Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traqmate install question.....

Old 07-07-2009, 03:09 PM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Traqmate install question.....

I am installing a Traqmate/Traqcam full setup, hardwire version not the cigarette lighter setup. Anyone have any ideas as the the best/reliable place to---

1. Pull power from.

2. Pull the rpm signal from. I haven't installed anything like a shift light in years, I haven't a clue where a wire carrying the rpm signal is.

C5 install btw. Pics if possible!

Thanks in advance,
Joe
Old 07-07-2009, 03:24 PM
Lan.Jet
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeper02Z06
I am installing a Traqmate/Traqcam full setup, hardwire version not the cigarette lighter setup. Anyone have any ideas as the the best/reliable place to---

1. Pull power from.

2. Pull the rpm signal from. I haven't installed anything like a shift light in years, I haven't a clue where a wire carrying the rpm signal is.

C5 install btw. Pics if possible!

Thanks in advance,
Joe
I tapped into the power from the lighter. I then used the tach wire from the dash it is on the left side. It can be reached by pulling off the bottom cover. I can post a picture tonight and give better detail on the wire colors. It was one of the white wires but there are three. I used a test light to find it originally. It will pulse.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:43 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Joe, like Lan jet says, use the cigarette lighter wire that's in the console for 12V power.

I tried to use the wire for the tach signal he's talking about but after a month of futile trying I quit and had it tapped directly into the PCM in the passenger side fender well, just behind the front wheel. I got the guys at the shop I use to do it when I had the car in for something else.

Locate the unit as low and as close to the center of the car as you can get it. Mine is on the passenger side floor, right next to the torque tube tunnel.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:48 PM
David A
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pulled power from the "pigtail" in the passenger foot well. This worked well for me because I also ran the ChaseCam cable down the passenger A Pillar, under the passenger door sill and out the passenger B pillar seat belt cover. I ran all five wires, Traqmate Power, Tach, Video, ChaseCam power and Cool Shirt power together under the sill. I mount all the devices on the floor under the BK Harness bar. My ChaseCam PDR has the accelerometers in it so it needs to be centered and level just like the TraqMate. I have the Cool Shirt cooler center mounted at the very back to accommodate ice changes and to keep water as far away as possible from the expensive Traqmate and PDR. The other issue I faced was where and how to mount the GPS antenna. I have the magnetic one and I mount it to the child safety metal clip and secure it with a nylon tywrap. I have a 2003 Z06 and on my car the tach signal was also a white wire that comes from the PCM to the IPC, I simply found the bundle and probed all the white wires until I found the correct one. And as my luck always is, it was the last white wire I tried. I routed the tach signal from under the dash to the passenger foot well and then ran it with all the others.
That's how I did it. Use at your own risk. My new policy: I'm not responsible for anything I do, or don't do. YMMV

Dave

Last edited by David A; 07-07-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:11 PM
Lan.Jet
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a picture of the wires there are four White wires the large one is headlights. The three remaining white wire are skip shift dead, dash lights on and the third is the tach you will have to pinch a test light through the casing to test it will pulse.

Here is how I mounted the antenna.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:21 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

wiring varies from year to year (even within the C5 era), so be carefull

Get notified of new replies

To Traqmate install question.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Traqmate install question.....