Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual Hitch...any good, dangerous?

Old 07-06-2009, 03:03 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Dual Hitch...any good, dangerous?

I have an aluminum bike trailer that is suspended from the hitch and carries a 200lb dirt bike. Would love to bring it as a pit vehicle if I could just use a dual hitch mount, but not sure how safe it is towing a trailer with a 3000lb car with 2 hitches interconnected. Seems like a big point of failure, but maybe I am overeacting? Any thoughts?

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...r=view&i=87141

I have a hitch mount on my trailer if I could find an "L" type hitch mount that may be safer.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:14 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

It's probably strong enough to carry the weight of the bike, but what you are effecively doing is adding that 200 lbs to the trailer tongue weight and that is extra weight on the rear of the tow vehicle. Tongue weight should be 10-15% of the weight of the loaded trailer and that has to be added to the total cargo weight on the tow vehicle.

Depending on the length and width of the bike, you may have clearance problems in tight turns if you have something like a tongue-mounted box or the trailer tongue is short.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:31 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

it's says 400lb tongue weight, which is probably not enough to be stable with a car and trailer.

With 15% trailer weight you would have at least 600lbs of tongue weight, event 10% (the minimum) you wuold be pushing it.

Get notified of new replies

To Dual Hitch...any good, dangerous?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dual Hitch...any good, dangerous?