Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flipping Kumho V710?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 06:41 PM
Nimo
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Default Flipping Kumho V710?

OK to do flip left to right and keep rotational direction?
The tires are marked "This side Out"

The outside is wearing more than the inside and the tires are used more on track than auto-x.
- I searched and found a few positive answers, but nothing on why not.

Any thoughts?
(Asking for a friend)

/Nik

Last edited by Nimo; 06-02-2009 at 06:50 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:55 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nik:
I did it on every V710 I ever had, no problem!
Old 06-02-2009, 07:03 PM
Nimo
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by Sidney004
Nik:
Thanks!
- I will let Hakan know - His tire shop didn't seem to happy about doing it - and asked if he really wanted to go against the manufactures recommendation.
I got my R6s flipped already and should have some more life in them.

/Nik

Last edited by Nimo; 06-02-2009 at 07:03 PM. Reason: speling
Old 06-02-2009, 07:19 PM
94ZR1#444
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sidney004
Nik:
Same here.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:26 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 936 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Contact forum member rasrboy. He works for Kumho and is very knowledgeable about the DOs and DONTs of the tires.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:49 PM
LS3 Mike
Instructor

I did this with my Victoracers and they were also marked as this side out. Never had any problems. However, this was on a car that was primarily autoxed so we are talking about a different speed range. I did hot lap the car on the road course where I worked safety crew when my boss let me.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:56 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kubs
Contact forum member rasrboy. He works for Kumho and is very knowledgeable about the DOs and DONTs of the tires.
No problem flipping them, get your $ worth and wear em down even. If you run a weekend somewhere and you have more right turns then left or visa versa, swap them side to side for the next day for maximum life.

My C4 has the same wheels/tires on all four and that really makes it nice to be able to move them to any corner. Sucks I can't do that in the T1 car with my spec size front and back, but when running NASA I run my OEM 18X10.5 C5 Z06 wheels which can go at any corner too.

BTW, What is your ride and mods?

Aaron
Old 06-03-2009, 12:02 AM
threewinmag
Racer

inside out and backward, no problem. called and asked the company they said no problem.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:50 AM
haikun
Racer

Thx all for input, all "flipped" and set for the weekend. Never wrong to save a few $ short term Getting 2 more 18x10.5 is one option for sure, have been eyeing CCW classics as well to go wider in the rear.

Cheers, Hakan
Old 06-03-2009, 01:38 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Running the 315/35/17 Kumho's I never worried about cording the outside edge. They usually wore out very evenly across the tread and any place on the tread was as likely to cord as the outside edge. I could usually go for most of the season on a set including autocrosses and HPDEs. A lot more consistent wear than the Hoosiers.

Bill
Old 06-08-2009, 12:41 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by threewinmag
inside out and backward, no problem. called and asked the company they said no problem.
Is this true for any tire?

I know its OK for Hoosier R6

I heard its even OK for GY Supercar runflats (just won't work in the rain well)

I would also like to know if its true for MPSC's ???????????????

DH
Old 06-08-2009, 12:26 PM
LS3 Mike
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Is this true for any tire?

I know its OK for Hoosier R6

I heard its even OK for GY Supercar runflats (just won't work in the rain well)

I would also like to know if its true for MPSC's ???????????????

DH
This all depends on the tread pattern. Non-directional tires can always be flipped. I think the question came up because many race slicks have a directional marking so that they rain grooves are on the inner edge of the tire. However, for those people running the tires in the dry, flipping those tires is just fine.

When it comes to flipping normal street tires I'd follow manufacturers recommendations. Some treads are formed in a way that running the tires in an opposite direction than recommended could cause more heat build up and/or chew the tread blocks up.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:57 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by LS3 Mike
This all depends on the tread pattern. Non-directional tires can always be flipped. I think the question came up because many race slicks have a directional marking so that they rain grooves are on the inner edge of the tire. However, for those people running the tires in the dry, flipping those tires is just fine.

When it comes to flipping normal street tires I'd follow manufacturers recommendations. Some treads are formed in a way that running the tires in an opposite direction than recommended could cause more heat build up and/or chew the tread blocks up.
I think if you are looking to get a little more usage on a street tire that other wise is going to cord on one side it should be okay. Whats the difference if it chews up tread blocks at that point. Now if it creates drastic heat build up then it better be monitored.

DH
Old 06-08-2009, 02:09 PM
LS3 Mike
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
I think if you are looking to get a little more usage on a street tire that other wise is going to cord on one side it should be okay. Whats the difference if it chews up tread blocks at that point. Now if it creates drastic heat build up then it better be monitored.

DH
I agree. Like you said though, definitely something to monitor though. My worry about the tread blocks getting chewed would be the tire starting to chunk. And also, remember to weigh the cost of having the old tires remounted. Even though our cars roll on expensive tires, it still may not be worth paying a tire shop to flip the tires if they don't last too much longer. All depends on the tire I guess. I almost doubled the life of my old race slicks by flipping them. But that was also in a WRX that beat up the outside edges of tires because it was an understeer monster in its stock form.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:43 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by LS3 Mike
I agree. Like you said though, definitely something to monitor though. My worry about the tread blocks getting chewed would be the tire starting to chunk. And also, remember to weigh the cost of having the old tires remounted. Even though our cars roll on expensive tires, it still may not be worth paying a tire shop to flip the tires if they don't last too much longer. All depends on the tire I guess. I almost doubled the life of my old race slicks by flipping them. But that was also in a WRX that beat up the outside edges of tires because it was an understeer monster in its stock form.
Well flipping my R6 is a no brainer.

Flipping my GY will be put on hold as I ordered some NTO5's. But my front GY are wearing on inside edge due to 1.6 camber. So I thought flip them .... they aren't cheap.

I may have the same question on the NT05 as I really don't know if they are directional

And now I have a set of MPSC which are clearly marked inside/outside but if the outer edges wear I will flip unless Michelin's Dough Boy calls me to advise otherwise .....

DH
Old 06-08-2009, 03:32 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Kumho suggests that the direction of rotation be CHANGED to keep the splice closed. I have done this for a couple of years now on about 4 sets, no more splice opening up.

Flip too, of course.

Get notified of new replies

To Flipping Kumho V710?

Quick Reply: Flipping Kumho V710?