Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daytona HPDE Dec 4-5-6 with Audi

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 10:08 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Default Daytona HPDE Dec 4-5-6 with Audi

Want to run DAYTONA?

Registration is open for the 3-day Audi HPDE that will be held December 4-6 this year.

You'll be running the 3.56 mile Rolex 24 course:

You run the "NASCAR way", i.e. counterclockwise.

This year the registration is online through this website:

http://www.clubregistration.net

After you register for an account, go to the "Events" page. There are 3 pull-down windows, but you only have to click on the first one (Organization) and select "Audi Club" (leave the "Club" and "Event Type" selected to "All") and hit "continue" (under the "options") and it will show you the Daytona event.

There are 3 tabs on that page. You'll initially be on the "Event Info" page, but you can select "Entry Fees" and "Event Options".

Unfortunately the fee has gone up this year. If you're an instructor it will cost you $599 and if you're just driving in one of the run groups it is $1199 this year. There is no option to attend for only 1 or 2 days.

It costs the Audi Club $35,000/day to rent the track!!! I saw a recent post about a one day Hooked On Driving event at Road America that was $375 for a one day event, so this $400 per day for running Daytona is high but not out of line. You get a good amount of track time for your track rental fee - you should get four 30 minute sessions per day for a total of about 6 hours on the track over the 3 days. And, hey....it's DAYTONA!!!

Under the "Event Options" tab you'll see that you can rent garage space for $200 for the event. You can probably share a garage to store 2 Corvettes in one garage space for overnight storage, but when working on the cars between sessions it would be difficult to fit both cars in one garage and you would be shuffling them in and out if you're in different run groups.

This event sponsored by the Audi Club was first run at Daytona in Dec 2007. It was the very first event that allowed any driver without some type of race license to run this track. Last year there was one other HPDE run around Halloween that also allowed non-competitively licensed drivers to run, but I ran that 2-day event and it had fewer sessions per day of shorter length, and there were also racing groups running between the student run groups and they often ran over and shortened the student sessions.

So....this Audi event is expensive, but it's a great event and run in an excellent manner by their administrative team.

Below is a video of a couple laps around the track in my '06 Z06 from the event last December so you can see what to expect.

Hope to see many of you there!

Bob

Click on "youtube" in the bottom right of the screen above or CLICK HERE if you want to go to the video on youtube to be able to select a full-screen view

Last edited by BEZ06; 06-13-2009 at 10:10 AM.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:46 AM
Ojustracing
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rudy Arias allowed me to drive Daytona during this Yrs One Lap race. Had a Blast is an under statement. Its one of those tracks that was on my "Must Drive List". The high banks take a little getting used too. To avoid the start of motion sickness I had to squat down in the seat and look left to see the track. Track Video kinda tames how steep the track really is. Rough Yup!! Fast too!!!!

John
Old 06-13-2009, 06:59 PM
Don O.
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Daytona

Thanks Bob, I will register this week. What type of camera and telemetry are you using? I need to get a new set up.

Do you think they will let us garage the Vettes together in one garage this year?

Don
Old 06-13-2009, 07:05 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

My goal for the year is to do this. I am hoping to get my trailer in the next month, Accusump on this month, cooling issues settled over the fall, and DAYTONA in Dec.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:04 AM
BennyBad
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

thanks for the info bob have been waiting for you to post it. im going to post this over on the VCA .

thanks
Old 06-14-2009, 11:02 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Don O.
Thanks Bob, I will register this week. What type of camera and telemetry are you using? I need to get a new set up.

Do you think they will let us garage the Vettes together in one garage this year?

Don
Hi Don

I've got a Traqmate data-logger and ChaseCam for video. The Traqmate is a really great piece of gear. The info you get on your computer gives a lot of info for analyzing your track sessions.

That video with the "dashboard" overlay was made with Traqmate's TraqStudio software. You can use any video cam for your video source. However, if you have a ChaseCam, Traqmate makes the data and video integration completely automatic - just turn on your Traqmate before a session and it turns on your ChaseCam and synchronizes the data and video automatically.

There is also another similar software made by TrackVision that will do the same thing with data from acquisition devices made by many different companies.

As far as the garages, I didn't know there was a restriction on more than one car in a garage. I know when I went to the PBOC event last year they assigned 2 cars per garage. It wasn't very convenient shuffling them in and out when the garage mates were in different run groups, but it allowed you to get both cars under cover for overnight storage - although we had to angle one car in to get the door closed.

Bob
Old 06-14-2009, 11:15 AM
Don O.
Pro

Default Daytona

Bob thanks for the info. To clarify about the garage space I was referring to the entire (or part of the blue garage) for the Vettes. It would be nice to have the Vettes together. I agree sharing a space would be tight.

Don
Old 06-14-2009, 11:40 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Don O.
Bob thanks for the info. To clarify about the garage space I was referring to the entire (or part of the blue garage) for the Vettes. It would be nice to have the Vettes together. I agree sharing a space would be tight.

Don
Oh - I see what you mean!!

I'll email Dave Pierson (the Audi club rep who is organizing the event) and ask him if it would be possible to get the Vettes all in the same area.

Bob
Old 06-15-2009, 12:46 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

That would be awesome...
Old 06-16-2009, 11:47 AM
Red Gump
Race Director

whoah! great vid! is it possible to register as a passenger? I'm not thinking I'll have the time or funds to participate as a driver but I really want to race there in the future and would like to ride the track beforehand. does 175 feel fast or is it just going-through-the-motions sort of driving?
Old 06-16-2009, 07:36 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Red Gump
whoah! great vid! is it possible to register as a passenger? I'm not thinking I'll have the time or funds to participate as a driver but I really want to race there in the future and would like to ride the track beforehand. does 175 feel fast or is it just going-through-the-motions sort of driving?
Anybody can come and watch the event. You can just drive into the infield, park, and wander around the garage area to look at all the great cars and bs with all of us running the event.

I had some friends come last year and one got a ride. Only instructors can take passengers, and I think my friend was able to ride because he was a member of the Audi Club of N. America so he came under their insurance for the event.

You should definitely come on up for one day of the event and we'll see if we can score you a ride.

As far as 175 mph, I'm just a rookie track guy, but our cars are so well engineered to do that kind of speed that it's pretty much like driving down the highway. The track is also built for that kind of speed (although, like Ojustracing said, it's pretty bumpy up on the high-banked sections) so it really doesn't seem out of place at all to be going that fast.

I watch NASCAR racing, but I've always been a much bigger fan of roadracing with turning both ways. Butt.....I must say that I get pretty focused when doing 150+ up on the 31 degree banking and am passing another car doing only 140 or so. There's a pretty good amount of room between the car on one side and the wall on the other, but it gives you a whole new respect for those NASCAR guys going around there 3 abreast at 185+!!!

My car is a basically stock C6Z (Halltech Killer Bee and tune, and I was on Hoosiers last year). A stock C6 or a C5 might not make quite the speed I was getting.

Come on up for a day and you'll enjoy just seeing the action, and hopefully we can get you a ride. However, it will just get you stoked to run it yourself in your own car!

Bob
Old 07-27-2009, 07:43 PM
Don O.
Pro

Default Daytona

Come on guys, we need more Corvettes to sign up!

Don
Old 07-29-2009, 08:33 PM
thnkfast
Advanced

love the nomex gloves man, I never thought of that.

Last edited by thnkfast; 07-29-2009 at 08:37 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:46 PM
thnkfast
Advanced

How fast do the run groups fill up? It's going to take some time to convince the wife that this is money well spent......she's not fallin' for the "it will be my Christmas present" thing.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:58 PM
mcar00
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Anybody ever run a C6 Z counterclockwise on the banking (real fast) without a larger capacity oil tank? This has to be the definition of a long high G left hand turn. Would be an interesting data point for all the theorists on bearing failure and oiling issues.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:59 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Yeah, I think I'm faster with my gub'mint nomex gloves on!! They really are quite comfortable.

Originally Posted by thnkfast
How fast do the run groups fill up? It's going to take some time to convince the wife that this is money well spent......she's not fallin' for the "it will be my Christmas present" thing.
I don't know. This is the first year they've used that registration site instead of just doing it through their own club administration. I think in the past that there was a $50 late fee for registering inside 30 days of the event, but I don't see anything about that on the registration site.

I think I had a neighbor that registered about a week prior to the event last year.

Here's another alternative to consider. There's another event at Daytona on Oct 23-25 put on by PBOC:

http://pbocflorida.com

Their site is kinda hard to navigate around and find info, but here's what it says about the event:

Daytona Speed Fest
Daytona International Speedway 10/23/2009 - 10/25/2009
Description : PBOC Motorsports Races and Drivers Education at historic Daytona International Speedway in Daytona Beach Fl. This is a three-day event on the Rolex 24 hour course.

DRIVERS EDUCATION VENUES:

...SOLO DRIVERS:

Lapping Days for qualified Solo, Super Solo drivers and Instructors are available on Friday. Cost for Friday only is $325. Solo entry for Sat/Sunday is $600. Solo Laping for Friday and Saturday Only is $600. A three-day package rate for Solo drivers is available for $850.

...INSTRUCTORS:

Instructor Lapping on Friday is $325. (There is no instruction on Friday) The Instructor Entry for Sat/Sunday is $150. A three day package for Instructors including Friday Lapping Day and S/S instructing is available for $425.

...SUPER SOLO:

The PBOC Super Solo run group is available at this event . Super Solo drivers please register as an Instructor or Solo driver, whichever is appropriate. If you are interested in becoming a Super Solo driver, please contact us.

...DRIVERS EDUCATION:

Drivers Education for Intermediate and Advanced Students ONLY on Saturday and Sunday is available for $600. No Novice students in DE for this event only.

Convertibles: BMW Z3 with fixed rollover protection, the Z4, Porsche Boxster and the Mini Cooper are ok. ALL OTHERS must call for approval. If you run with the top down, you MUST use arm restraints. No SUV’s in DE.

RACING VENUES:

Friday 23 there will be a 2 HOUR Enduro Race with 30 min Practice and Qualifying sessions prior to the race. Cost for the Friday only race is $450.

Saturday-Sunday October 24-25 there will be one 30-minute and one 20 minute Sprint race each day with a 30-minute Qualifying Session. Cost for Sat/Sun four Sprint Races is $800. A one day race entry for is $425. A 3-day Race package for F/S/S is $995.

LATE FEES:

After October 9, 2009 a $25 late registration fee will be assessed.

HOTEL SPECIAL RATE:

$70.99 at the QUALITY INN 2250 International Speedway Blvd , Daytona Beach FL 386-255-3661. A three night stay is required for this rate. PLEASE ask for Rita Patricia when booking and mention PBOC to get this rate.

Other hotels are: Ramada Inn Speedway 866-538-6276; Hampton Inn Speedway/Airport 386-257-4030; Courtyard Marriott 386-255-3391; Extended Stay Deluxe 866-538-6194.

CANCELLATION POLICY: (For This event Only)

Cancellations received by September 14 will be given full refund less a $25 process fee. Cancellations received by September 14 to October 16 will receive 50% credit for a future event. Cancellations after October 16 receive NO credit. All cancellations must be in writing. Sunshine Bimmer BMWCCA or PBOC Motorsports reserves the right to refuse any application.

Contact: Joanne Schwarzmann 407-804-0892 jschwarzmann@cfl.rr.com for questions or problems with registration.

I don't know what "Solo" or "Super Solo" drivers are, but it may be race licensed drivers or instructors that are not competing in the racing part of the event.

You can see that the "Driver Education" part of the event is only on Sat/Sun October 24th and 25th. It costs $600 for the 2-day DE part of the event. Also it says that they won't accept "novice" students for the DE at Daytona.

I went to it last year and didn't get a whole lot of time on the track. I think they ran about 3 sessions one day and 4 the next, and sessions were only 20 or 25 minutes. They were preceded by races, and several of the starts of our DE sessions were delayed because somebody had gone off during the race and emergency vehicles were towing guys in and cleaning up the track.

Anyway, it's cheaper than the Audi event. My wife is planning something for October, but I hope it's early enough so I can make this event. Even though it's only 1/2 the price of the Audi event, I'm almost certain that I won't get 1/2 the seat time I'll get at the Audi event in December.

Bob
Old 07-29-2009, 10:35 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mcar00
Anybody ever run a C6 Z counterclockwise on the banking (real fast) without a larger capacity oil tank? This has to be the definition of a long high G left hand turn. Would be an interesting data point for all the theorists on bearing failure and oiling issues.
I've run 3 events there in my 2006 Z06. One was a 2-day event, and the other 2 were 3-day events. Between those 8 days at Daytona I've got around 14 to 15 hours of hard running there - all with the stock 2006 tank.

I've got a Traqmate, but I don't have it logging oil pressure yet. It does log G-loads, and when I'm bumping around up on the banking in a 150-155 mph left turn, the G-load bounces around from about 0.6 to 1.0 (you can see the Gs displayed on the video in the first post). You are sustaining the left turn for a long period of time, but I don't think I've hit Dreamin's magic numbers for creating a problem - at least I haven't experienced any problems (that I know of! ) in my car.

I've been running Hoosier R6 tires the last 2 events. Perhaps if you're running racing slicks and have a modified car that could hold 165 plus around the banking you'd start having problems. The 31 degree banking may reduce the lateral G-load from what Dreamin was experiencing (I don't know what the banking was for the turns where he was having problems).

Anyway.....I've got considerable time in left turns at fairly high speed up on the banking, and I haven't seen any problems in my car.

Bob
Old 07-30-2009, 07:43 PM
mcar00
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
I've run 3 events there in my 2006 Z06. One was a 2-day event, and the other 2 were 3-day events. Between those 8 days at Daytona I've got around 14 to 15 hours of hard running there - all with the stock 2006 tank.

I've got a Traqmate, but I don't have it logging oil pressure yet. It does log G-loads, and when I'm bumping around up on the banking in a 150-155 mph left turn, the G-load bounces around from about 0.6 to 1.0 (you can see the Gs displayed on the video in the first post). You are sustaining the left turn for a long period of time, but I don't think I've hit Dreamin's magic numbers for creating a problem - at least I haven't experienced any problems (that I know of! ) in my car.

I've been running Hoosier R6 tires the last 2 events. Perhaps if you're running racing slicks and have a modified car that could hold 165 plus around the banking you'd start having problems. The 31 degree banking may reduce the lateral G-load from what Dreamin was experiencing (I don't know what the banking was for the turns where he was having problems).

Anyway.....I've got considerable time in left turns at fairly high speed up on the banking, and I haven't seen any problems in my car.

Bob
Thanks for the info Bob. Now if you could do just one more thing for me??????????? When you go, slap on the R6's and keep that gas pedal matted around the entire left hand section. If you drive home I'll sign up for next year! Just kidding. Well partially. I've always wondered what would happen at that track under those conditions. Please let us know how it goes and most importantly have a blast!
Old 07-30-2009, 10:41 PM
thnkfast
Advanced

Thanks for the info.....I'd love to try to hit one of these events.

Get notified of new replies

To Daytona HPDE Dec 4-5-6 with Audi

Quick Reply: Daytona HPDE Dec 4-5-6 with Audi