Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6Z or C6 for dedicated track car-pros and cons...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 12:00 AM
stano
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6Z or C6 for dedicated track car-pros and cons...

My '07 Z has 73,000 miles on it and in today's market the value is pretty low. So, I'm thinking of making it a fun dedicated track car but have also been giving some thought of finding a salvaged C6 and making it a dedicated track car. I already have the Z of course and thought I'd put a roll cage in it, 18x11 and 18x12 or 13 racing wheels, racing seats both sides, upgrade the suspension and brakes and leave the motor stock except for headers. Upgrade the cooling of the tranny and motor. Finally, reduce as much weight as possible.

I understand the trailer and tow vehicle situation that comes with all of this.

What say ye

Last edited by stano; 07-01-2009 at 12:05 AM.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:32 AM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What are your long term goals. To race in say SU?

I think it would make a sick TTU/SU car with a cage and nobody can match the aluminum frame. Lightweight wins after rubber and downforce.

On the other hand if you want to go wheel to wheel all the time what's poplular in SoCal. If you wanted to do T1 runoffs, maybe a C6 would be better.

I personally wouldn't look back, by the time you start over it'll end up costing you more probably. Plus you're facing more depreciation and taxes etc etc etc. Keep going I say, go unlimited and beat everyone.

First thing I'd do is upgrade the dry sump.

Hope this helps,

Mike
Old 07-01-2009, 06:23 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

C5Z T1 car. Has the roll cage already inand race ready, relatively easy to maintain. and darn fast.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:12 AM
shifter77
Drifting

I was contemplating the same idea with my z. Ive been told that the aluminium frame would be a safety concern & most fabricators i met prefer welding a cage to the frame which is not possible with aluminium frame. What to do?
Old 07-01-2009, 08:10 AM
LS3FORME
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Most c6 race cars are c6 not z06 based due to the steel v alum. , look at the callaways for example. I think you should get a high milage c6 and make it a t1 car for overall value, use in scca, nasa, etc. By the way a well know sponsor is coming out with a very cost effective roll cage install kit soon,which is half the battle.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:27 AM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

We had a guy out here race his c6z and LOVED it. Had a cage specially fabbed, and the car was insane fast!!!

Honestly do what you love. 73K on that car is "a lot" but if you still love driving it on the street do that! If you want to turn it into a track car, do all the upgrades as you get more into track and then throw a cage if before you go racing. As for buying a totaled car, eh, I'd say buy a c5 race car (like mine) before you do that.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:41 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

I have not seen anyone do a cage correctly yet on a C6Z. Every one I have seen is massively unsafe, you cannot just bolt on a plate on top of the frame. It certainly can be done correctly, I just have not seen a proper example yet.

Last edited by ghoffman; 07-01-2009 at 08:45 AM.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:57 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by spazegun2213
We had a guy out here race his c6z and LOVED it. Had a cage specially fabbed, and the car was insane fast!!!

Honestly do what you love. 73K on that car is "a lot" but if you still love driving it on the street do that! If you want to turn it into a track car, do all the upgrades as you get more into track and then throw a cage if before you go racing. As for buying a totaled car, eh, I'd say buy a c5 race car (like mine) before you do that.
It would be less expensive to buy a used C5T1 car.

only cage in a c6Z that is worth any thing are the ones from Phoenix Performance.

the other advantage of the C5, it has been tested and improved upon for years, especially the computer plus NO TPS
Old 07-01-2009, 09:17 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

take a look at retired World Challenge cars.

Lots of $$$ thrown into them.

All the safety equipment and upgrades done already.

Some can be had for a song.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:17 AM
stano
Safety Car

Right now the goal is just to have fun and see how well I progress and where that takes me. I want to be safe as I can.

The frame issue has been brought up and I'm wondering if that is a concern. I've been told that it's easier to weld a full cage to the steel frame which of course makes sense. The C5Z has been an option but are guys moving up to the C6's yet with good results? Why is the C5 still popular other than cost? Are the C6's not competitive enough or aren't that many guys racing them yet?

I've also been thinking about other car models to race, Evo, Nissan Z etc., but I do love the vette

Either way my budget is around 30-35K for just the car.

Thanks a bunch guys
Old 07-01-2009, 09:27 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoffman
I have not seen anyone do a cage correctly yet on a C6Z. Every one I have seen is massively unsafe, you cannot just bolt on a plate on top of the frame. It certainly can be done correctly, I just have not seen a proper example yet.
I've seen some that have plates on both sides of the rail, with fasteners that go through both sides.

either way it's weird to think your cage is still basically bolted to the chassis.

some pretty amazing deals on storted race cars out there now during this garage sale economy. You could probably sell yours outright and buy something already ready to go and be way farther down the road, vs sinking $30k in yours.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:36 AM
stano
Safety Car

Originally Posted by drivinhard
I've seen some that have plates on both sides of the rail, with fasteners that go through both sides.

either way it's weird to think your cage is still basically bolted to the chassis.

some pretty amazing deals on storted race cars out there now during this garage sale economy. You could probably sell yours outright and buy something already ready to go and be way farther down the road, vs sinking $30k in yours.
I thought of that too.

Any good sites for used race cars...? Racing junk didn't have much the last time I looked.

I want to do it right the first time
Old 07-01-2009, 09:40 AM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Or.....here's another idea.

Pick up an ex ASA Delco series National Tour stock car.

Many are now racing in SCCA GTA & V8 Stockcar, very nice race ready examples can be bought for 20-25k and sometimes less. I sold my racewinning, track record holding example last fall in excellent condition with T101 4 speed minus engine for 13k.

They are:
Perimeter tube frame built for speeds of NASCAR 1.5 mile tracks and more