Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Central Florida locations to wring out a new suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 05:04 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 771 Likes on 553 Posts

Default Central Florida locations to wring out a new suspension?

Just got done putting a C4 suspension under my '69. I'm trying to find a venue in the Orlando area to wring out the suspension and brakes. I'm hearing no feedback at all regarding the Central Florida Road Course (and their website is lacking). Right now I'd be happy just getting to use an old runway or huge parking lot to find any shortcomings in my conversion.
Any suggestions are appreciated.

thanks,
Mike
Old 07-08-2009, 05:24 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Try Sebring. I use Chin Motorsports but a bunch of other groups use Sebring for track days.

Richard Newton
Old 07-08-2009, 07:33 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.

Originally Posted by rfn026
Try Sebring. I use Chin Motorsports but a bunch of other groups use Sebring for track days.

Richard Newton
That's on my long term plans. Right now I'm just trying to get the suspension dialed in closer, and seeing what "doesn't work" at slower, safer speeds prior to any high speed events.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:41 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 320 Likes on 152 Posts
CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'19,'22
St. Jude/CI Name Tag Designer

Originally Posted by 69427
That's on my long term plans. Right now I'm just trying to get the suspension dialed in closer, and seeing what "doesn't work" at slower, safer speeds prior to any high speed events.
Come down to Fort Myers, FL on August 14th (and 15th and 16th) if you're interested. We have, likely, the best airstrip facility in the state for autocross. Friday the 14th is a free-for-all day for those of us racing at the National Championship in Lincoln, NE. Saturday is a typical test-n-tune day and Sunday is a competition day.

That Friday would be your best shot BY FAR. Long day, and minimal cars, and not many rules. Just a huge concrete airstrip with some cones for you to dial in your car. Autocross is one of the best ways to dial in your suspension.

Link to the info: http://cfrsolo2.com/
Old 07-08-2009, 08:43 PM
GrantB
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Gainesville Road Race Club rents out the Gainesville Raceway's test track every month. The next event is Saturday the 18th from 9 am to 1 pm.
http://www.gvilleroadrace.com/index....d=32&Itemid=31

Cost is usually $80. You'll be able to get as many runs as you want; if you really tried you could probably go through an entire set of tires (I have). It is NOT an autocross. Speeds are higher than the Central Florida 'Road Course', but still very low by road racing standards. There is nothing to hit; I think you'd probably come away clean even if you had complete brake failure.

For some example laps, look here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdmBbyiq20s

Me and a few other drivers have PerformanceBoxes which we use to dial in suspension and driving, so we have a pretty large database of DAQ from different cars and setups to compare your (or anyone else's) car against. Mostly those are cars on street tires or less aggressive R-compounds, though.

Last edited by GrantB; 07-08-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Tech Contributor

Thanks, guys. These options look workable. Other than a couple little nagging carburetor issues, the car is about ready for track time.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check this place out. I hear they run all day for $25 on Fridays. Right in your back yard.

http://centralfloridaroadcourse.com/Home.php
Old 07-13-2009, 10:43 PM
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by GrantB
Gainesville Road Race Club rents out the Gainesville Raceway's test track every month. The next event is Saturday the 18th from 9 am to 1 pm.
http://www.gvilleroadrace.com/index....d=32&Itemid=31

Cost is usually $80. You'll be able to get as many runs as you want; if you really tried you could probably go through an entire set of tires (I have). It is NOT an autocross. Speeds are higher than the Central Florida 'Road Course', but still very low by road racing standards. There is nothing to hit; I think you'd probably come away clean even if you had complete brake failure.

For some example laps, look here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdmBbyiq20s

Me and a few other drivers have PerformanceBoxes which we use to dial in suspension and driving, so we have a pretty large database of DAQ from different cars and setups to compare your (or anyone else's) car against. Mostly those are cars on street tires or less aggressive R-compounds, though.
I signed up for the July 18 event. The video seems to indicate that this course has enough variety of corners and straights to be interesting, and also allow wringing out the car. So far all I've got on the suspension is about 20 miles, just driving around my subdivision, and a top speed of only 25 mph so far. I'm hoping my conservative ramp-up of speed won't be an inconvenience to the regulars there.
Thanks for the information!
Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Central Florida locations to wring out a new suspension?

Quick Reply: Central Florida locations to wring out a new suspension?