Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New from Hardbar, spherical Delrin pin top shock mounts

Old 06-30-2009, 05:45 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default New from Hardbar, spherical Delrin pin top shock mounts

This is the first and only truly correct mount for "pin top" shocks. They are CNC billet DuPont Delrin and stainless steel and will allow your shocks to have correct damping without the rubber and it still allows angular deflection of the shock as it goes through its' motion with virtually zero side load on the shock. Unlike some others, this is spherical on the top and bottom so it works with stock or coil-over shocks. Tested on Penske, Bilstein, Sachs (OE Corvette) shocks but will fit any shock with a 10mm upper pin top. The price is for an entire car set, $240. Better performance, better shock life, totally quiet for street or track use. In stock for immediate delivery.
The gold colored plate not included.
http://hardbarusa.com/hardbar/produc...roducts_id=141

Last edited by ghoffman; 07-01-2009 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:01 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I will get these to go with my future Koni FSDs.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:54 AM
vettedan
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gary,
Nice design!!!!
Will they work with C3 Corvettes?
Thanks,
Dan
Vetteworks
Old 07-01-2009, 08:43 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

That's the mount I plan on using with my Penskes.

I'll have a little longer shock travel.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:51 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by vettedan
Gary,
Nice design!!!!
Will they work with C3 Corvettes?
Thanks,
Dan
Vetteworks
It will, but the hole in the frame needs to be .850 inches (21.5 mm) in diameter. I think C2's and C3's are more like .70 or so. This is also a great replacement for SUV's, pickups etc.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:09 AM
0C5stein
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ghoffman
It will, but the hole in the frame needs to be .850 inches (21.5 mm) in diameter. I think C2's and C3's are more like .70 or so. This is also a great replacement for SUV's, pickups etc.
Awesome design Gary!
Are you suggesting that a C2 and C3 Corvette guy actually drill out the holes to .85"

Ahhh, I made you laugh. Didn't I?

Keep up the good work.
That is wht we will be putting on top of Gerrald's Penske's and Dave's Eibach/Calloway's

Mark

PS. I got to tour Penske Racing South race shop outside of Charlotte on Monday. It is unbelievable!
Old 07-01-2009, 12:11 PM
renoops
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gary's shock mounts

Hi all,

I'm local to Gary. He asked me to test a prototype version of these mounts on my 02 Z06. So I thought I would post my impressions. This is unprompted by Gary, BTW. I'm just doing what I can to help out.

The car--It's a pretty mild setup. Bilstein sports, T1 bars, poly bushings. Pretty much all I do with it is autocross it. It gets flogged very often and very hard.
I've done three or four autocrosses and an Evo School with the mounts.

The mounts--They simply work as advertised.

They have performed well, just like Gary said they would. I have noticed that the front end responds very well to inputs. The most telling thing, I felt, was when a friend and longtime autocrosser -- a guy whose opinion I really respect -- drove my car and another Z06 (a 2003) back-to-back at an autocross a couple weeks ago. This friend, said that my car turned in much harder.

Note: My car and this 03 are setup almost exactly the same. Same Bilstein sport shocks, same T1 bars, same alignment. The 03 has with poly shock mount bushings and stock rubber control arm bushings vs. my poly control arm bushings and Hardbar shock mounts. Also, both cars were on FRESH (0-10 runs) Kumho V710s.

The mounts are also quiet on the highway. I didn't notice any real increase in NHV type noises. (And if you're a waxer, you shouldn't be buying these parts anyway. :-P )

So there you go. I am posting my impressions because I want to try to help out Gary since he's been really helpful to me in getting my car set up well.

I can try to answer any other questions people might have.

-John
02 Z06

Last edited by renoops; 07-01-2009 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Added tire info
Old 07-01-2009, 12:39 PM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having the spherical on the top AND bottom really sets these apart.

Allowing the coilover to rotate properly takes away some of the huge side forces which can cause issues.

Well done Gary
Old 07-01-2009, 12:57 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Nice stuff.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:58 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Thanks guys! It has been a long time in development. The prototypes just had a rubber washer made from an old inner tube, but the production version shown has a fiber reinforced rubber washer for NVH and also to allow adequate preload on the nut. The damn rubber washer was the hardest part to get made! The nut needs to be torqued to 1/2 turn after everything is in contact. I think there will be a short break in period, then check the nut for torque then forget about it. The local tire shop that does my Hoosiers loves this for trick pickup truck suspensions as well! I figure I will get a ration of comments about clevis mounts, which I still prefer, but there are many, many times more pin top shocks out there so this is a very close second in performance. As Mike said, this is spherical on the top and bottom so that you guys with the leaf springs are taken care of! See, I can make normal stuff too, not just big buck things!
Old 07-01-2009, 02:22 PM
stano
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys! It has been a long time in development. The prototypes just had a rubber washer made from an old inner tube, but the production version shown has a fiber reinforced rubber washer for NVH and also to allow adequate preload on the nut. The damn rubber washer was the hardest part to get made! The nut needs to be torqued to 1/2 turn after everything is in contact. I think there will be a short break in period, then check the nut for torque then forget about it. The local tire shop that does my Hoosiers loves this for trick pickup truck suspensions as well! I figure I will get a ration of comments about clevis mounts, which I still prefer, but there are many, many times more pin top shocks out there so this is a very close second in performance. As Mike said, this is spherical on the top and bottom so that you guys with the leaf springs are taken care of! See, I can make normal stuff too, not just big buck things!
Will these work with the LG coilovers Gary?

Thanks!

Stan
Old 07-01-2009, 02:28 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

No, the LG's have clevis mounts. Other non-clevis mounted Bilsteins, yes!
Old 07-01-2009, 04:43 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

I measured 0.645 ID on a C3 shock mount hole.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:57 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

The stem of the mushroom piece could be turned down a little, but not that much. Maybe down to .750, but not .65.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:45 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

just ordered some up will be interesting to see how they feel on the car this next friday
Old 07-07-2009, 04:42 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

beautiful pieces i recieved them today!!

almost too pretty to put on the car
Old 07-07-2009, 05:56 PM
GrantB
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So what makes these better than Pfadt's Delrin damper mounts?

Get notified of new replies

To New from Hardbar, spherical Delrin pin top shock mounts

Old 07-07-2009, 05:58 PM
0Louis @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Made by a true NASA engineer
Old 07-07-2009, 08:27 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

just installed these, they are true works or art, me stock bilstein rear bushings were real bad, these are a must do upgrade as i am pretty sure i was getting tons fo deflection in my stock bilstein upper mounts, as the rears were nearly pancaked in some areas, the fronts were not near as bad but i did the complete set.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:20 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by GrantB
So what makes these better than Pfadt's Delrin damper mounts?
Correct geometry, and they are spherical top and bottom. With coil overs, you can get away with spherical on the bottom only because the loads are always loading the bottom surface. For leaf spring cars, you need it spherical top and bottom, because the spring pulls the shock down, loading the upper surface. In addition, these look stock which helps depending on what class you run in. These are are an OE replacement part for trucks and SUV's too! We just installed some on a Chevy Silverado with some DRM Bilsteins! The others have a minimum pin length of 2.25 which precludes Penskes and others, wheras these can go down to under 2 inch.

Last edited by ghoffman; 07-08-2009 at 12:45 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New from Hardbar, spherical Delrin pin top shock mounts