Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BG Goodrich G-Force R1 question.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:24 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Default BG Goodrich G-Force R1 question.

So how well do they work compared to other popular brands? I'm considering a set of 285/30/18's for my C5Z.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:59 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

We were able to do a test on the tires back in the earlier days of them building them. They were a very good tire, in the dry. There are much better tires for the rain. We have been happy on them. I can't compare them with anything else, because I don't have a ton of time on them. Our customers have been happy running them.

We pulled this Vert out of the trailer. Warmed it up and made three runs. Had the highest G force number, packed up and went home.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:54 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The new R1s are a different beast, Randy. They're trying to compete with the Hoosier A6/R6.

Maybe Aaron Pfadt will chime in, I saw him running a set on his car at Spring Mountain last year. When I asked him about them he didn't seem all that happy with them.

I'm no help, last BFG R1 I ran was the one from long ago with the asymmetric sidewall stiffness to help camber limited cars, etc. :-) The one with the loved "groove of doom."

Last edited by gkmccready; 06-18-2009 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-18-2009, 12:37 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gkmccready
The new R1s are a different beast, Randy. They're trying to compete with the Hoosier A6/R6.

Maybe Aaron Pfadt will chime in, I saw him running a set on his car at Spring Mountain last year. When I asked him about them he didn't seem all that happy with them.

I'm no help, last BFG R1 I ran was the one from long ago with the asymmetric sidewall stiffness to help camber limited cars, etc. :-) The one with the loved "groove of doom."
I didn't know they are trying to run down the Hossiers. Maybe I can beat them out of a set to play around with. The older ones liked to be broken in like the old Yokohamas. If you don't do it, they are bad and just get worse.

Randy
Old 06-18-2009, 12:45 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gkmccready

A couple GTS 3 guys (who are really consistent) ran them last year. They are similar to the R6's in lap time but seem to fall off faster.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:52 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/specs...e-r1/3824.html

(Pointing to the image mean I broke "Click to enlarge")
Old 06-18-2009, 01:33 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Hmmm. So far, the opinions here differ from most other places I've seen and read. I know our cars are a bit heavier so that's why I asked. Grassroots did a tire test last year and if I remember correctly, the BFG beat the R6.

Here's a BFG ad:

Old 06-18-2009, 01:38 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HAHA, yeah thats max and eric... don't read too much into that ad.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:46 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Who the hell is Max and Eric?
Old 06-18-2009, 02:30 PM
RX7 KLR
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

We are using them on our SSC car. They can really take a beating, but do take a few laps to get up to temp. They are a bit harder than the Hoosier or Kumho, but work really well on tire abusive cars, and on hot days.

The R1 even took a Championship (SSB) at the 2008 Runoffs.

Get notified of new replies

To BG Goodrich G-Force R1 question.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BG Goodrich G-Force R1 question.