Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RE11 or XS for HPDEs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 10:17 PM
steel_3d
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

Default RE11 or XS for HPDEs?

I'm in a pretty big dilemma about which tires to get. I've read one review that said the XS gets slightly greasy with heavy hot lapping (http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums...ad.php?t=40401), but can't find any relevant experiences with the re11. People have said that the RE01R used to get greasy.

Any experiences here?
Old 06-22-2009, 10:48 PM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by steel_3d
I'm in a pretty big dilemma about which tires to get. I've read one review that said the XS gets slightly greasy with heavy hot lapping (http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums...ad.php?t=40401), but can't find any relevant experiences with the re11. People have said that the RE01R used to get greasy.

Any experiences here?
I can confirm that the XS gets greasy after a few hot laps. It happened to me yesterday.

However, I also can confirm that it is a very good track tire. Not as grippy as an R-compound, but I wouldn't recommend using an R-compound as an everyday street tire either.

It is better than most street tires even after a few hot laps. When we say they get greasy, we mean they are not as good as they were the first few laps.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:06 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Others with more experience may chime in, but here is my take on the "greasy" issue: I'm an advanced intermediate (20+ track days) and have driven 4 tires on the track: Falken RT-615, Nitto NT01, Nitto 555RII and BFG KDWs. All of them, to varying degrees start to go off (i.e. get "greasy") after about 15-20 min of lapping. But its really not an issue. You can feel the rear starting to get a little loose and you adjust the steering and throttle inputs accordingly. Sliding the car around is half the fun and teaches you car control, so my 2 cents is - don't worry about it. The XS are highly regarded from what I've read and should do just fine.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:07 PM
steel_3d
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Personally I haven't been bothered by either F1 SCs or PS2s falling off over many laps. Then again there's the rt615 that people really hate on the track. I just don't want that. It seems the XS is not that, but I like the shoulder blocks on the RE11 more, so if it held up to heat as well or better, I'd prefer it. Yeah I'm splitting hairs but it doesn't hurt to get some opinions.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:16 AM
C6 4 AL
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re11

I have the RE11's and think they are darn good. I would recommend them. When I changed from 888's that heat cycled out picked up 2 seconds a lap at streets of willow.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:03 AM
steel_3d
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

How well would you say those re11s hold up to heat?

Get notified of new replies

To RE11 or XS for HPDEs?

Quick Reply: RE11 or XS for HPDEs?