Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to shorten lap belts

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 09:50 PM
napacruzerc5
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Default How to shorten lap belts

I have a 6-pt G-Force cam lock harness with a Brey Krause harness bar. I'd like to shorten the lap belts since I have almost an extra foot of belt hanging on both sides. Is there an acceptable way of shortening the belt? Can I just cut off the extra belt? If I cut is there a way to "seal" the cut ends? The shoulder harness has a lot of extra material too but doesn't bother me since its behind the seat. The lap belts take up a lot of visual space and bugs me. Or should I just leave it alone and live with it?
Old 06-24-2009, 09:52 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by napacruzerc5
I have a 6-pt G-Force cam lock harness with a Brey Krause harness bar. I'd like to shorten the lap belts since I have almost an extra foot of belt hanging on both sides. Is there an acceptable way of shortening the belt? Can I just cut off the extra belt? If I cut is there a way to "seal" the cut ends? The shoulder harness has a lot of extra material too but doesn't bother me since its behind the seat. The lap belts take up a lot of visual space and bugs me. Or should I just leave it alone and live with it?

I'd say leave it, belts are too expensive to be cutting up.

You could roll them up and use a zip tie to keep them nice and together.

if you must cut them, I guess some fire would seal the ends and keep them from fraying (used to do this on old nylon boat ropes), but again... I've never tried.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:58 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Eat more donuts that will get rid of the extra belt quickly...
Old 06-25-2009, 10:17 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by wallyman424

You could roll them up and use a zip tie to keep them nice and together.
That's what I do with my shoulder belts. Roll the excess up and use a black zip tie to secure the roll. Mine are about an inch in diameter and hang just at the bottom of my harness bar. Very hard to see behind the seat.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:21 PM
Gramps
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Typically the webbing is nylon. The cut ends can be sealed with heat, that is, lightly dragging the cut end over an electric stove burner. I would buy some webbing at a hardware store and experiment with cutting and sealing prior to attacking a harness. Alternately, the previous suggestions are great. I especially like the one that involves the donuts.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:35 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by napacruzerc5
Leave enough so that the big ol donut munchin instructor can get strapped in there if need be.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:52 PM
2K3Z06
Burning Brakes

Location: KADS- If it has wings or an engine, I can break it. Dallas TX
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could try folding them over to make a loop for the pull up. My local dry cleaner has a small tailor shop next door. The mexican grandma doesn't speak much english, but she has heavy duty sewing machine and shes cheap.

Get notified of new replies

To How to shorten lap belts

Quick Reply: How to shorten lap belts