Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first NCCC video, and a classification question..

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 03:08 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,390 Likes on 743 Posts

Default My first NCCC video, and a classification question..

I went to my first NCCC autocross out at Mineral Wells this last Saturday, where they held 7 or 8 "events" (I only knew and registered for the first 4, so I was done at lunch). The course was very simple which put a premium on car suspension and power. I was classified in 2H (C5 LS1 with headers and intake) and, while I haven't had the tallied resuts emailed to me yet, I think I came in 3rd, 2nd, 1st, and 3rd in class. Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR37P12ItaA

Now, my classification question. What does it take to get moved from Class 2 to 3? I was in 2H due to my intake and headers, but my main competition was a C5 coupe (the H part), with a modified auto tranny (manual valve body), most all engine bolt-ons, but no internal engine mods.

Where is the transition point between Class 2 and 3? I couldn't find anyone out there that could answer my question.

TIA, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 06-15-2009, 03:31 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

All you have to do to go to IIIH would be to install a rear 4 point bar and harness. At that point you can do a lot more mods and run NON DOT slicks if you want and unlimited power.

For high speed NCCC events you would need a small bolt in fire bottle with steel bracket and a firesuit too.

Someone chime in if I missed something but that should cover it I believe.

Aaron
Old 06-15-2009, 03:33 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Get a rule book and read.
Basically external mods moves from grp 1 (stock) to grp 2
Internal mods moves from grp 2 to grp 3

If you decide you want to do internal mods (different cam, heads, etc.) Read the rule book 3 or 4 times to be sure you add the correct safety equipment.
Also contact your region competition director for any clarifications to the rules.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:43 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 936 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Like you said you are not allowed internal engine mods in Group II. Putting different rocker arms on bumps you to Group III. You can change things like suspension bushings, shocks, and swaybars in Group II, but no weight reduction is allowed in Group II. Even Group III you need most of the interior but you are allowed more horsepower mods. You are not allowed much in Group II, it is mostly bolt ons like cold air intake, short throw shifter, and simple things, but Group III is basically a streetable race car, then RP is all out race car.

Here is a link to the NCCC Competition Rules.

https://93075438.domainhost.com/Hand...peedevents.pdf
Old 06-15-2009, 04:03 PM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Aaron for low speeds a roll bar is no longer required for Group III.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:06 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 69autoXr
Aaron for low speeds a roll bar is no longer required for Group III.
Thats even better for this guy if low speeds is all he wants to do. Thanks for updating me on that one!

Aaron
Old 06-15-2009, 05:04 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

So, internal mods to the transmission should move you to group 3?

I already understood about the engine internals, but I was curious about the transmission. Interestingly, if I read this correctly (thanks Kubs), an LS-6 plenum on an LS-1 engine bumps your class, although the dating rules confuse me.

Best I can figure out, a "shift kit" is something different than a manual controlled valve body in an auto tranny. Is that correct?

BTW, was that course typical for an NCCC event?

Thanks again, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 06-15-2009, 08:08 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

I think transmission mods are ok as long as the gear ratios are still stock. Trans and rear end gears must be production values for Group II.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:33 PM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
Best I can figure out, a "shift kit" is something different than a manual controlled valve body in an auto tranny. Is that correct?
No, a shift kit basically converts a valve body to manual control, so that it will hold a gear until you shift it. Legal for Group II.

Rear end ratios are free in Group II as long as they fit in the stock housing.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:49 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Thanks to all for the education. Shame that the local NCCC clubs don't autocross more often; the experience wasn't without its bumps, but it was a fun day.

Y'all have a good one,
Mike
Old 06-15-2009, 10:54 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
Thanks to all for the education. Shame that the local NCCC clubs don't autocross more often; the experience wasn't without its bumps, but it was a fun day.

Y'all have a good one,
Mike
Haha come to Cleveland. Autocrosses are all NCCC clubs do. Its hard to find a club willing to do a high speed event (which is what I do). MY club does one once a year which isnt enough for me.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:14 AM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Like they said, the roll bar is not needed in group 3 in a low speed anymore. It is still required at a high speed though. And yes, in group 3 at a high speed, you must have a fire suit, low speed doesn't require it.

The fire extinguisher is a requirement in all cars group 2 and above minimum 5BC rating. It now must have a metal bracket and a guage on it.

In group 2 you can run any tranny that was available in your class,(so any from 97-04 non z06). You are allowed an after market shifter, shift kit, torque converter, and a tranny cooler. In group 3 you can run any tranny you want.

An LS6 intake on an LS1 would move you into 2J because that is where the LS6s run. It's the same way for me. If I put an L82 intake on my L48, i would be moved to 2B instead of 2D. Once you get into group 3, the LS1s and LS6s run in the same class, 3H, so it's a moot point then.

If you would like to run a pretty fast course, we set up good ones at Grissom Aeroplex in Peru, IN. We do alot of events here in Indiana throughout the year. Come up for a visit. We welcome everybody!
Old 06-16-2009, 12:21 AM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I just watched the video and comapared to what we run up here, that looks a little faster and alot more open. We tend to make the courses a little more technical but still make them fast. We want to test the drivers skill and not so much the power of the car!

As far as a typical course, it depends on where you run. On a big open airport like that that is typical. If you run in a high school parking lot, it is a lot tighter and relies more on driver skill.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:46 PM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 315 Likes on 270 Posts

[QUOTE=vettehardt;1570464069] An LS6 intake on an LS1 would move you into 2J because that is where the LS6s run. It's the same way for me. If I put an L82 intake on my L48, i would be moved to 2B instead of 2D. Once you get into group 3, the LS1s and LS6s run in the same class, 3H, so it's a moot point then.

An LS6 intake is the same as the 01-04 LS1 intake and would move a 98-00 LS1 car to 2H not 2J. You would have to change to a LS6 engine to move to 2J.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:14 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

You can be pretty much stock and be forced to run Group III. I run Group III because I have aftermarket brake calipers on the front of my Z. The only engine mod I have is a Donaldson air cleaner. I have the aftermarket calipers since I do a lot of HPDEs and they provide more consistent braking with longer pad life than I can get with the stock calipers.

Bill
Old 06-16-2009, 03:32 PM
FASST LN
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've never seen an autocross course like that before!

Dang, sign me up! That was awesome!!
Old 06-16-2009, 05:41 PM
ERND IT
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI-3 Car Show Winner
CI-4 Car Show Winner
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'09

Video!!

That place is known for their "Texas Low Speed" autocross courses I ran at Mineral Wells for 1 weekend (14 events) a couple of years ago and will never forget it - don't need the brakes, just hit the go-go pedal and occasionally lift Great place and VERY nice people...

Same goes for Grissom - LOVE that place, too, although I haven't been in over a year and hear that the concrete surface is starting to break up somewhat... I hope to get there later this year for another NCCC weekend!

Get notified of new replies

To My first NCCC video, and a classification question..

Quick Reply: My first NCCC video, and a classification question..