Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

?'s about first open trackday

Old 07-14-2009, 01:20 PM
wneils
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ?'s about first open trackday

Trackmasters Watkins

First ime with the CCW's and the Toyo R1's. Any sugestions on air pressure?

Also the Toyos have no TPMs so I take it I have to bring the OEMs.

I will need to get used to driving in the rearview mirror.

Thanks
Old 07-14-2009, 10:26 PM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I will leave the tire pressure suggestions to those with Toyo experience. If this is your first track day and you have reasonable rubber on the OEM wheels, bring them. You do not need sticky rubber yet.

Welcome to trackmasters, hopefully you will be hooked. Which event are you doing?
Old 07-15-2009, 12:27 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by kmagvette
I will leave the tire pressure suggestions to those with Toyo experience. If this is your first track day and you have reasonable rubber on the OEM wheels, bring them. You do not need sticky rubber yet.

Welcome to trackmasters, hopefully you will be hooked. Which event are you doing?
I think it's best to startout on street rubber before moving on to 'track' tires.

In a C6 many guys run an extra lb or two in the front tires to help compensate for the car's 51/49 weight distribution ratio.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:21 AM
fhturner
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
I think it's best to startout on street rubber before moving on to 'track' tires.
Not a bad suggestion, but IMHO, it isn't absolutely critical to do events on street tires before using stickier stuff (altho I hear it heartily recommended all the time). I did ONE event on worn out street tires, was completely and totally hooked, got myself some track wheels and Hoosier scuffs, and did every event after that on slicks. The main reason is that I could get a set of scuffs for around $350-400, and save wear and tear on my $1200 set of Goodyear GS-D3s...

I should point out, tho, that I'd been autocrossing on street tires for a year before my first DE rolled around, so at least I knew what those tire limits felt like...

Hard to tell for sure from your post, but if this IS your very first track day, have a ball, and be safe!

Fred
Old 07-17-2009, 02:22 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If they're Toyo R1Rs they are street rubber, guys. And don't drive in your mirrors. If it's your first track day it probably won't be open passing, it'll be passing zones and you won't have issues in the corners. Check your mirrors when you get to the passing zones -- which will likely be the straights -- even though you have monster horsepower be nice to that Miata driver with more experience that caught you up in the tight stuff. :-)
Old 07-17-2009, 07:41 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Always look ahead. Don't just look off the front of the hood. Your car will go where you're looking. Keep you eyes up and look far ahead.

When you screw up a corner (and we all do) forget it. Concentrate on the next corner. Don't let one screwup create another one.

Richard Newton
Race Cars 360
Old 07-20-2009, 06:19 PM
wneils
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default I wasn't clear

I have about 20 track days and made open track at the end of last year at WGI. Ran the OEM's up until last week so I can report my experience.

I really did not notice a great deal of difference but after doing some research I think the air pressure on the RA1 need to be a lot higher than I had them. Apparently more in the 35 to 40 range.

After giving rides to about 10 kids there from a cancer victims camp, the dic freaked and put it into Active Handling only mode. I had the originals and laid them at the appropriate spots but after about 45 minutes they would not re register. So I went out on the next session. It was horrible. One lap and out

Thankfully someone had a TPMS tool and we got them to register. I have one on order but don't want to put in TPMS on the new wheels this year.

This was my first time with the big dogs and open passing at WGI. I did have to watch that rearview mirror carefully. Ferrari's and GT3's and just about everything else kicked my ***.

Maybe i will go back to intermediate and be hot again I had a good time and learned alot. Rode3 and was rode with. The only way to improve is to constantly be learning.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:31 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You can ask John from the local parts store why not to drive with the mirriors. He barrel rolled off turn 2 at BIR. He was watching cars in the mirrior and ended up running out of room and the car was hurt.

Randy
Old 07-20-2009, 07:17 PM
ajderzie
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've run many track days on Toyo RA1s for a few years on my C5. I would start at 30 psi. They will warm up quickly and the pressures will end up in the 35 range. If you start too high you will end up having to bleed a lot of air. The alignment I used gave very even wear. -1.5 camber front, -1.0 rear, 1/4 toe in total rear, 0 toe front.

Have fun!

Get notified of new replies

To ?'s about first open trackday

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ?'s about first open trackday