Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM Webchat -- 3 p.m Today

Old 06-10-2009, 02:17 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Default GM Webchat -- 3 p.m Today

FYI

I got that notice too, should be interesting

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 10:17 am
Subject: GM Webchat -- 3 p.m Today

Good morning --

Sorry for the late notice, but I just learned that GM will be having a webchat today at 3 p.m. EDT. You're invited to join general manager of GM's Chevrolet division Ed Peper for the discussion and submit your questions about Chevrolet. Ed will spend an hour online answering them.

Here is the site http://fastlane.gmblogs.com/. I understand GM will be doing more of these in the future and will keep you posted.

Best regards,
Amanda
Old 06-10-2009, 03:05 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

I got a question answered

[Comment From Brian ]
Why not just keep the cars people like and sell them all under one GM name brand?
15:03
Ed Peper: Consumers don't buy "GMs," they buy Chevrolets, Buicks, GMCs and Cadillacs. At Chevrolet we have an admired and trusted brand that means alot to our customers. We have millions of loyal customers out there.
seems to be a lot of Corvette people on there.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:04 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Here's what transpired

Ed Peper - Chevrolet Live Webchat

14:56
Adam Denison: Welcome everyone -- Ed will be here in just a few minutes. Please stand by, and we'll get started. Get your questions ready!
14:59
Ed Peper: Welcome everyone. This is my first Web chat. I'm looking forward to it.
15:00
[Comment From Buzz ]
I bought an 09 vette in March before the government backed guarantee came out. Will my car qualify?
15:01
Ed Peper: It is not government backed, but it is backed by GM and we are open for business. Paying warranty claims everyday.
[Comment From Guest ]
Will any Pontiacs (G6, G8 Solstice ect) be rebadged as Chevy?
Ed Peper: No.
15:02
[Comment From Brian ]
Why not just keep the cars people like and sell them all under one GM name brand?
Ed Peper: Consumers don't buy "GMs," they buy Chevrolets, Buicks, GMCs and Cadillacs. At Chevrolet we have an admired and trusted brand that means alot to our customers. We have millions of loyal customers out there.
[Comment From Wayne]
Any info on Corvette's C7 development?
Ed Peper: Nothing to report at this time.
15:04
[Comment From Wayne]
The new Camaro SS has an outstanding powertrain...
15:05
Ed Peper: Thank you! We are so pleased with the reception Camaro has received in the marketplace. We have nearly 23,000 sold orders since the start of production.
15:05
Expand
15:06
[Comment From Michael Sheena]
You have the position of being in charge of GM’s powerhouse division. Your model range is comprehensive and continues to mature. With fewer divisions, Chevrolet only grows further in importance. In a way, its almost an embarrassment of riches for some dealers trying to remain on top of a constant onslaught of product and additional traffic due to dealer consolidation. What sort of initiatives is Chevrolet planning for its dealer body to cope with all the changes happening at the division?
15:08
Ed Peper: Thanks for your comments, Michael. As you know, we are reducing the number of dealers that we have in an effort to make the remaining dealer network stronger. A big part of our sucess going forward even more will be to embrace our customers and make them feel like they really joined our brand. Their advocacy will matter. We want to make the sales and service experience at a Chevy dealer the best in the industry.
15:08
[Comment From brian watters]
Is Chevrolet pulling out of Nascar?
15:10
Ed Peper: Chevrolet is not pulling out of NASCAR because it gives us an opportunity to market to millions of our customers. It helps us sell cars and trucks. Our affiliation with NASCAR will change, and we will continue to reduce costs associated with the sport to drive a higher return for the company.
15:10
[Comment From Guest]
With GM shrinking to four brands, how much broader could the Chevy portfolio become in the next several years? James Amend, Ward's
15:12
Ed Peper: Chevrolet will play in virtually every major segment in the industry. When you add Spark, Orlando and Volt to the mix we will play in almost every non-luxury segment in the marketplace. No manufacturer will have as wide a portfolio as Chevrolet.
15:13
[Comment From Gary Clark]
What changes are planned for marketing? - specifically getting the word out about top of segment fuel economy, etc. It (IMHO) has been done poorly at best up til now.
15:15
Ed Peper: Gary, we have been actively promoting our fuel economy in several marketing and advertising executions: from "Gas-friendly to Gas-free," to the fuel economy of our brands, etc. You're going to hear alot more about it with the Equinox launch as we tout segment-leading fuel economy (EPA estimated 32 hwy mpg) and a highway driving range of up to 600 miles based on the rating and tank size.
15:15
[Comment From guest]
we just built the 1.5 millionth Corvette. How will we keep a performance car like this from disappearing with the current eco political climate.
15:17
Ed Peper: Corvette is an incredible sports car and a marquis brand for GM and Chevrolet. We just announced Corvette Grand Sport pricing today, and it gets and EPA-estimated 26 hwy mpg. This brand has a very loyal customer following. There are no plans to change Corvette at this time.
15:18
[Comment From Ellen]
When will we see the Camaro convertible?
Ed Peper: Q1 of the 2011 calendar year.
[Comment From Paul]
Is there any chance for a Cruze with the turbo inline-4 LNF within the first two or three years of release?
Ed Peper: Paul, we are going to have a turbo cylinder that we expect will get an estimated 40 highway mpg.
15:19
[Comment From Jim]
what is the future of racing for the new GM?
15:20
Ed Peper: GM and Chevrolet participate in racing because we sell cars and trucks and make a strong return on investment for the company. We are continuing to cut expenses, racing series, etc. to improve ROI even further.
[Comment From Barry]
Eddie - Had the opportunity to drive the SS Camaro - HOMERUN. Any insight into when we can see a convertible.
Ed Peper: Barry, I answered the convertible question a moment ago (see above). Thanks!
15:21
[Comment From Paul]
I always hear in the media "build cars that americans want to buy"
15:23
Ed Peper: This is a major misperception that many Americans and the media have about our products and company. At Chevrolet, we have launched some of the finest products in the industry in their respective segments the past few years. Silverado is America's best truck. Malibu is America's best mid-size car. Traverse is America's best mids-size crossover. Camaro has nearly 23,000 retail sold orders and sold 5,500 units in its first month. And now we're launching Equinox which will be the absolute best compact crossover in the market by far.
[Comment From Guest]
Will Chevy sell a rear wheel drive Police Car (Not Tahoe)
Ed Peper: There are no plans at this point to do that.
[Comment From Guest]
Can you still order a Camaro?
15:24
Ed Peper: Yes! Give us your phone number and we'll take your order today! Send Adam Denison an e-mail. adam.denison@gm.com
15:24
[Comment From David Kiley]
is the saturn vue coming to chevy?
15:25
Ed Peper: David, I'm honored to have you on this chat today. No, the Saturn Vue is not coming to Chevy. We have the Equinox, which is an awesome vehicle.
[Comment From Mike Earnest]
I love to drive an SUV, will Chevrolet stop producing the large Tahoe?
Ed Peper: No. There are no plans to stop producing a large Tahoe at this point. It is one of our most valuable brands.
15:28
[Comment From Floridamale]
With GM being government owned what is being done to make certain it dose not become the automotive equivalent of Am track
15:29
Ed Peper: At GM and Chevrolet we are committed to reinventing our company to very successful going forward. We are offering the best products we have ever offered, including game-changing vehicles like the Volt. We have great and loyal customers who love these products. We got a fresh start and we intend to capitalize on it.
15:29
[Comment From Steve R]
How many "guest" are viewing this web cast?
15:30
Ed Peper: 208 right now.
15:30
[Comment From Morrris J. Newhouse]
With fewer dealers, is service going to suffer?
15:31
Ed Peper: Despite a reduction in our dealer count, Chevrolet still has the widest network of any brand in the industry. We look forward to continuing to provide great service to our customers.
15:31
[Comment From trevor tietz]
Do you really see a return from Nascar? It seems you could get a much better bang for the buck somewhere else. Driver's moving around. I am a big fan of Nascar but was disappointed to see Toyota win so many times on our turf. It looks like a bigger bonus for Toyota. On a side note my kids baseball team is looking for a sponsor if you want to divert some money
15:33
Ed Peper: We are the winningest name manufactuere in NASCAR and we sell more cars and trucks with that sport than any other promotion at GM. Toyota won some races at the beginning of last year, but we caught up to and best them by the end of the year. Chevy has won seven of the last eight NASCAR races. Toyota wanted to use their sponsorship to sell pickup trucks. It's obvious that was a failed strategy.
15:33
[Comment From Sheth]
Will navigation and other features be added to Camaro in the short term? I once read that nav would be available late this year.
15:34
Ed Peper: Sheth, thanks for your question. The answer to that one is no. In all the research that we did with Camaro customers and prospects, a navigation screen was not high on their list. Camaro owners know where they're going and they want to get their fast so they don't look at the nav screen!
15:35
[Comment From trevor tietz]
Has the Volt plug in cord been standardized? Can we plug it in any outlet?
15:35
Ed Peper: Yes. It will work in either a 110 or 220 outlet. Obviously, charging time is quicker with a 220 outlet.
15:36
[Comment From Dave]
Will Chevy be able to compete in the under $20k car market?
15:37
Ed Peper: The answer is yes. We've sold alot of Aveos and Cobalts over the years and are looking forward to the all new Cruze coming to market next April. Cruze will be a large small car (in between the size of a Cobalt and Malibu), and will have a turbo 4-cylinder engine that gets an estimated 40 mpg on the highway.
15:38
[Comment From Ronzoni Matteo]
how many equinox do you expect to sell?
15:38
Ed Peper: I won't comment on volume, but I will tell you our goal is to be consistently in the Top 3 in the segment. We know Equinox is the best compact crossover in the market today.
15:39
[Comment From Don Haller]
Rumors are that the plan for a Camaro Z28 have been postponed and worst case discontinued. Will we see a Z28?
Ed Peper: There are no plans for it right now.
[Comment From Guest]
Will Chevy still continue to produce trucks - or will GMC become the truck brand?
15:40
Ed Peper: Yes. We sell more trucks at retail than any other brand in the marketplace. We are not going to give up that position. Chevy and GMC have complemented each other beautifully in the marketplace.
15:41
[Comment From Guest]
Ed, I used to drive Camry. I just bought Malibu in Dec. 2008. I hope Malibu future trunk design to be as big as Impala or Camary. I also don't like to have a dip in the trunk. Lots of my groceries fall into the dip so that I have to use broom or a stick to get them out. Do you think we can change trunk design in future?
15:42
Ed Peper: I have not heard that before. The trunk opening will be bigger on the next generation Malibu. Remember that Malibu North American Car of the Year and has received numerous accolades from industry experts.
15:43
[Comment From Mike]
Why don't we use our GM history in advertizing? Like converting our plants to military operations durring world war II.
15:44
Ed Peper: We have done that successfully in the past, like we did in our very successful "This is Our Country" Silverado launch. What is important is Chevrolet is a brand that is more than just sheet metal. We have been there for our customers at all the important milestones of their lives. We're going to continue to do that as we look forward to the future.
15:45
[Comment From Mark]
(repost) Hi, Ed! Just read this blog post: http://www.nextautos.com/blog-chevro...src=Nextscreen . What do you think about a performance version of the Volt?
Ed Peper: I have not read the post yet, but I want to launch the production version of the Volt first; on time in November 2010.
[Comment From Joann]
What's my best strategy for keeping my sister interested in the brand? She's leased Impalas (and Luminas before that) for many years, but she's becoming a bit bored with them. Is Impala due for any major styling changes -- or should I just lead her toward another model? Thanks!
15:46
Ed Peper: Let's put her in a Malibu. She'll love it.
15:46
[Comment From James Russell]
Will there be a 2 door version of the Cruze offered to replace the Cobalt Coupe?
15:47
Ed Peper: No plans for it, but we do have Camaro available that's very hot and available right now.
[Comment From Jon Markee]
When do you plan to release the next generation Impala? Have you confirmed which platform it will be built on?
Ed Peper: Regarding the next gen Impala, stay tuned.
15:48
[Comment From Keith Wallin]
Has GM ever considered selling vehicles directly too the public? I have owned several GM products over the past 20 years and have never considered any other brand. My only problem with buying GM vehicles is the dealers. It seems that the dealers try to cheat you out of every dime they can get. Walk into a dealership without them knowing who you are and try too buy a vehicle, it is a nightmare. It seems as if its a game to the sales staff. Recently I was told by a salesmen, (Bob Hook Chevrolet) in Louisville, that I could always buy a Honda! What can GM do to make these dealers more buyer friendly?
15:49
Ed Peper: Thanks for your loyalty to GM. I realize the biggest way to reinvent will be to make our buyer experience (both sales and service) more enjoyable. Our competitors don't treat customers any better.
15:49
[Comment From Guest]
What's the advantage for Camro compared to Mustang? I want to have reasons for my son to buy Camro but not Mustang.
15:51
Ed Peper: There are many! It comes with independent rear suspension. It has a V6 engine that provides 304 hp and gets and EPA estimated 29 hwy mpg. Significantly better than Mustang. Camaro is better-looking than Mustang. Comes with standard year of OnStar so you know that your son is always protected by the Big Blue Button.
[Comment From Ricky]
y not rebadge the g8 as an impala?
Ed Peper: G8 is a great car, but no plans to make it an Impala.
15:52
[Comment From Ryan Groom]
Ed, I have had 13 GM cars in the past (11 were Pontiacs) I have a Camaro arriving any day. Can't wait. Keep up the great work!
Ed Peper: Ryan, thank you. We know you're going to love your new Camaro.
Ed Peper: No.
[Comment From brian watters]
Does the sale of Opel affect any of the future models for Chevrolet?
15:53
Ed Peper: We have time for one or two more questions.
15:54
[Comment From Trevor tietz]
Is Chevrolet involved with the new Transformer movie? If yes did you see it and was it good?
Ed Peper: We will have a larger involvement in this Transformers movie than we did the last one. We have Chevrolets that are part of this movie, including the return of Bumblebee.
[Comment From Frank T]
Is Chevrolet going to stay in the full size sedan business with the Impala?
Ed Peper: Yes.
15:57
[Comment From Chevy Fan]
Will the new Equinox be available with third row seating? My family (and many others) would like an affordable vehicle with seating for 6 or more people to replace our Uplander. The Traverse is real nice, but it is larger and more expensive than we need. The Impala with a bench seat would be good, but a child can't sit in the front seat, and the center front seat position is rather uncomfortable for an adult.
15:57
Ed Peper: Equinox is not available with third row seating, but you should try out the new Equinox. It has a ton of room.
15:58
[Comment From Don Haller]
Chrysler is currently selling vehicles at drastically reduced prices. Will Chevrolet do the same?
15:58
Ed Peper: No. We are here to stay.
15:59
Ed Peper: Thanks everyone for your participation. This was a real rush! The hour went by really quickly, and I hope I'm able to do it again. This is a pretty cool form of communication.
15:59
Old 06-10-2009, 06:38 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
I got a question answered

seems to be a lot of Corvette people on there.
I disagree with his statment 100 percent. My Grandpa was a Buick man until he past away. If there wasn't a Buick he would have made a swift shift to the Olds, GM or whatever else they would call it. People smart enough to own a Caddy knows it's a GM product. But I'm sure they have done way more studies on the subject then I.

Randy
Old 06-10-2009, 06:49 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

As a loyal GM buyer, I agree with Randy......I'd rather see a strong united GM, than several brands selling nearly identical products. I own a GMC Yukon, as I like the headlights better than the Chevrolet, but it is stupid that I even have a choice. Redundant products, redundant dealerships, redundant parts & service!
Old 06-10-2009, 07:01 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Should have ask him how many cars will they bring from China in the coming years to delete jobs from Americans after we bailed their butt out?

How stupid was it to say by 2012 we will be bringing (forgot number) huge number of cars from China.

I hope they have revised their plans after getting their butts reamed.

Also I would have liked to ask him why they don't say more about the horrible treatment US companies get in foreign countries. They all dump their crap here after making it near impossible to sell US products their from cars to corn.

I like to support GM but they sure do make some real dumb moves even right down to screwing Lou for what is pennies to them. Chrysler did way better supporting Vipers racing while GM shoot themselves in the foot at every opportunity.

I really think Ford will be bigger than GM in 5 years unless they use their brains and get rid of the brainless which they have many of.

Thanks for posting it was a good read.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:04 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
As a loyal GM buyer, I agree with Randy......I'd rather see a strong united GM, than several brands selling nearly identical products. I own a GMC Yukon, as I like the headlights better than the Chevrolet, but it is stupid that I even have a choice. Redundant products, redundant dealerships, redundant parts & service!
They need GMC like a hole in the wall. What is really different? Now the dumped the Medium duty trucks so it really is just Chevy from what I know. They never released which brand made what in dollars. I think when the gov. bailed them they told them any brand not making money is gone.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:19 PM
johninar
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting. It's good to see we have the same old GM... just with a bunch more of my money. So this is change huh?

Get notified of new replies

To GM Webchat -- 3 p.m Today

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GM Webchat -- 3 p.m Today