Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Atlanta, time of my life

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 09:44 PM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Atlanta, time of my life

NASA held its June Jam this weekend and I tried the event out after 6 HPDE days with Chin Motorsports, the last being just two weeks ago there at Road Atlanta.

That first day two weeks ago left me knowing one thing for sure. I had to learn heel toe downshifting to drive this track right. So I came determined that if nothing else, I was going to get heel toe down. I drove my Z06 to work for two weeks practicing that throttle blip everytime I braked. Bumper to bumper freeway commute suddenly became my practice ground. Everytime someone romped the brakes in front of me was a chance for me to get the brake low enough to blip the throttle.

My instructor was Jean Francois and I shared this as my main goal. After the first session, he tried to talk me out of my goal. That's how bad I was at first. He figured it would be easier just taking those turns in fourth and concentrating on the line. Surely my car has enough torque to pull me thru anyway. I convinced him I realy wanted to get this down and if I had to, I would slow everything down to focus on just turn 7 and 10a.

By the third session, I was hitting those turns right about half the time. Braking hard, clutch in, blip throttle hard, and let the clutch out right after blip while still braking so the car didn't lunge. The prople was the other half the time I would either not blip enough, or focus so much on the braking, I would let the clutch out after the braking zone and during my turn. As you can imagine, this was a very very bad thing. I almost spun a couple times when I downshifted in the turn.

During the fourth session, I hit nirvana. It finally came together, full throttle straight into full out brake, blip and downshift, turn hard and squeeze that gas. I can't tell you how giddy I'm feeling now that I'm hanging these nasty turns like this. Especially turn 7. That turn is critical because it leads into the longest passing straight. With this technique in hand, when I was following someone, I would be able to go deep into 7, turn and gas in the lower gear. I could actually get right beside them, be full throttle feeling lots of torque before the end of the turn. Funny thing is that sometimes the other car wouldn't even realize what happened or that I was even around and I wouldn't get the point by. So I had to back off until they realized what was going on. I can only imagine what they thought when they caught on. My instructor was having a blast too, as he realized that turn went from my worst turn to my best turn in one day.

My instructor was great. Constant feedback. Too late, too early, hit your apex, get your line, blip it hard so it roars like a lion. We tried many lines with different gears thru the course and got much faster each session. Your instructors can save you days of seattime if they work with you like this. I left Saturday feeling really good. Nobody had passed my on any session. Sunday was a bit of a wake up call.

2nd lap of the day on Sunday, I'm wanting to get back to what I was doing the day before. My line already wasn't embedded in my head, and the heel toe wasn't working well either. I completely blew it in turn 3. I came in really hot off the straight, full throttle thru one, and went to downshift while braking at turn 2 getting ready for the hard right turn at three and didn't let the clutch out till I already turned in. When 3rd grabbed, it whipped me around so quick. Ended up in the grass, right by a real wall. No damage, except to my head. Geeze, I'm not invincible any more. Already we had seen a number of cars totalled from the walls at this event. It was pretty hard to do anything fast after that.

Next session out my legs were honestly still shaking a bit. I was just going to go back to focusing on my line again. Also decided not to downshift for turn 3. Very first lap, they are pointing that furled black flag at me like a mad dog. Great, were going in. Niether me or my instructor new what it was for. Turns out that Sunday before noon they have a noise restriction and my car screams now that I've redone my exhaust. He tells my I can either pit, or continue but keep it down. So a whole session pussyfooting around the track trying to figure out which station monitors the sound. I was pretty frustrated. I must have pointed 20 cars by that session. So, a wake up call, then a humbling in back to back sessions. Looking back, my legs were still shaking from the spin, so it was all good. We learned a new line for turn 3 in that wimpy session. There was a Nissan GTR in my group that took me in the front straight and we watched him take turn 3 by going about 3 feet onto the right gators. He just eliminated that turn almost completely. We talked about that for the whole lap and tried it while going slow. Couldn't believe how little you felt that gator even though you were right on it. Ok, stay in fourth and tame that nasy turn 3 by cutting it off!

Third session was again one of those nirvana runs. Put everything together. Better lines, heel - toe in turns 7 and 10a, it was just sweet.

Final session I got to go out solo. I must admit I started in the "I just want to drive my car home mode". I'm thinking how its so lonely in here without an instructor. Took a couple laps with really clean lines and was hitting my downshift just like the last session, so it was on. That GTR was in front of me and I had been wanting to be by him for two days. We parked our cars right next to each other and had been exchanging smack all that time. Come on, it was a 68k car. Those are the best one to take it too. Nothing better than passing a viper, or ferrari. It just makes you smile. So there I am seeing the red mist and at the same time, reminding myself how lonely I was without my instructor. Now isn't the time to screw up. To top that off turn 7 was getting really slick. I could no long park it and sligshot out, it became more of a drift. Anyway, I tried for 6 laps with him in my sight but that GTR is just too much car. I finally gave up when I heard my rotor crack going over the hump in straight 9. I had upgraded my pads from Hawk HP+ to Hawk DTC70's , so I guess Road Atlanta plus the new pads were just too much for my rotors.

On the way home I thinking how Road Atlanta kinda made Roebling Road feel like a baby track. The challenges of really driving this track are so great. It feels so good get the techniques down, and to also conquer the many fears that were eating me up. No blind turns at Roebling. Blind turns are really really scary at first.

Then the wife and I are talking about the experience and she says, " I still like Roebling better because I can see the whole track so easy". Ok honey, if you say so. Wherever she is willing to go with me to, I'm going there. So I'll see you at Roebling in November again. I promise you, I wont be the same driver though

Last edited by kwhiteside; 06-14-2009 at 09:52 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:49 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Nice write up. It was a great weekend. Hate that I missed you. I usually stay in my little shell at the track, but I actually got around to meeting a lot of Corvette guys this weekend. I started reading this thinking 'where was this guy' since I don't remember seeing you, but after seeing your signature pic it all makes sense. There was another guy there named Lee with a yellow Z with a black rear fascia. I was wondering how he got so much track time.
See you next time.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:08 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

How did your oil temps do with the different oil?
Old 06-15-2009, 12:52 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by waddisme
How did your oil temps do with the different oil?
I know you weren't asking me, but I thought about you when mine hit 285* Saturday. That's the highest I've seen with my cooler. I continued to beat the snot out of it to see how high it would go, but that was it. I was ok with it.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:49 AM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

Default Mobile1 15w50 Gold Cap Experiment

As to the oil temps, 2 weeks ago with Chin I hit 293 so a change was needed. I decided to try the Mobile1 15w50 with a 1200 phosphorus count and zinc or lead or whatever else magic stuff to help it handle the heat.

I was surprised to see the temps quickly climb to mid 280's. So I altered my driving style just a bit. I took the straight after 7 in fifth gear to keep the rpms down. Lets face it, the straights just aren't that important, save your car. Besides, I didn't have it in me to go faster than 140's heading down 9 into turn 10a. Maybe next time

The good news about the oil, another total surprise, is that I didn't use ANY oil. I had been using a quart a day. My car also suffers from the 2001Z06 ring flutter problem where it puffs smoke on decel after a hard straight. Nobody mentioned it for the two days. Only thing I got talked to about on the straigh was too much noise and a stinkin black flag sunday morning . I'll have an oil cooler before my next event.

The fun was from the challenge of the track, and my personal instructor pushing me hard to do it right. I didn't get the same commradorie feeling with NASA that I feel with Chin, so maybe I was just so insignificant nobody offered to comment. I do realize that NASA is a different arrangement. Those guys were really racing out there , I wont even hit the core radar of that group for a couple years, if ever. I did go up the infield to watch my instructor run a TT and saw that black #27 out there and knew it was sperkins. I saw the other vette like mine too. I parked under the shade trees over by the instructor classroom. I knew heat would be a problem for both me and my car, so I chose practical over sociable. It was at least 10 degrees cooler over the at all times.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:25 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

My instructor was Jean Francois and I shared this as my main goal. After the first session, he tried to talk me out of my goal. That's how bad I was at first. He figured it would be easier just taking those turns in fourth and concentrating on the line. Surely my car has enough torque to pull me thru anyway. I convinced him I realy wanted to get this down and if I had to, I would slow everything down to focus on just turn 7 and 10a.
THAT is a GREAT instructor.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:22 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

I saw your car parked under the ttree. Sorry didn't have a chance to say 'hey', we where ripping the console and shifter out of my car Sunday morning. Glad to hear you had a good weekend. Hope to see you at more events.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:06 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

The shade parking was the only good move I did all day 2 weeks ago!

As for 285*, I would be happy with that once I get on synthetics. I am trashing the home made shroud and putting a stock one on to see if that helps with air flow and sealing. Fortunately, there are plenty of sc guys who need to clear space in garage!

Besides, I didn't have it in me to go faster than 140's heading down 9 into turn 10a. Maybe next time

My car was not very stable thru there anytime I was above 140. I found a good deal on some Pfadt Sport shocks, so hopefully that will help some.

Glad you all had a good time.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:16 AM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

The shade parking was the only good move I did all day 2 weeks ago!

As for 285*, I would be happy with that once I get on synthetics. I am trashing the home made shroud and putting a stock one on to see if that helps with air flow and sealing. Fortunately, there are plenty of sc guys who need to clear space in garage!

Besides, I didn't have it in me to go faster than 140's heading down 9 into turn 10a. Maybe next time

My car was not very stable thru there anytime I was above 140. I found a good deal on some Pfadt Sport shocks, so hopefully that will help some.

Glad you all had a good time.
Now that you mention it, my car has 80k on it and I'm sure the shocks are original. I just can't make a decision on this one. I've held off speding $400-500 on new GM2004z06 or lower end Bilsteins because of those Pfadt Coilovers always looming into the discussion for about $1500. My nature is to get the best. My instructor hit me with the engineered solution for these Vettes are so good, why would anybody mess with Coilovers, its a waste of money. So back to the indecision.

It is the little bounce on landing that downhill with the added slight dogleg right that scares me at that speed. I don't feel stable for a slight second and that makes me tend to make a jerk upon landing. I have the same tendancy, but much much greater after the blind in 12. For 12 I'm simply not going as fast though. Are you feeling what I have described? Would shocks help the situation there?

Ken . . .
Old 06-15-2009, 09:42 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I was debating whether or not the Pfadts were worth the extra $250. A lot of people really like the Bilsteins and they seem to be a good value, but I dd mine any day it doesn't rain so I thought the adjustablity would help. I could never see myself going to coilovers so that was not an option, actually I can't even see myself doing track tires (yet) so the Pfadts seems like a good choice for me.

Turn 9 for me seemed to be more like the Active Handling kicking in, but I don't remember seeing it display on the DIC. Too much steering input required for me to be comfortable. Last session I reduced air pressure by 2 lbs all around and it seemed to help some, but it still didn't feel planted. It is all work in progress for me.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:23 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Never thought about that, but that seems like a good idea. I have practiced getting my ext with my helmet on (it is located on harness bar). Might have to add to my checklist.

FWIW, the only incident I ever had was at RA trying to do heel-to-toe at 10a after passing about seven cars when I had the supercharger. Looped it around and ended up facing the wrong way but out of the racing line. But I did get to face all the people I had just passed!
Old 06-15-2009, 10:47 AM
ZO6NTHEWIND
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Great write up!

I just happen to be in the area with my (semi) truck and I spent the weekend there taking pictures.

Later,
Old 06-15-2009, 10:51 AM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

FedEx truck?
Old 06-15-2009, 12:53 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

FWIW, the only incident I ever had was at RA trying to do heel-to-toe at 10a after passing about seven cars when I had the supercharger. Looped it around and ended up facing the wrong way but out of the racing line. But I did get to face all the people I had just passed!
I had my first big oops this weekend and it was also at 10B. Watching the video I can say 100% that I must not have been focused because I wasn't carrying much speed since I was behind a spec E30 type car. I turned in way late for some reason, rear end kicked around, caught it and when the weight went back on the left side it went around. I never actually looped it though. Video to follow.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:14 PM
yardman
Advanced

Originally Posted by ZO6NTHEWIND
Great write up!

I just happen to be in the area with my (semi) truck and I spent the weekend there taking pictures.

Later,
Thanks for bringing the pic by sunday, I'll be hanging it in my office this week. Seen you at the bridge during my last session, did you get any more?
Old 06-15-2009, 10:19 PM
ZO6NTHEWIND
Racer

Originally Posted by Jason
FedEx truck?
Yeep!
Old 06-15-2009, 10:21 PM
ZO6NTHEWIND
Racer

Originally Posted by yardman
Thanks for bringing the pic by sunday, I'll be hanging it in my office this week. Seen you at the bridge during my last session, did you get any more?
Not for sure, I'm still sorting. I think I got a couple good ones of Billie in that BMW.......

Later,

Get notified of new replies

To Road Atlanta, time of my life

Old 06-17-2009, 04:47 PM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by sperkins
Video to follow.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:40 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Jason
Sorry. I'm at the beach on a short vacation with the family at the moment. It's a pain to convert my videos to a useful format so I can upload it to the web, but I'll get it done as soon as possible. So far I've only had a chance to upload this video of me and the rabbit.

Enjoy.

Last edited by sperkins; 06-18-2009 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:26 AM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

Great vid, brought it all back. You make it look so easy. Although I did notice everytime you got within striking range, your grip got a lot tighter as you pushed the limit. I gotta work on relaxing.

I noticed you downshifted in 6 where I downshift in 7. Do you redline thru 6 like that?

Quick Reply: Road Atlanta, time of my life