Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'87 RX7 TurboII Build (No Corvette Content)

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 05:21 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default '87 RX7 TurboII Build (No Corvette Content)

http://www.petting-zoo.net/photos/RX7-2009-05-22/

People have asked before, so I blew the dust off the RX7 today. This is why I'm pulling back on the Penskes and Pfadt bits for the C6. It's time to get this car done and out on track. SCCA ITE, NASA ST1/2 (depending on final hp and weight numbers). Probably get its butt kicked by a C5 or C6, but it should be fun at under 2500# and a goal of around 400rwhp at around 10psi of boost.

Had bad experiences with Frey Racing and Lead Foot Automotive since moving this car to California. Lots of bucks spent, not as much value in return. As you can see in the photos, or maybe not, this is the car as it was returned to me by Lead Foot after they blew the original motor (of course saying I gave them a car with a bad motor -- even though they had it idling checking for leaks etc), and they installed a new Drummond 13BT which they were unable to get started. Not too surprising based on the wiring, vacuum routing, etc... no idea who they assigned to R&R the motor but bleah.

So, yes, buy my Penske 8100s with the dual rate springs for your Corvette! I need to get this car cleaned up and out on track. Get it through a nice shake down, play with some NASA guys in NorCal, and then see where she leads me...
Old 05-26-2009, 05:40 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lsx swap????

should be a fun track car.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:45 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Ya know, in retrospect I wish I'd done that rather than putting the big turbo and fresh motor on it. Looks much easier to pull that off these days, too... at least three companies offering complete bolt-in assemblies for the LSx+T56 and would have to figure out something for the diff as I doubt the 4.10 would be good for that combo. :-)

Heck, if I'd bought the C4 or Camaro SS that were on the short list when I bought this RX7 as a street car I'd probably have sucked it up long ago for a C5 racer... too much emotional investment in the RX7 now to walk away without putting it on track.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:10 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Looking at the photos there is a ton of weight that can be removed. Of course it will require a lot of work, but being a dedicated race car I'd do it. Also, I'd think about taking out that rear diagonal. It may cause more damage than you like in a hard rear impact. If you want to protect the fuel cell there is a much better way of doing it.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:48 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

TC from www.tcdesignfab.com did the cage while he was working for Frey Racing. I'm looking for somebody local to help finish the build. Interested or have recommendations? :-)
Old 05-26-2009, 11:50 PM
stano
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you checked out Robi Spec? I think he works on the imports and has been very successful.

http://www.google.com/search?q=robi+...ient=firefox-a

Old 05-26-2009, 11:55 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Haven't heard of them, they're a bit south. I have feelers out with some NorCal shops and am trying to gear myself up to just finish it off.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:52 PM
Oobus
Advanced

Have you tried Rick's in Pleasanton? Nice guy, does top notch work (but you'll pay for it).
http://www.ricksrotary.com/
Take a look over at the RX Club website, lots of information if you can get past the B.S. from all the kids:
http://www.rx7club.com/index.php?
And, if this doesn't work, go LS1 like I did!

Matt
Old 05-27-2009, 02:57 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by wallyman424
lsx swap????
funniest video on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxsY4lEGRBI
Old 05-27-2009, 03:01 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Rick won't touch race cars. He recommends SR Motorsports. RX7Club has been of no help.

I think I'll take the car back to TC of www.tcdesignfab.com since he did the cage originally, anyway, and sort it out that way.

Which LSx motor mount kit did you use? 2nd gen car or 3rd?
Old 05-27-2009, 03:12 PM
Oobus
Advanced

Sorry couldn't be of more help. I haven't used SR so, not any help there either.
I got a Hinson's kit and put my car together myself - 3rd gen that is in my avatar. Already had it out at ThunderHill and I'm pleased as punch!
Old 05-27-2009, 03:18 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

No worries. Just got an email from Tony that he can take the car in on Monday, and there's a dyno place up the road from him that knows rotaries so we should be able to get it tuned. Now I just need to figure out how to get it from my garage to his shop. :-)
Old 05-27-2009, 04:27 PM
Oobus
Advanced

Great! Let me know when you are headed up to THill! I've got a friends ITS 2nd gen sitting at my place that is at my disposal - itchin' to get it out.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:49 PM
stano
Safety Car

Originally Posted by drivinhard

That is some hilarious stuff there
Old 05-28-2009, 10:39 PM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

I drove a FD with an ls1 in it this weekend it it was a blast... that looks INSANE!!!

good luck with it!
Old 05-29-2009, 09:44 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by gkmccready

So, yes, buy my Penske 8100s with the dual rate springs for your Corvette! I need to get this car cleaned up and out on track. Get it through a nice shake down, play with some NASA guys in NorCal, and then see where she leads me...
Done!

Get notified of new replies

To '87 RX7 TurboII Build (No Corvette Content)

Quick Reply: '87 RX7 TurboII Build (No Corvette Content)