Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Z06 Stoptech Brake kits

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 06:49 AM
blackrockets
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 Z06 Stoptech Brake kits

We went last Sunday on the French F1 race track Magny-Cours. I have stock brakes with stainless steel lines, high temp fluid and XP8 Carbotech pads. After less than 20 minutes I had no more brakes. My brother has the Stoptech brake kits with 14" rotors and after 30 minutes, no problems at all.

So I would like to buy also Stoptech.

What is the best kit ?
Where are the best prices ?
My Swiss dealer mention that the 15" rotor can not fit the OEM wheels but this web site : http://www.buybrakes.com/stoptech/bb...Chevrolet.html mention that they fit the OEM wheels, what is correct?

Are the caliper the same for 14" and 15" rotor ?

Any experience of the brake performance difference between the 2 rotor sizes?

Does Carbotech produce pads for these calipers?
Old 06-23-2009, 09:33 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by blackrockets
We went last Sunday on the French F1 race track Magny-Cours. I have stock brakes with stainless steel lines, high temp fluid and XP8 Carbotech pads. After less than 20 minutes I had no more brakes. My brother has the Stoptech brake kits with 14" rotors and after 30 minutes, no problems at all.

What is the best kit ?
My Swiss dealer mention that the 15" rotor can not fit the OEM wheels but this web site : http://www.buybrakes.com/stoptech/bb...Chevrolet.html mention that they fit the OEM wheels, what is correct?

Yes we do, where did you buy your xp8's at?
Old 06-23-2009, 10:46 AM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

What is the best kit ?

Calipers between the 14 and 15" kits are very similar, there is a minor change in piston sizes but you could upgrade later with a bracket and rotor change.

If you do not need the larger rotor, you will save weight with the 14" version. The larger rotors do give you more mechanical advantage as well as more thermal heat absorption so they will last a bit longer. The one down side is the limited wheel section at that point. Stock wheels will not work with the larger rotors but will with the 14" kits. Personally run the smallest rotor you can get away with. Very tight tracks that are hard on braking should run the larger rotors.

There are some new upgraded 'Trophy kits' out there that take some highlights from the race kits and can be configured a couple different ways.

We have been working with StopTech for years, and even developed the ST-60 6 piston caliper on our World Challenge car back in 2004 so we know a thing or two about StopTech

We ship worldwide! Let me know if you need a front and rear or just a front kit. Love to help with anything that I can.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:21 AM
blackrockets
Instructor

Originally Posted by carbotech adam
Yes we do, where did you buy your xp8's at?

I bought them directly from you last year
Old 06-23-2009, 11:33 AM
blackrockets
Instructor

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Calipers between the 14 and 15" kits are very similar, there is a minor change in piston sizes but you could upgrade later with a bracket and rotor change.

If you do not need the larger rotor, you will save weight with the 14" version. The larger rotors do give you more mechanical advantage as well as more thermal heat absorption so they will last a bit longer. The one down side is the limited wheel section at that point. Stock wheels will not work with the larger rotors but will with the 14" kits. Personally run the smallest rotor you can get away with. Very tight tracks that are hard on braking should run the larger rotors.

There are some new upgraded 'Trophy kits' out there that take some highlights from the race kits and can be configured a couple different ways.

We have been working with StopTech for years, and even developed the ST-60 6 piston caliper on our World Challenge car back in 2004 so we know a thing or two about StopTech

We ship worldwide! Let me know if you need a front and rear or just a front kit. Love to help with anything that I can.
need a front kit 14" with XP8 Carbotech
Old 06-23-2009, 11:35 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

I bought them directly from you last year
did you drive the xp8 on the street? you should at least use a xp10 front and a xp8 rear.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:06 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

need a front kit 14" with XP8 Carbotech
See your PM's
Old 06-23-2009, 03:10 PM
blackrockets
Instructor

did you drive the xp8 on the street? you should at least use a xp10 front and a xp8 rear.
maybe you are right, I will have to check again what I bought. Actually, I had no more brake after 20 minutes not due to the pads, but just because I had no more pressure on the pedal.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:37 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

maybe you are right, I will have to check again what I bought. Actually, I had no more brake after 20 minutes not due to the pads, but just because I had no more pressure on the pedal.
Ok, i just want to clearify what was going on. Our pads dont fade in 20 minutes we will Get you the pads for the stoptech kit when you are ready.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:40 PM
flink
Racer

Our pads dont fade in 20 minutes
That's for sure. Check this out:

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320610

If the xp12's can keep working at those temperatures, they're basically immortal.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:44 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

That's nothing. Below are hawk dtc 70's on my stoptech st-40. 4 total track days. Not super hard on the brakes. No cooling may have contributed, but in the past (race car not this one) I have only used PFC pads with lots of success and much longer wear. Notice one of the pads has near zero friction material left. I didn't find out until I replaced them. Car did still stop well. One more lap and I would have damaged my rotor. I'm going back to the pfc's. The hawks I've found have way, way too much aggressive initial bite.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:11 AM
flink
Racer

That's nothing

Three track days, dtc-70's, st-40 calipers, two 3" ducts per side:

The furthest one did go to the backing plate. I didn't notice it, really. The pedal sunk an
inch, the brakes caught again, I thought "wtf" and kept on going for the day's remaining three laps,
no probs. I guess the pad which had remaining material did all the work. The rotors were
OK too - I'm still using them.

Of the PFC range I've only tried PFC97's. They're excellent for lighter use, and I'm sure would be
OK on a car which weighs less than 3700 lbs , or on a track which is less fast than Thunderhill.
They certainly last a long time. But what I found was when they get really hot (#14 at thunderhill)
the torque drops right away - I was having to brake at the 3-1/2 marker and was still overshooting.
The consequent transfer of braking force to the rears caused the fluid in the rear calipers to boil (I
believe it was the rears).

I'm hellish on brakes. The GTO is hellish on brakes. Thunderhill is hellish on brakes. It makes for an
interesting combination.

I'm very very impressed by how well the stoptech calipers and rotors are standing up to all of this.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:58 AM
rad_vet
Racer

Flink,

Did you do a track day with Unlimited Laps 17 Oct 08? If so, I remember the sound of your car, it sounded great!

Tony
Old 06-24-2009, 12:12 PM
flink
Racer

Originally Posted by rad_vet
Flink,

Did you do a track day with Unlimited Laps 17 Oct 08?
Gosh, that was a long time ago.

<checks>

I did!

Unlimitedlaps are the best organizer I've run with. I ran with them last Friday and pulled off a 2:09. Might
have squeaked 2:07 with hawk pads. I plan to take the car to 2:05 and shall then have a rethink.

If so, I remember the sound of your car, it sounded great!
heh, thanks. It may be heavy with sucky suspension and skinny tires, but she sure do sound good!
Old 06-24-2009, 05:04 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Wow, I thought mine were bad. So what pads are you running now? Mine above have 1 days at sears one at t-hill going over the top of 5 and 2 days going backwards using the bypass. My car is about 3400lbs.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:52 PM
flink
Racer

Originally Posted by trackboss
Wow, I thought mine were bad. So what pads are you running now?
I've used PFC97's for the past four track days. I bought them as an experiment - do they last
as long as they say and is the lack of "initial bite" really a problem?

It turns out that they do last a tremendous time. Track day #1 was a gentle day at thunderhill
(was shaking down some suspension changes, ran with the intermediate group, 2:15ish laps). The
pads lost 0.8mm out of 11mm! The pads were disconcertingly bad during initial application for
the first session or two, but then that went away.

Days 2 and 3 were at Reno-Fernley. Also very gentle - my first time there and it's
not a very braking-intensive track. The pads lost about another 1mm and performed A-OK.

Day 4 was thunderhill, going hard. Once they got really hot, the PFC97's just couldn't stop the car.
I haven't measured them, but it looks like I went through 4mm or so.

So I'll go back to DTC-70's (maybe dtc-60's) and shall just put up with the additional cost.

I've had quite bad judder problems with the dtc-70's in the past. I still haven't quite found
the magical bed-in process for those pads. I had no such problems with the PFC97's. Oh well.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:20 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

That's good info. I'll have to see how the 01's do for me. I still have the dtc's in the back, but its only because I plan on changing to a differenct caliper soon and don't want to buy new pads now that I'll just be tossing.
I always liked the 90 and 93 compound pfcs way back. They tended to over stop the car a bit as the initial bite was not super strong and they came in hard a moment after brakes were applied, but I got used to the modulation. Keep in mind that was on an AI race car that I was very familiar with. The 01's I've used on a similar race car, but they are new to me on the corvette.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Z06 Stoptech Brake kits

Old 06-24-2009, 07:31 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PFC01's are the bomb you'll love them.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:00 AM
errance
Pro

Hey blackrockets,
Sorry for the mild thread hijacking... I'd like to find some track days for my next trip to France and Belgium. Magny Cours and Spa are high on my list. Any web sites / organizations you could point me to?
Old 06-25-2009, 09:45 AM
blackrockets
Instructor

Originally Posted by errance
Hey blackrockets,
Sorry for the mild thread hijacking... I'd like to find some track days for my next trip to France and Belgium. Magny Cours and Spa are high on my list. Any web sites / organizations you could point me to?

http://www.pistenclub.com/Default.as...language=en-US

Quick Reply: C6 Z06 Stoptech Brake kits