Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes and suspension school

Old 07-08-2009, 09:16 PM
Aces wild
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes and suspension school

i have a 01 z06 with ms4 cam, full exhaust, vararam, pushing 435, 399 on nitto r2's

looking for an awesome handling street car. car will be driven primarily on the street.

looking for:
pads - carbotech or cobalt looking for a pad with long life and strong initial bite

rotors - slotted or No . main concern is price

sway bars and shocks - no idea

let the school begin
Old 07-08-2009, 09:42 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

For a great handling street car on a budget I would consider the following:

04Z shocks and T1 bars with metal endlinks, or pfadt street bars.

04Z brake pads on stock rotors. Get some stainless steel lines and bleed in some new fluid (high temp). Bleed the same new fluid into your clutch reservoir regularly.

For more money I would do the following:

Coilovers such as pfadt, LG, etc. with stock sway bars (softer), T1 bars (stiffer) or pfadt street bars (adjustable).

No need to really spend much on brakes for a street car IMO, I would just do what I wrote above. I would just stick with a good street pad so you don't get a bunch of brake dust all over your wheels. The steel lines will help keep your pedal nice and firm.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:39 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Pads will be a compromise - hard to have long lasting, non-dusting and strong bite. The Hawk + pads get good reviews.

Drilled and slotted rotors are mostly for looks but they will add to dust and pad usage. They also will crack quickly if used hard. That being said, I have them on my car, but switch to stock rotors for the track.

Bilstein makes a good shock that gets good reviews, and I think they are cheaper than the 04 or c6 shocks. They can also be revavled in the future if needed. Swaybars depends on how radical you want to go.

Definitely upgrade fluid in brake and clutch, especially brakes.

Now, do some track days or ax's and learn what your car can really do. Get all the seat time you can. You will be surprised by how much your car will exceed your driving. Be safe and have fun.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:34 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by redtopz
For a great handling street car on a budget I would consider the following:

04Z shocks and T1 bars with metal endlinks, or pfadt street bars.

04Z brake pads on stock rotors. Get some stainless steel lines and bleed in some new fluid (high temp). Bleed the same new fluid into your clutch reservoir regularly.

Ditto.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:20 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

99% of a great handling street car is alignment, shocks, and tires.

Get the car cornerweighted, lowered about an inch, get a set of shocks and then do a serious performance alignment.

I prefer the Koni sports, but there are others that are just fine too.

Do that and you will be able to extrude your passengers brains out of their ears....

No need to spend big dollars to get what you are looking for.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:29 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not a great deal to add, because the rest of the posters got it right. In your shoes, I would:
1) At least get a set of endlinks. The stock ones are not bad but the T1 are better.
2) Lower the car intelligently! An inch or so, maintaining rake, will work wonders.
3) 04 Z shocks are very good, and what I'd go with.
4) Good alignment. No telling what it was from the factory, so get it aligned somewhere between track and street settings.
5) Keep good tire pressure. Street tires corner a little better with slightly higher than stock pressure too, if you run hard cornering, and if they are not too old. Of course, if you're drag racing, that's a different story.

Get notified of new replies

To Brakes and suspension school

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brakes and suspension school