Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions for track wheels for an '09 Z06???

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 11:51 PM
Bahnzii
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Suggestions for track wheels for an '09 Z06???

I have been bitten hard by the track day bug and want to get some track wheels so I can mount some stickier tires

I know CCW is the perennial favorite and I like their looks but was looking to see if there were any other options
Old 07-09-2009, 12:14 AM
Cloaked323
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can go to "factory reproductions" wheels just don't get anything that has been chromed because chrome wheels are weak couple them with a sticky tire and you have a recipe for disaster.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:08 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,408 Likes on 611 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Factory Reproductions are typically "Made in China" cast wheels, NOT GOOD FOR THE TRACK.

CCW's certainly are good wheels for the track as are Fikse wheels.

Another nice option would be finding another set of OEM wheels.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:21 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Yes, CCW Corsairs are the way to go. They are super strong, and have tons to caliper clearance, and are made in USA. Make sure whatever you do you do get, the distance from the outer rotor face to he inside of the wheel spokes needs to be 3 inches (75mm) or more. Even if you do not want a big brake kit, your resale will be better if they can accomodate one.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:33 AM
Cloaked323
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Glennm27
Factory Reproductions are typically "Made in China" cast wheels, NOT GOOD FOR THE TRACK.

I know of several people that run Factory Reproductions for HPDE without issue, so if you're going to do a HPDE/s then your fine. I can't comment on using them for race applications I wouldn't because slicks are will put more stress on the rim.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:54 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,408 Likes on 611 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by Cloaked
I know of several people that run Factory Reproductions for HPDE without issue, so if you're going to do a HPDE/s then your fine. I can't comment on using them for race applications I wouldn't because slicks are will put more stress on the rim.
I guess I was just posting my personal feelings about driving with Made in China, cast aluminum wheels at 150+ mph.

HPDE, Race, Street, I'm not doing it.

Everyone can make their own decisions, I just posted my feelings.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:59 AM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

You can't beat CCW! They have a few different options and each is better than the last.

As for the China wheels... I'm with Glenn. They might be perfectly OK, but I would never have them on my car, ESPECIALLY at high speed.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:23 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can go to "factory reproductions" wheels just don't get anything that has been chromed because chrome wheels are weak couple them with a sticky tire and you have a recipe for disaster.
This is not bad advice...but backwards. Definately BUY a nice set of factory reproductions, BUT use them for the street (choose from dozens of styles) and use your strong OEM rims as track rims.

I have been doing this since 2006 with great sucess. I never liked the polished rim look anyway. I have a set of 2009 black repro spyders and are VERY happy with them on the street and happy with the OEM's on the track.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:24 AM
1BDRSK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Glennm27

Saw a C6 Z06 crash after just 4 laps at an HPDE with repro wheels last year. Driver and passenger were fine, car was a write off. It appears one of the rims broke while going down the back straight at 150 mph!

You spend all that money to buy a good car and then you're only willing to spend $700 for four new rims...why? The repro rims are good for shows or parade laps, after that, you're tempting fate.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:40 AM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Since you're buying new high-quality wheels anyway, go with 18" wheels front and rear. There are many more tire choices in 18" sizes.

You want different tire widths front vs. rear, and be sure to get the correct offsets/backspacing for front and rear. CCW (and a few other companies) can make wheels in custom sizes (diameter, width, & offset) for you.

Search the Forum for info on the best tire and wheel sizes for a C6 Z06.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:27 PM
fire_n_ice
Racer

I run the OEM wheels and stock Goodyears (or equivalents like Bridgestone REO50A) because I am worried about adding more grip to the C6 Z06 in case the oil starvation occurs (I have an '07).

Assuming the issue has been fixed for '09, I'd suggest 18" CCW on all 4 corners. If you are going to go with very sticky rubber, consider a brake upgrade, too.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:47 PM
Dreamin
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bahnzii
I have been bitten hard by the track day bug
Where in CA are you? And what's your next event?
Old 07-10-2009, 03:51 PM
Cloaked323
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 1BDRSK
Saw a C6 Z06 crash after just 4 laps at an HPDE with repro wheels last year. Driver and passenger were fine, car was a write off. It appears one of the rims broke while going down the back straight at 150 mph!

You spend all that money to buy a good car and then you're only willing to spend $700 for four new rims...why? The repro rims are good for shows or parade laps, after that, you're tempting fate.
Really was he running slicks or R compound tires if you know
I have heard of CCW/s breaking during race stress but I've never seen one.
I've bent two CCW/s and they were repaired without issue, you can't
do that with a repo wheel, but the OP wanted other options so I just
tossed in one.

Originally Posted by 95jersey
This is not bad advice...but backwards. Definately BUY a nice set of factory reproductions, BUT use them for the street (choose from dozens of styles) and use your strong OEM rims as track rims.

I have been doing this since 2006 with great sucess. I never liked the polished rim look anyway. I have a set of 2009 black repro spyders and are VERY happy with them on the street and happy with the OEM's on the track.
Unless the OEM wheel has been chromed or if it's chrome plated I'd not chance it, I've been in a friends chromed stock wheel with slicks and it came apart during our warm up lap of a HPDE not fun.

Originally Posted by fire_n_ice
I run the OEM wheels and stock Goodyears (or equivalents like Bridgestone REO50A) because I am worried about adding more grip to the C6 Z06 in case the oil starvation occurs (I have an '07).

Assuming the issue has been fixed for '09, I'd suggest 18" CCW on all 4 corners. If you are going to go with very sticky rubber, consider a brake upgrade, too.
I have CCW/s all around for track and OEM for street.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:30 PM
fire_n_ice
Racer

Unless the OEM wheel has been chromed or if it's chrome plated I'd not chance it, I've been in a friends chromed stock wheel with slicks and it came apart during our warm up lap of a HPDE not fun.
Just to clarify, were these wheels OEM with an aftermarket chrome job? Or do you mean the OEM chrome plated wheel came apart.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:35 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

ForgeLine's new EV1 one piece is my current favorite. Hard to beat the weight of these!

Old 07-11-2009, 12:27 AM
Bahnzii
Racer

Thanks everyone for the posts...

I knew CCW would be the fav and I tend to agree.

Anthony, those Forgelines look SWEET, minus the red pin stripe

Do they come in 18" all around??

What's a set going to set me back??
Old 07-11-2009, 12:32 AM
Bahnzii
Racer

Originally Posted by Dreamin
Where in CA are you? And what's your next event?
I'm up in Norcal, North of the Golden Gate.

I'm looking at possibly going to Thunderhill at the end of July and maybe a couple of other events with NorCalracing or Speed Ventures.

Would love to try Willow Springs, Reno Fernley, Spring Mtn (again) and Laguna Seca among others

Get notified of new replies

To Suggestions for track wheels for an '09 Z06???

Old 07-11-2009, 01:01 AM
Cloaked323
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by fire_n_ice
Just to clarify, were these wheels OEM with an aftermarket chrome job? Or do you mean the OEM chrome plated wheel came apart.
IIRC his were after market chrome but after that moment, I decided to stay away from chrome plated as well.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:28 AM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by Bahnzii
Thanks everyone for the posts...

I knew CCW would be the fav and I tend to agree.

Anthony, those Forgelines look SWEET, minus the red pin stripe

Do they come in 18" all around??

What's a set going to set me back??
Great thing about a custom wheel....we can do it in any color combo you want!

They do come in 18's, what you see there is a 18x10.5 front and 18x13 rear with 295 front tires and 335 rear's.

List pricing for a 18x10.5/18x13 set is $4600 but we can get you a better deal than that!

FYI that 18x13 rear is just a little over 20 lbs

These will also clear a 6 piston 15" brake kit with no issues, and also the 15.5" 6 piston ZR1 brake.

Old 07-11-2009, 03:12 PM
oldmansan
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Great thing about a custom wheel....we can do it in any color combo you want!

They do come in 18's, what you see there is a 18x10.5 front and 18x13 rear with 295 front tires and 335 rear's.

List pricing for a 18x10.5/18x13 set is $4600 but we can get you a better deal than that!

FYI that 18x13 rear is just a little over 20 lbs

These will also clear a 6 piston 15" brake kit with no issues, and also the 15.5" 6 piston ZR1 brake.

The Forgeline and CCWs were my finalists for wheels. I went with the CCW C10s in the exact same sizes, 18X10.5 front and 18X13 rear with Toyo R888 295 front and 335 rear. The CCWs are less than $3K and the customer service is fantastic. The Forgelines could be lighter, but my CCWs came with my Toyos mounted, so I couldn't say. The CCWs will also clear the above mentioned brakes. Call John at CCW. He's forgotten more than most will ever know. Either wheel would be a great choice.

For what it's worth, I run the CCWs on the street and would run them at the track too. I honestly would purchase a second set of wheels for the track to avoid mounting/remounting tires and balancing etc. The thought of tire-monkeys mucking up my nice wheels is not acceptable.

This was before my center caps arrived.

San

Quick Reply: Suggestions for track wheels for an '09 Z06???