Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Autox Tires- Supercar vs Michelin PS2 ZP?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 06:47 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Default C6 Autox Tires- Supercar vs Michelin PS2 ZP?

You should pick the right tool (tire) for the job, here's my "job":

The car is a 2006 Coupe A6 w/Z51. It is used as a daily driver and long-distance road tripper, putting on about 15k miles per year. Runflats are a must. I also run 2-6 autocross weekends per year.

The second set of Supercar tires will need replacement soon, I've narrowed the choice to another set of Supercars or the new Michelin PS2 ZP. The Firestones runflats (had a set on my C5) were a great general purpose tire but probably not comparable to the SC or PS2 ZP tires for AX.

Many folks love the Michelins, but a few say they are really about the same as the SC: the difference is that you are replacing old/worn/hard Supercars with nice new Michelins, not a valid comparison.

The Supercars have worked well in the rain for me, if the Michelins are better in rain that's nice but not mandatory.

Less noise and a softer ride are nice, but not the biggest factors. Comparisons?

The Supercars seem to have a very gradual breakaway that allows me to run at (or slightly beyond :o ) their limits and keep under control, no spins or big slides. Haven't heard how the Michelins are in that respect.

Ultimate grip may be better with the PS2 ZP, but a few say the SC is just as good.

Cost per mile may be similar, both tires have a 220 treadwear rating; the Michelins are slightly more expensive but may last a bit longer.

I've had problems and seen other people with problems, getting a replacement Corvette runflat if one tire gets ruined. My old SC tires could serve as emergency replacements if needed, not sure how good Michelin is about keeping tires in stock. GY seems "fair", BFG was "absolutely awful" in that respect.

It really comes down to, will I turn faster times with new PS2 ZP's than new Supercars?

Comments and Suggestions?
Thanks!

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 05-26-2009 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:02 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

I can't speak for the ZP's, but the regular PS2's held better on the corners than the Supercars did on my C6 Z51. For straight line traction, I dont recall much if any difference.

Without a doubt, I would go with the PS2's over the Supercars.

Quick Reply: C6 Autox Tires- Supercar vs Michelin PS2 ZP?