Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vids of my boosted Z06 @ Thunderbolt

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 10:42 AM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Vids of my boosted Z06 @ Thunderbolt

Did a Time Trial event with EMRA last Friday 5/29/09 on Thunderbolt @ NJMP.

Overall I'd say it was a good time with some good friends but I probably won't be running with EMRA ever again.
I wasn't impressed with the event they put on, how it was run, the serious lack of instructors or the fact that there was very little actual track time.

The good things is that the event only cost $115, which was $100 less then normal with their coupon.
Had I paid the full $215 price to get a total of about 35 min of track time I'd be pretty pissed.

On to the fun stuff....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW15u9hh41c

Thats a vid of my last "practice" session before the actual time trial. We didn't bother to stick around for the time trail. It would have been an extra hour of sitting around to take another 5 laps or so, not really worht it. Instead we decided to get a jump on Friday traffic and bounced outta there early. No idea what the fast times around Thunderbolt are but one of the guys who was watching in the tower with a stop watch said I was in the low 1:40's my last session.

Aside from splitting the OEM MAF in half from too much pressure the car held up very well! Luckly the car is SD tuned and only uses the MAF for an IAT reference.
Even with the MAF split wide open I was still able to run fine NA, just couldn't build any boost with a big *** leak.
Thanks to Ryan for switching MAF's with me that day so I could see some boost on my last session.

Other then that small issue the Carbotech pads never faded, motul fluid didn't boil and the 555RII's didn't get greasy.
Still don't have the oil cooler installed, it's sitting on the shelf in the garage, but the highest oil temps I was was 248 and coolant was as high as 223.
I wasn't pushing the car that hard though. I did the whole track in 4th gear but I really think this DeWitts rad is working well.

Can't wait for Lightning on the 19th w/PDA
Old 06-03-2009, 10:47 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Nice hearing about another boosted car out on the track

So, how did the belts hold up?
Old 06-03-2009, 11:08 AM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Thanks Brian. I haven't experienced any belt issues...
Old 06-03-2009, 12:08 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have also not had a good experience with EMRA. I think HPDE is something very new for them and they are more use to putting on race events, which are run completely different than HPDE. For a organization that is based on racing, they were EXTREMELY strict in their rules for HPDE to the point where I did not have fun at all.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:29 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Good stuff Marc, I need to download my footage, I have some good laps of me following you. Cant wait for the next event.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:00 PM
dcvee
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, awesome driving/car!! I'll have to search around and see your build information...or do you have a thread?

I'll be boosting my Vette...once I get one!!

Don
Old 06-04-2009, 11:58 AM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Thanks Nando, can't wait to see it. I'm sure you heard all the complements people were giving your driving skillz in the vid I sent you. Everyone says you're smooth... and as I'm sure you know smooth = fast.

Don, I don't have a build thread but if you search under my screen name you'll find a bunch of stuff I've done to the car to prepare for the road course (which isn't much but I work slow ).
Good luck with finding a vette! After seeing what you've done with that bimmer of yours, and how you handle it on course, I'm looking forward to seeing you behind the wheel of one of these cars.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:27 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AlwaysInBoost
Thanks Nando, can't wait to see it. I'm sure you heard all the complements people were giving your driving skillz in the vid I sent you. Everyone says you're smooth... and as I'm sure you know smooth = fast.

Don, I don't have a build thread but if you search under my screen name you'll find a bunch of stuff I've done to the car to prepare for the road course (which isn't much but I work slow ).
Good luck with finding a vette! After seeing what you've done with that bimmer of yours, and how you handle it on course, I'm looking forward to seeing you behind the wheel of one of these cars.
haha but next time Don will be on our team with a vette
Old 06-05-2009, 04:19 AM
dcvee
Instructor

Originally Posted by PA Z06
haha but next time Don will be on our team with a vette
Well I just got a vette!! Hehe, I'm excited. Only issue is it's in Indiana and I gotta go pick it up on Sunday. 02 Z06. High mileage but it has some nice track mods: heads, cam, exhaust, tune, coolers, etc....good base to work with. I'm gonna throw some C/O's on it and beat the snot out of it the rest of the summer!! Then we'll give it the once-over in the fall and prep for a turbo build.

I'll throw up a build thread once I get going.

AIB, I'll be searching for your "stuff". Talk to you guys soon!!

Don
Old 06-05-2009, 08:02 AM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

WTF took so long
Old 06-05-2009, 12:12 PM
dcvee
Instructor

Hey. It took FIFTEEN DAYS!!

I don't just rush into these things you know