Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake ducts

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 07:31 AM
bearnest
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake ducts

Has anybody put z06 front brake ducts on there c6 car. They seem to be very inexpensive from gene. Just wondering if they made any differance and how much trouble it was to do. Can't seem to find any
other post on this or a do it yourself install. thanks
Old 07-14-2009, 07:50 AM
FredSM
Drifting

Originally Posted by bearnest
Has anybody put z06 front brake ducts on there c6 car. They seem to be very inexpensive from gene. Just wondering if they made any differance and how much trouble it was to do. Can't seem to find any
LG, Quantum Motorsports, DRM, probably others. They all have have spindle ducts and some flavor of plastic ducting and connecting hose. Yes, they do make a huge difference in the life of your rotors, fade, etc. I have the Quantum spindle ducts with Z06 plastic ducts. Installation was fairly easy. You have to remove the factory C6 ducts and make the hole in the fender liner much larger, but that too is fairly easy. One metal screw into the frame to mount the plastic. Depending on the model, the spindle duct may be trivial or a bit harder. Quantum's was easy. BTW, I run 275x18" fronts and they just touch the plastic fully compressed.

Good luck.

FM
Old 07-14-2009, 08:07 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Brake Cooling ducts are a MUST HAVE.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:17 PM
bearnest
Pro

Default ducts

ttt
Old 07-15-2009, 01:08 AM
DarkMastyr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got the Quantum ducts. Not too bad of an install. Take off caliper/rotor. Pull out the stock ducts, use a dremel with a cutoff wheel to cut some space for the new duct. Line up and drill a 1/8" hole into the frame that a machine screw with a washer can fit into to hold the z06 inlet in place. Use a T55 torx to undo the hub bolts. Move the abs connector and secure with zip ties. Cut off the original abs connector bracket. Install the new spindle ducts. Connect hose (cut to length) to the z06 inlet with zip ties and to the duct guide with a worm gear. Put caliper/rotor back on.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:31 AM
bearnest
Pro

darkmastyr where did you move abs connector to,did your ducts come with hose also??thanks this is great info
Old 07-15-2009, 09:42 AM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just a suggestion. If you are going to be heating up your brakes so much you need ducts, make sure you wrap your spindle ball joints and steering rod ends with header wrap or heat tubing too. Will help with longevity of these parts. Steel brake lines will also improve feel.......
Old 07-15-2009, 10:51 AM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

We have a full kit that will work on C6 and C6Z. We offer a number of different sizes on the spindle ducts to cover OE to the aftermarket on rotor sizes.

Unlike some other kits out there our ducts force the air through the center of the rotor making the vanes do the work and circulate the air around the rotor, wheel bearing, and pump through the caliper cooling the entire system.

ONLINE ORDERING:
LG BRAKE DUCTS
Old 07-15-2009, 10:28 PM
DarkMastyr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

darkmastyr where did you move abs connector to,did your ducts come with hose also??thanks this is great info
There is a bracket right behind the hub where you can attach the abs connector to. Hard to explain without pics, but it's pretty evident once you look behind there. And yes my ducts came with the race hose as part of a package.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:15 PM
oldmansan
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '09

DarkMastyr,
Thanks for the pics. I also have a Quantum Motorsports kit.

San
Old 01-07-2010, 11:38 PM
Iceman Cometh
Cruising

How easy is the installation of the LG system? Do I need to remove the hub to install? If so, the Quantum style is a bit more user-friendly, but doesn't have the plate/shield that most of the other systems have (including other Quantum systems). Also, what are your thoughts on shields for the ball joint and steering rod ends?
Old 01-08-2010, 02:17 AM
oldmansan
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Iceman Cometh
How easy is the installation of the LG system? Do I need to remove the hub to install? If so, the Quantum style is a bit more user-friendly, but doesn't have the plate/shield that most of the other systems have (including other Quantum systems). Also, what are your thoughts on shields for the ball joint and steering rod ends?
I think that the Quantum's are easier to install.
http://www.lgmotorsports.com/gallery...%20Install.pdf

The plate/shield for the Quantum is for Z06 or BBKs, not the stock calipers. Heat shield wrap will help to preserve components you're worried about.

San
Old 05-04-2010, 05:10 PM
avizer
Intermediate

Anyone knows of an installer for the brake ducts around Orlando? It might be simple for most people, I am just not technical enough :-(
Old 05-04-2010, 05:18 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by avizer
Anyone knows of an installer for the brake ducts around Orlando? It might be simple for most people, I am just not technical enough :-(
Any decent mechanic can do it. The LGM with the shield will push more air through and is better IMHO!

Get notified of new replies

To brake ducts

Quick Reply: brake ducts