Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are HPDE's dying out?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 07:05 PM
minitech
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Are HPDE's dying out?

Just wondering if for the Corvette at least HPDE's are not so popular anymore.

Looked for help for 5 point restraints for the C5 and it is around 2002 that the last posts were made. Why would not the current posts be filled with info to help new people coming in??????

Wondering if the time for C5's is gone. I know other Corvettes are represented here also.

To get in to track days the Miata is the low cost way in from asking around with my C5 being the only Corvette around.

Any reason for this? anyone want to chime in?

I also noticed the tracks around here, Grattan, Gingerman, etc.. are NOT filled with car events.

Was it a fad and not really the thing to do now?
Old 07-04-2009, 07:25 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

HPDE's are still very popular and the C5 is still driven by many at such events. The slowdown you are seeing is from economic conditions incurred by all. It is not specific to Corvette. Most car clubs are now opening their doors to other brands in order make sure track rental revenue isn't shy.

The NCM HPDE at NJMP is a few weeks away. Come on out!

Mike
Old 07-04-2009, 07:30 PM
bb69
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

There are a couple of things going on. One is the economy, and the other thing I notice is there are more groups putting on events. Anyway, I have had a lot of C5's at my events this year.

If you are looking for events, there is a 2 day weekend at Gingerman July 18-19, and my group will be at Grattan for July 25-26. You can pretty much find a track event in the Michigan area every weekend.

Ken
Old 07-04-2009, 08:03 PM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just went to an event at Sears Point (Infineon) today and it was full for both days,
this weekend, even with the Holiday. Plenty of Vettes in the mix as well. However,
I heard that the NCM event at Thunderhill at the end of the month is lightly subscribed.
As for the C5, I did 5 years in my coupe and it did take a toll on the car, well over 100
events. I still drive it as a daily driver but it has issues. Most everyone I knew there
has moved on to a C6 and unloaded their C5s so they don't hold it long enough to get
to those issues. The economy is effecting everyone, but for those that can afford to
track a Vette, it is simply easier to do in a newer C6.
Randy
Old 07-04-2009, 08:28 PM
minitech
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bb69
There are a couple of things going on. One is the economy, and the other thing I notice is there are more groups putting on events. Anyway, I have had a lot of C5's at my events this year.

If you are looking for events, there is a 2 day weekend at Gingerman July 18-19, and my group will be at Grattan for July 25-26. You can pretty much find a track event in the Michigan area every weekend.

Ken
Is this a 3 ***** racing event? I'll be there the 18th, and Grattan the end of the month. Thanks!!! I was just at Gingerman Test and Tune and it showed me how much I have to learn!!
Old 07-04-2009, 08:34 PM
minitech
Safety Car

Originally Posted by StArrow68
I just went to an event at Sears Point (Infineon) today and it was full for both days,
this weekend, even with the Holiday. Plenty of Vettes in the mix as well. However,
I heard that the NCM event at Thunderhill at the end of the month is lightly subscribed.
As for the C5, I did 5 years in my coupe and it did take a toll on the car, well over 100
events. I still drive it as a daily driver but it has issues. Most everyone I knew there
has moved on to a C6 and unloaded their C5s so they don't hold it long enough to get
to those issues. The economy is effecting everyone, but for those that can afford to
track a Vette, it is simply easier to do in a newer C6.
Randy

Thanks, I thought that was an issue too, move to a C6.

Just seemed strange, look (search for setup and actual hardware) for an HPDE event with C5 and it is not fresh at all, as if people left the C5 for that purpose.

Looking at a dedicated Miata for HPDE.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:56 PM
WYCKD 1
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know up here in Ontario (Canada), I could be on the track every week if I wanted to with HPDE events but only run every 2-3 weeks due to the pocket book

As for C5's dying out..well, I'm the lonely C4 that runs with a group of C5's & C6's.

Finding parts for your C5 isn't an issue at all..tons of sites and parts available, even online here for sale. Seats - Sparco, Corbeau, etc., Harness Bars - Sharkbar, Hardbar, 5-point harness - G-Force, etc..if I can find for C4, you can certainly find for a C5. It just takes time and research to find what is best for your needs.

As one of the earlier posts, it's true that there are more than just "one" model on the track. The events that I attend have a wide variety all the time. You can find yourself on the track with Porsche, Ferrari, Mitsubishi, NASCAR's, BMW, Vipers, GT-R, etc..heck at the event I attended yesterday there was a Bentley and a turbo charged 4 door Sunfire.

I know there are more current "mod" threads, just do a more refined search maybe to see some of the builds.

lauri

Last edited by WYCKD 1; 07-04-2009 at 10:51 PM.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:57 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

I track a C5Z and have no problems finding anything I need for it (seats, harnesses, harness bar, brakes, headers, cai, radiator, sway bars, coilovers, wheels etc.). I don't think there's any difference between harnesses for a C5 or C6. I bought some sparco race seats for my C5Z from a guy who had them in his C6. Still about 50/50 C5 and C6 at the events I go to and I think the LS1/LS6 engines are great. I have a LS2 in my 05 GTO and prefer the LS6. The LS3 is a nice upgrade. I guess a miata is a nice fun cheap car for the track, but there is no way I would trade my c5z for a miata . What sites are you looking at that you can't find any parts for a C5?

Old 07-04-2009, 09:40 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

In southern California track days and Corvettes are going strong:

http://animoto.com/play/y6k47SdlaJ24ODuTM0cd8Q

http://animoto.com/play/X1u41JySvzYX0K1tE7k09g
Old 07-04-2009, 10:08 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Looked for help for 5 point restraints for the C5 and it is around 2002 that the last posts were made. Why would not the current posts be filled with info to help new people coming in??????
you whine before you even give people here a chance to answer your question. classy.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:10 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

I'm the 2nd C4 on this list. I've run track events for ten years with this car and I love it. The beauty of track events is you don't have to be the fastest car on the track. You just have to have fun. That's why track events are totally different from racing.

Richard
Old 07-05-2009, 12:29 AM
wmckeenster
Racer

Originally Posted by WYCKD 1
I know up here in Ontario (Canada), I could be on the track every week if I wanted to with HPDE events but only run every 2-3 weeks due to the pocket book

As for C5's dying out..well, I'm the lonely C4 that runs with a group of C5's & C6's.

Finding parts for your C5 isn't an issue at all..tons of sites and parts available, even online here for sale. Seats - Sparco, Corbeau, etc., Harness Bars - Sharkbar, Hardbar, 5-point harness - G-Force, etc..if I can find for C4, you can certainly find for a C5. It just takes time and research to find what is best for your needs.

As one of the earlier posts, it's true that there are more than just "one" model on the track. The events that I attend have a wide variety all the time. You can find yourself on the track with Porsche, Ferrari, Mitsubishi, NASCAR's, BMW, Vipers, GT-R, etc..heck at the event I attended yesterday there was a Bentley and a turbo charged 4 door Sunfire.

I know there are more current "mod" threads, just do a more refined search maybe to see some of the builds.

lauri
Hey Lauri,

I'm originally from Burlington , Ontario....what organization do you run with in Canada?....I have friends that would like to run their Corvettes in HDPE's but they are not sure where?....can you let me know any info please..

Thanks,
Wayne
Old 07-05-2009, 12:44 AM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by minitech
Looked for help for 5 point restraints for the C5 and it is around 2002 that the last posts were made.
We have moved on to 6/7 pt restraints because the 5's are unsafe (assuming an un-mutilated stock seat). Install them properly and you will be welcomed into the plethora of vibrant HPDE clubs scattered across this wonderful country.
Old 07-05-2009, 03:12 AM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wmckeenster
Hey Lauri,

I'm originally from Burlington , Ontario....what organization do you run with in Canada?....I have friends that would like to run their Corvettes in HDPE's but they are not sure where?....can you let me know any info please..

Thanks,
Wayne
Hey Wayne, both Lauri and I are from Oakville and there's a whole group of us that go to track days.. Mainly with www.Apexdriving.ca and www.DexterAutosport.com because they run at Mosport and we prefer the bigger tracks.

There are also HPDE's and lapping days run by a host of clubs at TMP/Cayuga, Shannonville, Dunnville, Calabogie and Tremblant.

Have your friends send either of us a message and we'll set them up with the events we go to. They can always go to the Canadian section of this forum, we are usually pretty good at listing all the events we go to.

Steve

And to the OP...C5 parts are literally everywhere... even us Canadians can find everything and anything we need.

Last edited by GettReal; 07-05-2009 at 03:14 AM.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:22 AM
DarksideDE
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering if for the Corvette at least HPDE's are not so popular anymore.
I don't know where you are located, so I don't know what's going on in your part of the world. Over the last three years in my part (SE) you would think HPDEs were becoming unpopular. Our local race track maxes out about 120-130 (depending who is running the DE) several organizations were lucky to get 50 to 60 folks attending. They would have sworn it was just not popular.

They were not popular. They had put people into DE team positions that not only did not know how to welcome those that came, but did not know how to reach out and attract new ones. They were the kind of people who believed a core clique was a good thing - and you would be there to help for the track so they could have their fun.

I am happy to say this year - it has been turned around. The folks that brought the atmosphere down are gone -- and attendance is way up there. Three of the clubs had to end up with waiting lists - they were SOLD OUT.

You have to really take a look at what is going on around you.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:43 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

there are many many clubs putting on events.

Some clubs are not selling out as fast do to the economy and the shear number of clubs putting on events.

Weekend end events are sold out, week day events on popular tracks have a healthy car count.

Less popular tracks are a different story.

a few things that are showing up are ppl may not be traveling as far to events, and being choosy at the events they do.

I have a friend who has instructed at 28 events this year already. 24 where on VIR.

I talked with VIRs Manager last week, and he said they have ThanksGiving week, and Christmas week OPEN. Other then that they are booked. They well use those two weeks for maintance.

Then again when I talked to three other tracks, I can get Oct weekend dates.

Many events are no longer selling out, but they are still holding events.

So you do have choices.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:20 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lots of HPDEs out there still. Car counts are down at some events compared to years past - but many still sell out. The higher end clubs with good reputations have no problem with events.

C5s are still very common at track events and are still very competitive in most track venues. I have tracked 3 different C5s. The first, my 2002 ZO6, has been on track since Jan 2002 but I have retired it from track duty (with 48K miles) this year - like StArrow68 - it is tired but still in good shape - no repairs other then consumables. The white FRC has over 130,000 miles and almost all are on track. 3rd trans, 4th torque tube, second motor, 3rd clutch, more pads/rotors/tires then I want to think about, plus a few other repairs here and there. The black FRC came and went within about 6 months with no issues. But when you consider the use the cars have seen (and racing is far more demanding on the car then HPDE) they have done great. C5s are the best track deal out there.

I have had to miss three events this year due to work conflicts (2) and a family issue (1) but I have still been to Roebling, Road Atlanta, Barber, VIR, CMP, and Lowes this year (most tracks multiple times). I will be missing a NJMP event this month due to work also - so while "my economy" is still the same my availability has been impacted by the needs of the business and family.

Get notified of new replies

To Are HPDE's dying out?

Old 07-05-2009, 07:23 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
I talked with VIRs Manager last week, and he said they have ThanksGiving week, and Christmas week OPEN. Other then that they are booked. They well use those two weeks for maintance.
there was in info piece done on AMP and Road Atlanta, and said that Road Atlanta was/is booked 350 out of 365 days a year, 15 used for holidays/maint.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:31 AM
WYCKD 1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by GettReal
Hey Wayne, both Lauri and I are from Oakville and there's a whole group of us that go to track days.. Mainly with www.Apexdriving.ca and www.DexterAutosport.com because they run at Mosport and we prefer the bigger tracks.

There are also HPDE's and lapping days run by a host of clubs at TMP/Cayuga, Shannonville, Dunnville, Calabogie and Tremblant.

Have your friends send either of us a message and we'll set them up with the events we go to. They can always go to the Canadian section of this forum, we are usually pretty good at listing all the events we go to.

Steve

And to the OP...C5 parts are literally everywhere... even us Canadians can find everything and anything we need.
Hi Wayne,

What Steve said

lauri
Old 07-05-2009, 07:39 AM
bb69
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Is this a 3 ***** racing event? I'll be there the 18th, and Grattan the end of the month. Thanks!!! I was just at Gingerman Test and Tune and it showed me how much I have to learn!!
The 18-19 event at Gingerman is a Track Guys/SVTOA event, but it is open to all makes. The 3 ***** date is the following weekend. When you come out to Grattan, there a couple of C5's with harnesses that will be there if you still need information. If you need it before then, shoot me a message and I can get you in touch with one of the guys.

Ken

Quick Reply: Are HPDE's dying out?