Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW – Fog Light Brake Cooling Inlet Kit for C6 and Z06

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 12:12 AM
0Lambert_Automotive
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW – Fog Light Brake Cooling Inlet Kit for C6 and Z06

We at Quantum are proud to offer our fog light replacement air inlet system for the C6 Corvette.

We designed this kit initially for Michelin Tire (www.michelinman.com) for use at their R&D facility on their C6 Z06 test car. The intent was to bring the brake duct air inlet up into the high pressure area of the car (fog light) from the low pressure area (under front bumper).

Michelin also requested we adapt an inline fan, as the testing they perform on their tires requires they do not run cool down laps. The fans provide cooling air to the brakes for a rapid pit in situation, and are also ideal for a low speed course. The fans attach to the stock electrical connectors for the fog lights and are run by the fog light switch.

We plan to build a limited number of these kits, and right now we are offering them for sale here on the CF exclusively. (The inlet is a custom piece, that using our current mfg. methods takes us a while to produce)

The kit will be offered with or without the fans.

The kit will include everything you need to install these inlets on your C6:
  • Custom fog light adaptors designed to mount to OE mounting points in the front bumper
  • Wire mesh covers (Aluminum)
  • Modified Z06 brake ducts
  • Fans (optional)
  • All necessary hoses, adaptors and mounting hardware.

Whichever configuration of this kit you choose to purchase you are guaranteed to move a great deal more air to your brakes and wheel bearings than with the stock inlets, particularly if you have installed a more aggressive splitter.

Combine this kit with our competition brake cooling kits for the C6 and C6 Z06 found HERE and HERE, for the ultimate brake cooling solution for your street or track car.

NEW Fog Light Inlet Pricing:

$319.00 – w/o Fans
$439.00 – w/ Fans

Please keep in mind these will be built to order so please allow 3-4 weeks for delivery.

Give us a call at: 888-422-9685 and upgrade to the brake cooling kit run by Michelin today!
Old 06-23-2009, 07:19 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Very nice please show more detailed pictures. JD
Old 06-23-2009, 03:30 PM
0Lambert_Automotive
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by JDIllon
Very nice please show more detailed pictures. JD
Right now I do not have larger/more detailed pics for a couple of reasons. The first is that the unit pictured is a prototype kit that we tested on our car. The ones we built for Michelin are, so far, the only production units we have built. Any pictures of the prototypes do not do justice to the final production version.

The second reason is we do not want anyone to get a bit overzealous and copy our design. Then proceed to mass produce it and undercut our price.

Trust me this is a high quality well designed and built kit. We made only the best for Michelin and we make only the best for you guys as well!
Old 06-23-2009, 10:48 PM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Looks like a clever design. Do you have any data showing how much this reduces peak rotor temperatures?
Old 06-23-2009, 11:54 PM
flink
Racer

I wouldn't leave the fans running after the car has halted - it could cause a rotor to crack due to the
differential contraction.

I had fans running off the foglights for a while on the GTO. It was a bit of a PITA remembering
to turn them on and off and I had no evidence that they were beneficial so I eventually tossed
them.

Unless it's a specialIy waterproof fan, I wouldn't combine a foglight intake with a fan. Because if it
rains, the fans could rust out. So when I had the fans I took the air from the sheltered area
behind the bumper cover:

Old 06-24-2009, 06:48 AM
0Lambert_Automotive
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by flink
I wouldn't leave the fans running after the car has halted - it could cause a rotor to crack due to the
differential contraction.

I had fans running off the foglights for a while on the GTO. It was a bit of a PITA remembering
to turn them on and off and I had no evidence that they were beneficial so I eventually tossed
them.

Unless it's a specialIy waterproof fan, I wouldn't combine a foglight intake with a fan. Because if it
rains, the fans could rust out. So when I had the fans I took the air from the sheltered area
behind the bumper cover:
The fans are indeed a special waterproof fan. They are actually designed to work for a wet application. That is why I choose them. There is not one part on them that will rust if exposed to water.

Our competition spindle ducts for the Corvette pictured below disperse the incoming air over the entire center of the rotor. The zoned cooling effect is greatly reduced with this design over our GTO design, when the car is stationary.

In Michelin's case they were cracking rotors because they are not able to cool the brakes with a cool down lap. The manner in which they test their tires does not permit this. Combining our spindle plates with this special designed kit offers greater cooling on the track and the ability to keep cooling them while the car is stationary.

Pic of the spindle duct:

Old 06-24-2009, 09:05 AM
bowtiguy
Melting Slicks

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

thats EXACTLY what I was thinking about doing. just had not got around to it. I NEVER had a problem with boiling brakes in my 4th gen F-body (2) 3X5" NACA ducts feeding 3" hose to the center of the rotor. These were installed in the lower air dam.

I've felt for a while now that the bottom feeder design does not provide enough air on heavy braking lower speed ( read multi turn) tracks. I had no problems at Road America, but every track since I have, even with coleman rotors and Cobalt 1 piece pads.

I'll be in touch. Thanks for saving me the time.

Last edited by bowtiguy; 06-24-2009 at 10:20 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:02 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Quantum_Motorsports
Right now I do not have larger/more detailed pics for a couple of reasons. The first is that the unit pictured is a prototype kit that we tested on our car. The ones we built for Michelin are, so far, the only production units we have built. Any pictures of the prototypes do not do justice to the final production version.

The second reason is we do not want anyone to get a bit overzealous and copy our design. Then proceed to mass produce it and undercut our price.

Trust me this is a high quality well designed and built kit. We made only the best for Michelin and we make only the best for you guys as well!
copying never happen on the forum did it?

doubt fans would crack the rotors flowing towards the center. I did come in fast from the track and the wind blew air into the brake duct through the wheel on one side. The duct collapsed from the heat.

Not sure at what speed the fans would become a hinderance at high speed vs what they flow have you figured that? Always debated that but I really can't figure it out myself

thanks

Last edited by John Shiels; 06-24-2009 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:23 AM
SLandstra_Z06
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll have a set installed on my Z06 for the NCM NJMP event on July 20-21. I'm really looking forward to having a top-notch brake duct design on my car. Stop by and check out the set up at NJMP.

Thanks for addressing the brake cooling with our cars, Jon...

Steve
Old 06-27-2009, 11:33 PM
bowtiguy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SLandstra_Z06
I'll have a set installed on my Z06 for the NCM NJMP event on July 20-21. I'm really looking forward to having a top-notch brake duct design on my car. Stop by and check out the set up at NJMP.

Thanks for addressing the brake cooling with our cars, Jon...

Steve

please give us an update after the event.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:57 PM
bowtiguy
Melting Slicks

ANY updates??

I've E-mailed, called and PM's.

No replies.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:27 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

hasnt passed away have they?

No offense to quantum but man the $ and opportunity some of these places miss out on by not getting back to people or being reachable is a big loss for them.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:27 AM
bowtiguy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dvandentop
hasnt passed away have they?

No offense to quantum but man the $ and opportunity some of these places miss out on by not getting back to people or being reachable is a big loss for them.
agreed. I'm "this close" to making my own. just won't have the fans, which is fine.

I exceed 115mph quite regularly on the track. and I used to run my 3500 Lb F-body with C5 brakes with 2 3X5" front fed ducts with NO fade at all!
Old 03-13-2010, 12:23 PM
0Lambert_Automotive
Former Vendor

We're still here guys. Patience please... as with this economy I have been forced to take more out of town engineering work so my availability is a little bit more limited.

New product development has slipped as well because more of my efforts being dedicated to the engineering clients.

Thanks,

Jon
Old 03-13-2010, 01:08 PM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Quantum_Motorsports
We're still here guys. Patience please... as with this economy I have been forced to take more out of town engineering work so my availability is a little bit more limited.

New product development has slipped as well because more of my efforts being dedicated to the engineering clients.

Thanks,

Jon

Jon,

I have and am using your competition front brake cooling ducts for my C5 Z06. Thanks for a great product.

I have a request:

My Z06 has been tubbed by Lingenfelter. As part of their tubbing process they removed the stock C5 Z06 rear brake cooling ducts. Are you working on a rear brake cooling duct system for C5 Z06 owners who have had their cars tubbed?

I would like more rear rotor cooling. Suggestions?
Old 03-13-2010, 10:28 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

Pumba, in most cases you don't need rear ducts. The harder you stop, the more weight is shifted to the front........ in most cases, the rear brakes are doing less than 30% of the actual braking, and the rotors are capable of maintaining adequate temps on their own. Obviously this is why we almost always run cooler pads in the rear as well.

I never felt the C5Z06 ducts really worked anyway.........
Old 02-13-2011, 12:21 AM
The Jake
Instructor

Was the kit with the electric fans discontinued? I was on the Quantum website looking for the kit with the electric fans and couldn't find it.

-Alex.

Get notified of new replies

To NEW – Fog Light Brake Cooling Inlet Kit for C6 and Z06

Old 02-13-2011, 01:16 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Originally Posted by The Jake
Was the kit with the electric fans discontinued? I was on the Quantum website looking for the kit with the electric fans and couldn't find it.

-Alex.
never really took off since quantum said they needed to spend more time on their full time engineering job.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:30 AM
The Jake
Instructor

Well thats great. Do you know if the kit that is on the Quantum website still has the duct pieces that mount up to the fog light holes?

Thanks.
-Alex.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:49 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

sorry i dont

Quick Reply: NEW – Fog Light Brake Cooling Inlet Kit for C6 and Z06