Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mid-Ohio NASA UPDATES ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 06:14 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Mid-Ohio NASA UPDATES ??

We are waiting

Videos too
Old 07-13-2009, 09:18 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am surised none of the players have commented yet so here goes......

Bill Neal of 10/10ths Motorsports fame, Mike Edmonson and Dave Hussong all went through Comp School and received their licenses .....Congratulations...

PTA: Matt Carlyle dominated all weekend long, including spraying oil all over the front of my car while kicking everyones hiny in the class. Bill Neal ran his first two races this weekend and found out that racing in Comp School and racing with the big boys is two different things. He enjoyed it enough that he will be traveling to VIR with us to run in 2 weeks. ScaryFast continued to be plauged with LT1 Opti-spark issues and was only able to run on Friday......

ST2 : The Forbis and Ken battle. Ken qualified on the ST2 pole the first day and he and James battled it out running nose and tail the whole event . L98 Terror bobbled and James took the lead and never relinquished it. James set a new ST2 track record in the process (1:33.0xx) which was a real chore as there were 60+ cars on the track. Day two , both Ken and James ran times under the record, Ken with a 1:32.9 and James with a 1:32.0 . James got blocked in at the start and Ken was able to get around .....they ran nose to tail the whole event until James grenaded another differential ( exact same scenario as Nationals for James ). Not sure how fast they were going as the results are still not posted, but they looked to be "hauling the mail" as I was watching as a spectator until Bill Neals car stopped running .

ST1: 4 entrants, Finlayson,Lex,Mike Edmondson and myself. Mike Edmondson did and awesome job this weekend as a rookie. Bill Lex and I sat on the front row the first day ahead of the SU cars . I won Saturdays race , I think that Lex was 2nd, Edmondson with 3rd and Finlayson was 4th and retired early over heating after his radiator got blocked by trash. On Sunday I broke some valvetrain component in practice and was unable to compete. I believe Edmondson was on the pole for the race as a rookie and Lex and Finlayson were behind him in that order. Lex won the race , Edmonson finished 2nd after going off into China Beach and Finlayson retired early with overheating issues again.

TTA: I think that Greg Dansbury won both days in Ken Smiths 'ole blue car

TTS: Clay Shearer suffered with clutch hydraulic issues all weekend , but still managed to win both days I believe. Not sure were Brownlow and Chubb finished ( again no results yet )

TTU: More blue Corvette wins both days, First day in my car and I ran James' the 2nd day to win TTU. Todd Rumpke finished 2nd both days in his C6Z.

There will be more info soon........

Last edited by RAFTRACER; 07-13-2009 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:48 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Many thanks to all the great guys who took time away from their stuff and gave me some very good advice,
and yes, even to the guys that kicked my *** in the races

What a great experience and one of the most intense things I have ever done in my life.
I learned a great deal about racing but realize it is only the tip of the iceburg.

I am looking forward to VIR to get a couple more races in and at a great track to boot.

going from HPDE to Racing can only be put as somebody said when we landed on Mars,
"Thats some great fun in HPDE but some nasty nasty serious fun schiet in racing"
or something like that
Old 07-13-2009, 10:43 PM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

When I get a chance I'll give more details and post some videos and I'll tell you right now the video doesn't do it justice. I really need a camera pointed backwards.

Finlayson missed a shift on the first start I never lifted and put my car between him and Mike there must have only been inches between us all, but on Sunday(Mike was directly in front of me) when I told him as soon as that flag drops you better be on it because I will and I'm not lifting till clear Forbis he knew I wasn't joking & our entire side nailed the start. Nice job Randy and Mike. Me and James went side by side all the way into thunder valley before I was able clear him, intense clean nose to tail racing both days.

Danny summed it up well, nice job to all the new guys no issues at all except those TTC guys screwing with our race if Bill didn't make me pass him through the grass entering the front straight I probably wouldn't have ran out of talnet about 16 laps in and drive off the track at turn 11 giving Forbis the win and Forbis probably wouldn't have broke giving me the win on Sunday. Finlayson

Video to follow

Video #1 http://vimeo.com/5586319 Should be ready at about 1 AM, comments welcome

Last edited by L98Terror; 07-13-2009 at 11:45 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:18 AM
PorscheBoy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great weekend!
Danny did forget about the Max Pads Carlyle used to get out on track Sunday in an effort to beat the Matchbox Car again...

Hope to see everyone in August!
Old 07-14-2009, 07:36 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

great Video Ken

The "F'n get out of the way" comments were Great
Old 07-14-2009, 07:38 AM
stairman
Racer

All I can say is WOW. What a great weekend, it was a blast. Everyone was so helpfull with their coaching and suggestions. I have to put out a big thanks to Dale Clark for getting my car ready on Friday while I was in school, and keeping it going through the weekend. I also owe Danny and James thanks for their help in getting me to run. I have a little work to do to get the brakes better for the next event but I will be back in August. By the looks of the other cars I will be spending this winter doing aero work on the car.

Thanks again everyone.
Mike
Old 07-14-2009, 08:24 AM
mrc24x
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great vid Ken. I'm off to a funeral so this is all I have for now. Sunday race without the editing talent of L98Terror......Just click ahead to 5 minutes for the start...

http://vimeo.com/5585635
Old 07-14-2009, 08:53 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
great Video Ken

The "F'n get out of the way" comments were Great

Originally Posted by stairman
All I can say is WOW. What a great weekend, it was a blast. Everyone was so helpfull with their coaching and suggestions. I have to put out a big thanks to Dale Clark for getting my car ready on Friday while I was in school, and keeping it going through the weekend. I also owe Danny and James thanks for their help in getting me to run. I have a little work to do to get the brakes better for the next event but I will be back in August. By the looks of the other cars I will be spending this winter doing aero work on the car.

Thanks again everyone.
Mike
Nice job Mike, way to nail the start on Sunday

Can't wait to see more of you out there mixing it up.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:16 AM
Silent E
Drifting

Cruise-In X Veteran

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
TTA: I think that Greg Dansbury won both days in Ken Smiths 'ole blue car
That's correct
Thank you again for helping me with column lock!!! I thought that I was done for the day, and the drive home

The in car videos (and commentary ) are going to be much more fun to watch, but here's a tiny clip to illustrate how tense it was to be watching Ken and Forbis on Sunday. I only caught 2/3 of the race before Greg and I went back to the garage to prepare for gridding.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:50 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

As stated above, words on the internet can't describe how awesome the race between Ken and James was. Lap after lap they were so close that you could run a short string between the two cars and not break it. I was sorely disappointed that the Spamkiller car broke, I wanted to see a side by side photo finish, and I guarantee it would have come down to it.

And as the NASA, Spectator Racing, and RAFT crew all agree:

NEVER AGAIN!

You all know what I mean...

Matt's race on Saturday was also intense, with 1st and 2nd swapping places four times during the race. Luckily the C4 had legs down the straight and could give him a little breathing room. When the smoke started pouring out of the back of the car (everyone thought it was my car for a second) our hearts sank. Luckily the black flag stayed hidden for the two laps needed to finish the race. Sunday was more of the same, but unfortunately this time the black flag flew and it was game over.

It's funny, I get to watch a lot of my own races from the stands. Someday I'd like to watch from on the track.

Congrats to the D-Popp guru for setting some new track records that will most likely last a LOOONG time. A 1:26.xx?!? Are you freaking kidding me?

And Ken, you forgot to mention that it was Finlayson's fault that my optispark broke, and also that Carlyle's rear diff went Other than that, it was good to run with the TCC guys again, too bad they only brought a few guys this weekend. Missed seeing Randy, Parker, etc.

At least I made it through the instructor clinic on Friday before the car failed. You know what they say - those who can't do, teach. I'm looking into upgrading to the LS1 ignition. This Opticrap stuff is unacceptable.

Last edited by ScaryFast; 07-14-2009 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:02 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
And Ken, you forgot to mention that it was Finlayson's fault that my optispark broke, and also that Carlyle's rear diff went Other than that, it was good to run with the TCC guys again, too bad they only brought a few guys this weekend. Missed seeing Randy, Parker, etc.

forgot about that and don't forget it was his fault that Shaun dropped my car on his hand.

A big thanks goes out to Shawn and Shaun for helping out with mine and Carlyle's car
Old 07-14-2009, 11:49 AM
PorscheBoy
Instructor

Nasa Great Lakes - Mid Ohio......All Over Again
August 14 - 16

Register here:
https://secure.drivenasa.com/event/888
Old 07-14-2009, 12:13 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheBoy
August 14 - 16
John, congrats on your first Win!
Old 07-14-2009, 01:35 PM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by L98Terror
Video #1 http://vimeo.com/5586319 Should
1: That's a long damn time to run flat-out
2: I really need to work on off-line passing before moving up from TT.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:42 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheBoy
August 14 - 16

Register here:
https://secure.drivenasa.com/event/888
Damn John, when did you change cars? I remember that 911'ish you had.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:49 PM
PorscheBoy
Instructor

Jodie,
I'm two cars past that one, but think I'll hold on to this one for a while. Hope you make the trip in August! Maybe Rob can load some corvettes in that hauler.

Now where are the MyLaps results??????

Get notified of new replies

To Mid-Ohio NASA UPDATES ??

Old 07-14-2009, 04:57 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Now where are the MyLaps results??????
Thats what I am talkin' about........

What the hell takes them so long ???? NASA Mid-Atlantic will have them posted before we get to the hotel to clean up for dinner between the two day events.

It's not like Mid-Ohio does not have internet access......or maybe NASA GL is too cheap to have it at the event...............
Old 07-14-2009, 05:49 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

brake failure around 25 minute mark where you went off??
Old 07-14-2009, 06:16 PM
jan800vette
Instructor

Default #777 PTA - Solo Beach Party Turn #7

I was talking to Randy at DRM and he suggested I post an update to everyone on how I'm doing. For those not informed, I had a master cylinder failure going into turn #7 during a lapping session while in comp lisencing school. No early warnings, I was in the sixth lap and cooking, as I was all alone. The good news, incredably I have no injuries other than bruised lungs and ego. MRI and x rays showed nothing. I guess I rolled 5 or 6 times until I hit the fence. (I lost count after 3) Lost my vision for about 10 minutes. Try to find your way out of a sideways car blindfolded! But all is well. I decided I do not have a guardian angel. I have 2 ! and they're both pretty fast. Seriously, I have to give credit to a Great Loving God, and good safety gear! One racer stated "Jesus must sure love your A$$". I had to agree and wouldn't race without him. I start on the new car Saturday. It will have dual remote master cylinders this time!! Imagine that!
I will be at the races this season to help and hang out. See you all there! Greg J.

Quick Reply: Mid-Ohio NASA UPDATES ??