Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anything similar to CG Lock?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 10:59 PM
shadeshift
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Anything similar to CG Lock?

Is there anything similar to the CG Lock I can get for my C5? CG locks will not work as they require a continuous loop seatbelt.

I'm not in the position to do a harness and harness bar and I've got a track day coming up soon. Does anyone have any tricks to get the seatbelts to fit more snugly, etc?

In case you're wondering here's a link:

http://www.cg-lock.com/track.html
Old 07-02-2009, 12:26 AM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

i looked at the video and to me it seems like it does what the vette belts already do.. If you snap your OEM 3pt belt in... then lift up on the lap belt part...when you release it..it locks and you can then pull down on it and cinch it tight... it WONT move...

Did I miss what the CG lock does?
Old 07-02-2009, 12:46 AM
flink
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried the CG-lock for a while (GTO, not vette). It was OK for what it is, but it only holds the lap portion of the three-point belt and not the shoulder portion.

What I do now is the "ghetto racing harness":

- slide seat back four inches (could also recline it 4")

- hold the tongue of the belt 4" from the latch and pull the belt sharply to lock up the intertia reel

- take a deep breath and push the tongue into the latch

- now move the seat back to the original position. The tension on the belt keeps the inertia reel locked up

Make sure that it's tight! Otherwise as you go over bumps the belt can loosen up enough to let the inertia reel unlatch.

I get a bruised collarbone and it makes the blubber on your belly flap about in a disgusting fashion but it pins you in there really well. There's sufficient force on your chest for the friction between your back and the seat to provide the lateral support.

I don't know if this is unsafe at all - I don't see why it would be.

(If I had my time again I'd fork over the $500 for a harness bar but I don't think I'll be tracking this car much more)
Old 07-02-2009, 01:32 AM
shadeshift
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks guys I appreciate the info. I wasn't sure how well the stock belt performed in an event situation. Sounds like it should do the trick, I just might want to invest in a pad for the shoulder section...

Get notified of new replies

To Anything similar to CG Lock?

Quick Reply: Anything similar to CG Lock?