Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First AX in the Z - quick question

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 08:46 PM
JChadwell
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default First AX in the Z - quick question

Hello everyone,

I participated in my first autocross in the new to me '04 Z06 this past weekend. It was an awesome, two-day airport event - very fast courses!

I cannot believe how strong these cars are bone stock. It does everything well. I previously ran a modified 1997 Cobra and thought it was a good autocrosser - worlds apart. Did pretty well to. Here's a link to the results. I'm number 3 in SS.

http://www.swvrscca.org/vb/showthread.php?t=1774

I do have a question I hope you all can help me with. During the event, on both days, I got intermittant "service active handling" messages. I've already done a search on this and found the persistant grounding issues. I'll check those the next chance I get but, to be honest, my scenario doesn't seem to fit. Specifically, I only got the messages when the car was very hot - 225 degrees or so coolant temps at the end of the run. When I did a better job keeping the temps down between runs and the temps were not as high at the end, no messages. No issues or messages at any other times on the street (before or since) either. Has this happened to anyone else? Should I be concerned? While I run autocrosses with the system off, I do want it functioning properly on the street.

Thanks in advance!

Jerry
Old 06-02-2009, 09:16 PM
96solo
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JChadwell
Hello everyone,

I participated in my first autocross in the new to me '04 Z06 this past weekend. It was an awesome, two-day airport event - very fast courses!

I cannot believe how strong these cars are bone stock. It does everything well. I previously ran a modified 1997 Cobra and thought it was a good autocrosser - worlds apart. Did pretty well to. Here's a link to the results. I'm number 3 in SS.

http://www.swvrscca.org/vb/showthread.php?t=1774

I do have a question I hope you all can help me with. During the event, on both days, I got intermittant "service active handling" messages. I've already done a search on this and found the persistant grounding issues. I'll check those the next chance I get but, to be honest, my scenario doesn't seem to fit. Specifically, I only got the messages when the car was very hot - 225 degrees or so coolant temps at the end of the run. When I did a better job keeping the temps down between runs and the temps were not as high at the end, no messages. No issues or messages at any other times on the street (before or since) either. Has this happened to anyone else? Should I be concerned? While I run autocrosses with the system off, I do want it functioning properly on the street.

Thanks in advance!

Jerry
Jerry, you do want to track this down!

You are getting the code because the voltage is dropping below the require 5 volts. I've done 6 years of autocrosssing, including 4 nationals, 6 Prosolos and many National Tours.

I experienced this is roadracing and found the heat source was the headers heat causing the ground junction in the Starter to crack apart.
This cause an intermittent ground fault. Having an active handling unit going off and on can cause, in my case, front brakes lock up at FIR.

No good! Track it down with an expert. Put a heatshield around the starter and wrap all the O2 sensor wiring too.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:42 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

solo is right. it is a bad ground. could be anywhere...but 225 is not hot at all! that is a cool engine my friend
Old 06-03-2009, 07:14 AM
JChadwell
Advanced

Thanks guys, sounds like I will have to start checking grounds. Anyone have instructions on pulling codes from the DIC handy? When I try to log into the tech tips pages, I keep getting a "page cannot be found" error.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:05 AM
waktasz
Pro

Quick and dirty explanation...
Hold option and hit fuel 4 times. Then use the fuel and gauges button to cycle through.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:29 AM
JChadwell
Advanced

Originally Posted by waktasz
Quick and dirty explanation...
Hold option and hit fuel 4 times. Then use the fuel and gauges button to cycle through.
Thanks. I just logged back in to say nevermind - I found the info elsewhere along with a listing of all codes. The electrical problems sticky with locations for all the grounds should be a big help as well. Hopefully I'll find some corrosion issues, can clean everything up, and have no further issues. However, if I have some unexpected codes, I might have to ask for additional help...

Thanks for the answers!

Get notified of new replies

To First AX in the Z - quick question

Quick Reply: First AX in the Z - quick question