 997 GT3 section.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:17 PM
mater
Cruising

Originally Posted by trumper Z06
Hhmmm... the C6 Z06 is highly respected over @ Rennlist...

especially in their 997 GT3 section.

Rennlist " who dat" The only car I don't like is one that won't start!! I drive my c6 z06 everday.Just race bmw and p car.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:09 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by mater
Rennlist " who dat" The only car I don't like is one that won't start!! I drive my c6 z06 everday.Just race bmw and p car.
Ok you pass the test

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Z06 engine rebuild time

Quick Reply: C6 Z06 engine rebuild time