Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cobalt Brake Pads (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 01:22 AM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Cobalt Brake Pads (UPDATED NEW PICS)

Pics posted in my albums of the Cobalts after THREE race weekends consisting of practice days on Friday, qualifying and race sessions on Sat/Sun. This, along with a test day here at MAM and an autox day with two drivers (12 runs and 4 fun runs). The calipers have NOT been cleaned in any way and are exactly as they look after the above usage.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/memb...er-albums.html

Last edited by CP Thunder; 07-01-2009 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:27 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very good pictures of the caliper spread and resultant pad wear as well.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:20 AM
Z06Fix
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which compound are you using?
Old 06-17-2009, 10:01 AM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Originally Posted by Z06Fix
Which compound are you using?
XR1's.........they are rated for cars 'over' 2800 lbs.........the XR2s are for under 2800 lbs.....

I am going to try and get over to the shop and take a picture of a set of ONE weekend rotors (Hawk pads) to show the dramatic difference in wear.

Note: Our brake ducting does NOT use the spindle mount which blows the air directly on the inside surface area of the rotor. I removed the spindle mount and redirected the duct to the center of the hub instead. I believe (I am not an engineer) that the cool air hitting 'one side' of a hot rotor was resulting in uneven cooling and helped contribute to the cracking process. ALL of our broken rotors cracked on the outside half of the rotor, never the inside.

We have broken very few since relocating the duct and after observing the results with the new Cobalt pads, unless we just run the rotors to death, I don't suspect we will crack any more.

Thanks Cobalt!!!
Old 06-17-2009, 10:05 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

you certainly do want the air going into the center, so it can vent evenly through the vanes. I've been told by brake system designers that, as you point out, cooling one side of the rotor surface is no effective, and possibly detrimental.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:06 AM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sidney004
Very good pictures of the caliper spread and resultant pad wear as well.
Those pics were submitted to the SCCA CRB as evidence for a brake upgrade for the C5/6 cars in T1. Although these are Mustang calipers, they are basically the same unit as the PBR C5 piece and fail just the same. I cannot take credit for the pics as they were provided by Joel Lipperini........

Thanks Joel!!!
Old 06-17-2009, 10:08 AM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
you certainly do want the air going into the center, so it can vent evenly through the vanes. I've been told by brake system designers that, as you point out, cooling one side of the rotor surface is no effective, and possibly detrimental.

Makes me wonder why SCCA approves a spindle mount that does exactly that.........

Old 06-17-2009, 11:04 AM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

My experience with the Cobalt pads is very similar. The set I currently have has lasted for 3 track days, and two races with plenty of pad still left!! No "bedding" required and the rotor stays very clean. XR1's in front, XR2's in the rear.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:13 AM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Haven't put the XR2s on the rear yet........still burning off the 'new' Hawks that were put on right before we got the Cobalts. They should be on by the time we hit Hallett in two weeks. Agree the XR1 / 2 combo is the right setup.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:00 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

What rotors and how many days on them?
Old 06-17-2009, 12:10 PM
dcvee
Instructor

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
Exactly. Also, since I'm a Vette noob and haven't even had mine on the lift yet, are the rotors directional? By that I mean are there curved vanes or just radial? I see a lot of pictures of Vette rotors in bad condition.....

Don
Old 06-17-2009, 12:37 PM
GrantB
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I use LG spindle ducts, and have placed brake temp pain on the outer ring of both sides of the rotor. I've never seen the inside and outside colors differ - they always seem to indicate the same peak temperature.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:47 PM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Originally Posted by dcvee
Exactly. Also, since I'm a Vette noob and haven't even had mine on the lift yet, are the rotors directional? By that I mean are there curved vanes or just radial? I see a lot of pictures of Vette rotors in bad condition.....

Don
Yes.........directional.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:07 PM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After 13 years of racing Corvettes, Cobalt Friction is without a doubt the best pad I have ever used. Unbelievable initial torque, easy to modulate, wear far superior to any comperable race pad (actually, there is no comperable pad), and yet easy on the rotors.

We have all Corvette pads in stock including the single piece pad for the C6 Z06.

Robert Finlayson
Performance AFX Motorsports
630-844-0089
Old 06-17-2009, 01:27 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Any pics of the duct going into the "center"? Is it just directed at the back of the bearing/hub assembly?
Old 06-17-2009, 01:33 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Agreed.

We started with Cobalt in 2006 on our World Challenge cars after running PFC pads for years. Once we made the switch, not only are the pads great but also the service that you get from Cobalt themselves. The guys have always been a dream to work with in making new pad shapes, new compounds, and help with what we have now!

The XR2 is what we started out with in the Challenge cars and what we run in most of our track cars with great success. Better torque, bite, and wear life over the PFC 03 and 01 pads, how can you go wrong?

The GTS (now CSR) compound is a great entry level pad for those just starting at the track but don't want to hassle with pad changes at the track, just put them in before the event and drive to and from the track with no worries about needing heat for the pads to work!

As always, hit me up any time you have questions. I have fitments for stock C5, C6, C6Z calipers, StopTech, and Brembo in a number of compounds at any time.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:49 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

XR1 pads are amazing i will never switch to anything else these are unbeatable for wear and also not tough on the rotors

Get notified of new replies

To Cobalt Brake Pads (PICS)

Old 06-17-2009, 01:52 PM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Actually, I just found out we have the Xr1s for the rears too. We don't run in the rain so I think we will be fine.........will post up any issues we encounter after we make the complete swap but am not anticipating any.....
Old 06-17-2009, 02:05 PM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jason
Any pics of the duct going into the "center"? Is it just directed at the back of the bearing/hub assembly?
I have about a 15 inch piece of stiff hose (regular orange/black duct hose) zip tied and duct taped to the output side of the hard plastic duct. It is not attached anywhere else. It stands out free from any suspension pieces. When the car is on the ground, it points directly into the hub/open rotor area. The tires do not contact it at all. They did however hit the hard plastic piece but now that I installed 1/8in spacers that problem is resolved, and suspension travel doesn't seem to effect it. It's just sorta hanging out inside of all the suspension pieces. It 'might' be able to be attached to the upper a-arm but I don't think this is optimal for either longevity or best direct airflow. Maybe with a alum diffuser in the end of the hose??

The hose is mainly pointed right at the leading edge of the hub and directly into the front/center area of the rotor to help push air out through the vanes.........no fancy (or expensive and unnecessary) mounting kits. Again, I can't recall the last time we cracked a rotor since taking off the spindle mount.

Will post up pics when I work on the car next........

Last edited by CP Thunder; 06-17-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:33 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Thanks. I'm destroying rotors. More than one a day sometimes. I'm switching from Hawk to Carbotech pads for my next event (once I get a new transmission), but I'm looking for anything that will help. I have the spindle mounts blowing right on the inside of the rotor. Always cracks on the outside, and always either on a cooldown lap or in the pits between sessions.

Quick Reply: Cobalt Brake Pads (PICS)