Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trans fluid seeping out after a track day

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 11:22 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default trans fluid seeping out after a track day

this happened second time in a row, after a track day I see some fluid on the bottom of trans, towards the back where the drain plug is. it is the lowest point on the case so it is possible it is coming out somewhere else and collecting there. if i wipe it off it does not come back until after the next track day. not enough to make a puddle under the car, maybe a few drops.

i also found some small pieces of silicone-like material on the inside of both plugs when i pulled them out. nothing else that I can see on the plugs or in the fluid. i measured how much fluid came out and it appears there was a little more than 4 quarts.

a little anxious since it happened twice and I have 2-day event coming up this weekend. I do have an option of taking a different car but I would rather not.

common problem? OK to keep tracking the car?

c5z
Old 06-18-2009, 12:35 AM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not uncommon

The same thing happened to me with my '00 Z51. C5 transmissions are notorious for leaking seals.

It started as a wet spot on the bottom of the case, like you're talking about. After a few months it became a puddle about the size of a quarter. After several more months, it was a puddle about the size of a tennis ball. Eventually it became bad enough (enough fluid leaked out) that it caused the trans/diff to fail (had a bad gear whine at speed). After the transmission shop had fixed it, it didn't leak anymore.

I would recommend taking it to a trans repair shop. They can replace the leaking seals, and solve your leaking problem before it causes damage to the internals. If you catch it now, it shouldn't be very expensive to fix.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:45 AM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Manual or auto? Autos have a puke valve on top (or so sayeth my mechanic) that blows excess fluid out. Under road race conditions, it can produce a little trans fluid on the floor. If it's a manual, I've not seen that happen to my car unless something was a little wrong.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:27 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

mn12 transmission
Old 06-18-2009, 03:10 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bobmoore2
C5 transmissions are notorious for leaking seals.
Really?! I don't think I've ever had one to leak in all these years.

The only thing that ever leaked back there was the left side diff where the half shaft goes in. But, after talking to a few folks, the trick is not to fill the diff up so much...leave about 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch from the top and the problem went away.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:20 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by wtknght1
Really?! I don't think I've ever had one to leak in all these years.

The only thing that ever leaked back there was the left side diff where the half shaft goes in. But, after talking to a few folks, the trick is not to fill the diff up so much...leave about 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch from the top and the problem went away.

Usually the car wasn't level when filled
Old 06-18-2009, 06:28 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

it appears my transmission was overfilled by about 1/3rd of a quart. not sure if that is what is causing the issue
Old 06-18-2009, 09:42 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by longdaddy
it appears my transmission was overfilled by about 1/3rd of a quart. not sure if that is what is causing the issue
Probably,

Clean it all up with a spray can of brake cleaner & check it after driving for a while.

Get notified of new replies

To trans fluid seeping out after a track day

Quick Reply: trans fluid seeping out after a track day