Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's going to the PDA Grand Slam in Pocono?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 03:58 PM
lbarnard
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Who's going to the PDA Grand Slam in Pocono?

I am looking forward to going! Leaving Thursday from NC.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:44 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm there all 3 days. Arriving Thursday evening.
Mag Red C5 # 23x
Greg
Old 07-14-2009, 01:55 PM
2MCHPWR
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

i'll be there on Friday only. silver c5 with CCW's. my username is my license plate. come say hi.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:57 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

CodeBlack is going but I think he is taping his entire car so you won't hear from him. Silver Z06 completely buried in blue tape, head to tail
Old 07-15-2009, 08:22 PM
lbarnard
Racer

Trailer is loaded and ready to go early in the AM. Yellow ZO6 number 54 looking forward to meeting you guys! Safe travel weather is looking really good! See ya!
Old 07-18-2009, 10:28 AM
2MCHPWR
Drifting

yesterday was great but i called it quits at 3:30 when the rain came. fine with me. i was exhausted.

She did had some issues with the abuse though. The diff was puking fluid from somewhere and after about 20 minutes of hard abuse (never when co-drive, my brother, ran her haha), smoke would come into the cabin and I'd end the session. I think the diff fluid is dripping on to the exhaust; will research further. Another issue was like a fog horn type of low frequency noise coming from the drivers side fuel tank area. It started happening at 1/4 tank of fuel and stopped after we filled up the tank. Weird. Probably something like a vaccuum was created or something like that. Another issue was after running hard on the south course, the "Security" light started blinking on the dash, and when I pitted and turned off the car, it wouldn't restart until about 10 minutes later.

The toyo r888's look amazing considering 2 drivers where using them. I ran em about 41 lbs front and 35 rear. Towards the end of the session when the rear temps increased to about 37, she'd be getting real loose. Or was that the diff fluid? Doh!

GT3 in expert group giving me the point by:

i don't remember seeing this z06 on the track but check out the penske shocks:

Old 07-18-2009, 04:19 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 2MCHPWR
yesterday was great but i called it quits at 3:30 when the rain came. fine with me. i was exhausted.

She did had some issues with the abuse though. The diff was puking fluid from somewhere and after about 20 minutes of hard abuse (never when co-drive, my brother, ran her haha), smoke would come into the cabin and I'd end the session. I think the diff fluid is dripping on to the exhaust; will research further. Another issue was like a fog horn type of low frequency noise coming from the drivers side fuel tank area. It started happening at 1/4 tank of fuel and stopped after we filled up the tank. Weird. Probably something like a vaccuum was created or something like that. Another issue was after running hard on the south course, the "Security" light started blinking on the dash, and when I pitted and turned off the car, it wouldn't restart until about 10 minutes later.

The toyo r888's look amazing considering 2 drivers where using them. I ran em about 41 lbs front and 35 rear. Towards the end of the session when the rear temps increased to about 37, she'd be getting real loose. Or was that the diff fluid? Doh!

GT3 in expert group giving me the point by:

smoke in the cabin was probably powersteering fluid going on the headers Diff has a vent on top so it was probably blowing out of their. You can cook your diff.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:04 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

all packed up and ready for tomorrow, weather is looking perfect!!
Old 07-19-2009, 09:55 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by 2MCHPWR

That Z-06's driver was my student. He had to leave just after lunch to take care of something with his son. It was a nice ride.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:06 AM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Great event on Sunday, wish I had the time to do both days. Met a few Z06 owners and we swapped tips.

According to my datalogger I was consistantly hitting 158 on the long straight. If I would have entered turn one at more then 100mph I'm sure I could have carried more speed but I just didn't feel comfortable above that... yet. I have some vid & pics I'll post up later.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:15 AM
crainholio
Pro

I was there in my silver '82 Camaro running in the Blue group, great bunch of drivers.

The guy in the Mustang w/ Hawaii plates may not have been awake during the "point by" part of the meeting, however.

The track was in good shape and the weather was excellent until mid-afternoon.

My alternator failed during session 4 East Course right after lunch. I just put the sucker in three weeks ago as preventative maintenance, darn Napa rebuild. There is now a brand-new Remy alt in its place and a lesson learned.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:10 AM
2MCHPWR
Drifting

oh you're the guy with the 3rd gen camaro with the LS1?!?!?
its all sinking in now
love that car!
I think my diff is leaking out of the drivers side axle seal (where the axle goes into the diff).
Old 07-20-2009, 10:37 AM
crainholio
Pro

That's me! No room for child seats in the C5, but I really liked the LS1 powertrain and T56 gearbox.

The Z28 is big fun on the track, got 28mpg on the road trip to Memphis last year, and makes a nice occasional commuter car when the weather is favorable.

Powertrain is an '01 Camaro SS dropout from Contemporary Corvette.

I'll be back in a Vette after the kids are grown a bit...

The diff seal leak you're fighting seems to be fairly common, the guys at TTP should be able to kill it without much drama.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:04 AM
2MCHPWR
Drifting

local dealer actually replaced that side diff seal 2 months ago so i'm dropping it back off there tomorrow night.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:12 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AlwaysInBoost
Great event on Sunday, wish I had the time to do both days. Met a few Z06 owners and we swapped tips.

According to my datalogger I was consistantly hitting 158 on the long straight. If I would have entered turn one at more then 100mph I'm sure I could have carried more speed but I just didn't feel comfortable above that... yet. I have some vid & pics I'll post up later.
Better to feel comfortable and drive home than with a than over do it and Takes a while to get confident on the Turn 1 banking.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:47 AM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

^ very true.
Next time I'm going to try to get a ride with one of the faster guys or have them ride with me.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:43 AM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

here are a couple vids from the last session on Sunday.

I really need to get an instructor to ride with me next time! After watching these its obvious I was early on EVERY turn in the infield. My line for the last turn before the straight was wrong, which screwed me up for the all important exit. I wasn't smooth with my inputs and then there is the whole taking turn 1 way to slow...

comments are welcome

Get notified of new replies

To Who's going to the PDA Grand Slam in Pocono?

Old 07-22-2009, 08:56 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Is that the "Single Infield" configuration? That is sweet. I've done the north course (essentially the same infield as seen in the video except you do turn 3 and its clockwise) and the "double infield" (clockwise) but the one in the video gives you much more time on the NASCAR track, especially turn 1. Looks like fun.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:41 AM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

yes, single infield long course is what we ran and there is alot of time on the oval. At the end of the day they let the insructors run the full tri-oval. I heard there were a couple of nasty z06s that lapped the field.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:59 PM
Dave Deerson
Advanced

I ran my "P" car there on FRi and Sat. That's Pontiac,not Po@#$&%, I had my IMSA Fiero out for some lapping and yes,there were a few very fast Z06s.One dark blue C6Z comes to mind as he must be making a ton of power.Then it was fun out there with the new ZR1!

Quick Reply: Who's going to the PDA Grand Slam in Pocono?