Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

As my kids say, "OMG"! (First HPDE)

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 02:07 PM
Torch Red 02
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default As my kids say, "OMG"! (First HPDE)

My wife and I were at Pocono (2.5 mi course) for two days last week in our 2002 coupe. WOW! What a rush! We shared the car, but still got enough track time (barely). We had outstanding instruction from the Northeast PA Corvette Club. What a hoot running the course with all that exotic muscle. We've been Autocrossing for three years... didn't know what we were missing. There was a light rain on the second day, but we still went out for more practice. For the last 45 minutes we had the track to ourselves (yes... we slowed down). We are amazed at what a modern (7 yr old) Corvette is capable of doing. We're hooked!
Old 06-03-2009, 02:22 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Well, good, Pete!
Now tell some of those CA folks that there's an (addictive) alternative to "drive and eat" !
DennyM
Old 06-03-2009, 03:23 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Torch Red 02
My wife and I were at Pocono (2.5 mi course) for two days last week in our 2002 coupe. WOW! What a rush! We shared the car, but still got enough track time (barely). We had outstanding instruction from the Northeast PA Corvette Club. What a hoot running the course with all that exotic muscle. We've been Autocrossing for three years... didn't know what we were missing. There was a light rain on the second day, but we still went out for more practice. For the last 45 minutes we had the track to ourselves (yes... we slowed down). We are amazed at what a modern (7 yr old) Corvette is capable of doing. We're hooked!
Hey, Torch, why don't you come to the National Corvette Museum HPDE at NJMP-Lightning track on July 20-21??

If you liked Pocono, I guarantee you will LOVE NJMP. You can get all the details and register here:

http://www.corvettemuseum.com/regist...infonjmp.shtml

Nice people, excellent track and first-rate instruction. Come play with us. PM me if you have any questions.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 06-03-2009, 03:45 PM
Torch Red 02
Instructor

Denny,

Ouch... but I note for the record that CA had 5 drivers at Pocono, and 12 drivers were Autocrossing last year. By the way - my wife started it all. She was the first club member to do driving events (according to recent memory).

By the way, at Pocono my instructor didn't cut me any slack. At the end of the first day his primary comment was, "Well, we're starting to make some progress"! Double ouch!... Seriously though, it was a great time, with excellent instruction.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:58 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj
Hey, Torch, why don't you come to the National Corvette Museum HPDE at NJMP-Lightning track on July 20-21??

If you liked Pocono, I guarantee you will LOVE NJMP. You can get all the details and register here:

http://www.corvettemuseum.com/regist...infonjmp.shtml

Nice people, excellent track and first-rate instruction. Come play with us. PM me if you have any questions.

Frank Gonzalez

Glad the two of you enjoyed yourselves
Old 06-03-2009, 04:20 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Denny,
Ouch... but I note for the record that CA had 5 drivers at Pocono, and 12 drivers were Autocrossing last year. By the way - my wife started it all. She was the first club member to do driving events (according to recent memory).
That's great!
My wife and I did our first school together at the CVCC school at Pocono in 2004.
LCCC - Oregon Dairy- LS AutoX June 14 ... great for car control skills ...
Now get them to NJMP as Frank suggested ... or at least to Summit for the NVCC Friday event in July ...
And anyone who will be holding a high speed license needs to commit to the NVCC "Spook" in early Oct ... it was WAY undersubscribed last year and NVCC took it in the ear ... need to have a full turnout!
Old 06-03-2009, 09:58 PM
Torch Red 02
Instructor

Denny - if I can get my column lock issue fixed we'll be at Oregon Dairy on the 14th. Also, found out at the club meeting tonight that my wife was the #7 Autocrosser in her class in ER in 2008. The bug has bit us. Now to check out more HPDE stuff!
Old 06-04-2009, 07:12 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Glad you had a great time, welcome aboard. JD
Old 06-04-2009, 12:18 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Welcome to the addiction!
Old 06-04-2009, 12:30 PM
Torch Red 02
Instructor

Thanks for the encouragement. I need to start looking for Corvette-centric or Corvette-friendly HPDE events in the mid-Atlantic area.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:28 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have taken your first step into a larger universe. Welcome!
Old 06-04-2009, 03:19 PM
Torch Red 02
Instructor

I will assume this is larger, MORE EXPENSIVE, universe. Looking forward to the day I'm not making college tuition payments!
Old 06-05-2009, 09:29 AM
willhaveC6
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the encouragement. I need to start looking for Corvette-centric or Corvette-friendly HPDE events in the mid-Atlantic area.
Connect with MazdaDrivers.com and check out their event at VIR over father's day weekend. I suspect they may be full but there will be lots of vettes 'up on the hill' and overall a great group to run with at a great track where you will really see what your 7 yr old vette will do.

Alternatively, they also run other events and I recommend them as an organizer.

Check out HOOKED ON DRIVING as well. Tons of track time but more advanced group with less instruction.

I miss it terribly!!!
Old 06-05-2009, 01:09 PM
Torch Red 02
Instructor

Thanks. That's what I'm looking for - some tips on how to get hooked up with events with a good Corvette contingent.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:15 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Good deal and good instruction - a progression from the Pocono school
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...7-10-09-a.html

Get notified of new replies

To As my kids say, "OMG"! (First HPDE)

Quick Reply: As my kids say, "OMG"! (First HPDE)