Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AFX Motorsports Poor Service

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 06:28 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AFX Motorsports Poor Service

I purchased a set of Cobalt Pads from AFX via phone. Today they arrived and are the wrong compound. A call to AFX was placed and I discussed the matter with Bob. He argued that I had asked for what I received, but I can assure everyone that such was not the case.

Now I'm forced to use the wrong pads because I have an event on Monday and no way to get new pads before then.

Bottom line is AFX is not willing to do anything to atone for their error. Instead I just get arguments from them.

Let this be a warning to others. If youa re going to order from this outfit, make sure you have EVERYTHING in writing or be aready to suffer the consequences.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 07-15-2009, 07:02 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That really sucks sorry to hear your trouble. With an event so close you have no time to do much of anything. One day I'll see you on track again

Hope the event doesn't go to bad but the wrong pads are a bummper if they are under performing. With the way you push be careful.

Might be better next day air the pads you want from another source in writing of course.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:25 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

In AFXs defense, I ordered a set of rotors and a set of Cobalt pads from Bob sometime ago. And shortly after that I sold the car. Bob took the rotors back no questions asked but explained that most Cobalt pads are special order and that he had no way of selling them because mine were for Brembo 14". So I can't blame him for not taking my pads back. I'm not saying who made the mistake or who is right or wrong. Only that I've found Bob and AFX to be vary helpful in resolving my problem. Just my own experience with AFX. JD
Old 07-15-2009, 07:46 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

sad part is in my construction business when changes are made or things are ordered I always say write it. Then I know who needs to eat the mistake with no fighting.

I go to the deli and ask for tea the guy gives me coffee. When I go back he said you said coffee. Then I tell hi I doubt it was my error as I never had a cup in my life.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:12 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
sad part is in my construction business when changes are made or things are ordered I always say write it. Then I know who needs to eat the mistake with no fighting.

I go to the deli and ask for tea the guy gives me coffee. When I go back he said you said coffee. Then I tell hi I doubt it was my error as I never had a cup in my life.
Exactly, John. AFX sent me 1,400 degree pads (FX2). I have NEVER used anything less than 1,600 degree pads (FX1 or XP12 or DTC-70 or PFC-01). So, there is no way I would have asked for FX2s.

In business you have to be prepared to make mistakes (because you will) AND CORRECT THEM. If they had offered a simple discount on my next set of FX1 pads, I would have been satisfied. I did not appreciate being called a liar and them batting down the hatches for a fight when one was not needed or even desirable.

Now they lost a customer, and I will be @#$%^& if I recommend AFX to anyone.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 07-15-2009, 11:30 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

surprising to hear so you wanted to get xr1 pads but got xr2 pads instead, there is a difference between the 2 for sure sorry to hear about the bad experience.

i have had good luck with bob wish your experience had been the same. you will love the cobalt pads though!
Old 07-16-2009, 12:39 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Bummer, Frank. I hate to hear that. Are you going to Putnam end of August with 10/10ths?
Old 07-16-2009, 08:27 AM
bowtiguy
Melting Slicks

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj
Exactly, John. AFX sent me 1,400 degree pads (FX2). I have NEVER used anything less than 1,600 degree pads (FX1 or XP12 or DTC-70 or PFC-01). So, there is no way I would have asked for FX2s.

Frank Gonzalez
This is all VERY surprizing to me. I've had nothing but GREAT customer service from Bob @ AFX ( and his brother Don). Always pick up the phone and always get brake parts when they say they will be here.

The XR-2 , I believe, is a stockable pad in 1 piece form. The XR-1 is a cusom order, from what I have been told. I'm still on my first complete set of XR-2 pads ( run GTS on the street) with a set of front XR-2's for back-up.

I don't know the particulars here ( nor the part#'s), so the only thing I can say is..maybe one ( or both) were ha ving a bad day. maybe a second phone call is in order?

The AFX package is a proven one. the only upgrade I'll be making to it in the future is going with the AP 6 piston front caliper.

good luck, hope everything works out.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:35 PM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to set the record straight. Actually Frank, you didn't call up and order anything, you had someone else call up and they told me you were running Hawk DTC 70 front and 60 rear and wanted something comperable. They did not ask for any perticular compound. Cobalt recomended that we try XR2 compound so that is what I got for you.

I have run XR2 compound on my racecar for the entire season last year, never once did I have a braking issue. I also happen to know that LG ran XR2 on his World Challenge racecar the last year he ran World Challenge. Doug Peterson ran the other LG car in World Challenge on XR3 compound. I can't imagine that you will have any trouble running XR2 compound on your car.

For our part, I offered to take the pads back for full refund, you said you didn't want to because you had an event this weekend. I don't have Brembo pads in XR1 in stock, neither does Cobalt. I am not sure what else you would like me to do.

Robert Finlayson

Get notified of new replies

To AFX Motorsports Poor Service

Quick Reply: AFX Motorsports Poor Service