Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grand am rolex gt c6 vette build (update)

Old 06-01-2009, 05:18 PM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Grand am rolex gt c6 vette build (update)

Our prep 2 Rolex GT build is moving along nicely now:

Some photo's are posted at Garra-fans.com under general discussion
Will post here as soon as I can figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Square tube chassis by BEMCO is complete
rear end: 9" GN floater installed
3 link rear suspension with Watts link installed
upper and lower control arms installed
SWEET steering rack installed
interior sheet metal and firewall installed
pedals hung
seat fitted KIRKEY road race containment
2/3 of body hung
Custom 22 gal ATL cell may be here tomorrow
dual dry break ATL fuel receiver mounted

SCHWANKE forged LS6 almost ready to be dyno'd
JERICO tranny waiting to be installed

will have 328 mm (12.91) x 1.25 in rotors
large billet 4 piston calipers (6 piston not allowed)

hoping to test in August, maybe make Homestead GA race in Oct.

Last edited by bosco022; 06-01-2009 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:32 AM
Knucklehead Racing
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool project. Congrats. Pics? Good luck with it!
Old 06-03-2009, 07:49 AM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

why LS6 instead of LS3, LS7, etc?
Old 06-03-2009, 09:53 AM
bosco022
Drifting

There is only two options legal for Grand Am:

You can buy the KATECH LS2.....or

you can build your own LS6, these motors are pretty much just
forged stock dimension motors....no cam, no porting etc.

you are allowed shaft rockers, I chose T&D

This project was originally going to be a modern tube frame chassis with a GREENWOOD wide body on it with a 427 ci carbureted LS2.
then we decided to build a GA legal car.

One day I would still like to do the GREENWOOD project.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:04 AM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

Bosco, the car looks awesome. I am still knee deep in mine also. I started painting the cage in it last night so that I can start assembling the car. I have a pretty decent LS1 for the car for now while my LS2 is being built. I don't have a recent picture, it looks much nicer now the the frame and cage have some paint on them.[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-03-2009, 10:05 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Best of luck
Old 06-03-2009, 10:38 AM
bosco022
Drifting

Justin, the car is looking good. Will this be a combination pro and club car? Maybe you can bring her to run in our new V8 GT2 class in V8 StockCar and give Bob Mayer some competition at the ARRC in November.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:54 PM
Zip Corvettes

The car is being built for the SCCA STO class. Depending on how the rule thing plays out. I just wanted to build something to have fun with, I am sure I will also be at some HPDE's with the car also. I would like to run some NASA events but the small print bothers me a little at that you could end up leaving the track with a bill. In the meantime I will build to the STO rules making some minor modification on which way I believe the rules will go.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:08 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jabbott
I would like to run some NASA events but the small print bothers me a little at that you could end up leaving the track with a bill.
what? Any damage to the track for any event, NASA, SCCA or HPDE you will get billed.

so what fine print?

your SPO car would fit into NASA SU class
Old 06-03-2009, 01:41 PM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

wow, that is cool. where does one get billet calipers?
Old 06-03-2009, 02:04 PM
Zip Corvettes

Have you ever seen someone billed at an SCCA event. It comes down to the insurance carrier. SCCA has better insurance then NASA, but I think NASA is more grass roots friendly then SCCA. I have seen allot of torn up stuff at the SCCA events at VIR and never a bill that followed. I read on the Mid-Ohio even what the track would charge NASA and then the individual on track damage. I am sure that SCCA gets a bill on any track damage, but their insurance covers it and not the individual unlike with NASA.

Bosco, what is the GT2 you are talking about?? I will coming to the ARRC when TCC does in Nov.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:07 PM
Zip Corvettes

Bosco, oh nevermind I was going to ask you why you did not run the factory tanks but I answered my own question, I forgot you had a fully fabbed car. I have gone back and forth if I should use the stock tanks or a ATL the DK had built for these cars to fit one in the back. For now I think I am going to run the stockers because of their location, but if I have issues I may be changing to a rear mount ATL also. I would really like to get a price on the Corvette ATL tanks that Pratt&Miller have but I am sure they are way out of my budget.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:08 PM
bosco022
Drifting

All the big racing caliper makers (AP, ALCON, BREMBO, WILWOOD,STOPTECH etc) have billet calipers. There are two piece, which you must use in Grand Am or the REALLY expensive mono-block billets.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:25 PM
bosco022
Drifting

Justin, The V8 StocKCar series has four classes:

V8 GT-1: SCCA GT-1, Grand Am GT, SCCA SPO stockcars with wings

V8 GT-2: SCCA W/C GT/STO, SCCA GT2, Koni Challenge GS, T-1, NASA ST by review, TCC cars up to WC level.
Note: SCCA W/C & STO are the performance benchmark

At the ARRC our V8 GT2 guys would be running as STO, TCC etc in thier own group. Our other cars will be in the SPO/GTA group.

V8 SPO: super late model and ex NASCAR cup & busch

V8 GTA: SCCA GTA

We have a ten race weekend schedule each year running with SCCA and once this year with PBOC

You can run for the championship with your 6 best races (two races per weekend) plus double points at the ARRC. So you could win the championship by running 4 total weekends out of ten.

Cost: nothing, you pay only your SCCA fees
we do lots of publicity, Hoosier and Goodyear give tire bucks, Nice championship trophy and Goodies.

We have our own radio show at Racetalkradio.com
The VIR race in May was broadcast live, with driver interviews

We need more of the Corvette drivers to come out and play with us at Daytona, Sebring, PBIR, Roebling, Road Atlanta, VIR, etc.

Good competition, sometimes OUTBACK and others sponsor parties etc.

First year for V8 GT-2, Road Atlanta July should be a good shootout between Bob Mayer (W/C C6) Steve Epley (STO Z06) Doug Wilson (M3)
Ed Lewis (Z06) and more.

check out the website at v8stockcar.com

Last edited by bosco022; 06-03-2009 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:33 PM
bosco022
Drifting

on the ATL cell.

ATL makes a 33x17x9 standard cell that would not work for me, however I asked them if they could use that mold, tip one of those up and put the opening on the top, would that be a cheaper custom cell...they said yes. that may fit into a stock chassis like that. I didn't end up going that route, so I paid more. 1850 for can, cell, foam and surge tank.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:36 PM
Racer-38
Racer

Originally Posted by jabbott
The car is being built for the SCCA STO class. Depending on how the rule thing plays out. I just wanted to build something to have fun with, I am sure I will also be at some HPDE's with the car also. I would like to run some NASA events but the small print bothers me a little at that you could end up leaving the track with a bill. In the meantime I will build to the STO rules making some minor modification on which way I believe the rules will go.
Justin..
I run my car in NASA(ST1) and SCCA (STO). Both organizations are great (ie: no small print w/ NASA)...so hurry up and finish the car and we'll see you soon on the track (we need car count in STO).
The ARRC is the year end event that the SE region puts on for classes that can't go to the runoffs : IE: TCC<SPO<STO<STU<ITclasses etc. Its held at Road Atlanta. They combine TCC,ST,STO,ITO into one group and the majority of the cars are corvettes. The GT2 class Bosco talks about is a race within a race. Its part of the V8 stockcar series.
So in this group (lets say there were 30 cars) and that 20 of them qualified to be GT2 cars....you might esentially finish 3rd overall but win the GT2 race.
Looking forward to racing with you.
Bob
Old 06-03-2009, 03:50 PM
Zip Corvettes

Bob,
I am planning on running with TCC but we are going to be under STO rules from what I understand. The "fine print" I am talking about is not from NASA but from the track that is hosting the NASA event vs. the SCCA. Danny Kellermeyer brought it to my attention earlier this year when I was thinking about ST1. Maybe not every track does this but I know most on the TCC schedule did. My home track will be VIR so I am sure that is where I will be running most of the time. My engine will never compete in ST1 though unless allot of cars blow engines up for some reason, but my car is so modified that it will not be allowed in ST2. The car seem to fit the STO rules very well and I have been talking to someone at SCCA about questions and changes. I have already been told the firewall issue was going to be resolved and same with the fuel pressure reg. Right now we are still building, I am going to try and drop the engine in the next 3 weeks and then get it wired up. There are still lots of little stuff like brake lines, what to do about ABS etc. Anyways still allot to do and hope to have the car in Atlanta this year as long as all my licenses are finished. I look forward to racing with all of you guys and I am really looking forward to blowing by Roberts orange vette some time this year. Ya hear that Mr. Finlayson, your car will be in my sights and I have a little surprise for ya.

Get notified of new replies

To Grand am rolex gt c6 vette build (update)

Old 06-03-2009, 05:58 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Bosco-Are you just going to tease us with words or are you going to start posting some pix?

As for pay for play, have an off at Watkins Glen and you buy the repair or don't go out/come back again, regardless of sanctioning body that I've ever run with. Been that way for 20 years or more.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:56 PM
bosco022
Drifting

Keith, I can't get them to post here.

I did post some at garra-fans.com under general discussion,
then rolex gt build
Old 06-03-2009, 08:02 PM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Justin,
You must be talking about Road Atlanta 2010!!! Remember, you didn't want me to finish your car for you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Grand am rolex gt c6 vette build (update)