Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel/Tire (size) recommendations for tracking C6 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 05:35 PM
m3to335
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wheel/Tire (size) recommendations for tracking C6 Z06

In a couple days Im picking up an 07 Z06 and plan on tracking the car. Up till now I've been tracking bimmers but thought "what the hell" and pulled the trigger on the Z.

This is definately a newbie question, but I'd like to put together a low cost wheel/tire combo to track with. I plan on running scrubs but as far as wheel recommendations/sizes Im clueless. I know running stock 19s is definately out of the question

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 05-25-2009, 07:50 AM
manicheus
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you already have a trailer and are committed to trailering the car to the track, two choices are OEM rims with Hoosiers, or CCW wheels 11x18 in front 13x18 rear, which gives you more tire options. If you are just running in HPDE, you might want to stick with street rubber (Michelin PS2's are a good choice). You will still be faster than 95% of the cars out there and spend less on tires, bearings, etc. Have fun, be safe and welcome to the Corvette world!
Old 05-25-2009, 09:00 AM
m3to335
Pro

Originally Posted by manicheus
If you already have a trailer and are committed to trailering the car to the track, two choices are OEM rims with Hoosiers, or CCW wheels 11x18 in front 13x18 rear, which gives you more tire options. If you are just running in HPDE, you might want to stick with street rubber (Michelin PS2's are a good choice). You will still be faster than 95% of the cars out there and spend less on tires, bearings, etc. Have fun, be safe and welcome to the Corvette world!
If your in Northern VA, you most likely hit VIR? I'd be primarily doing VIR and CMP with this car. My first event with the Z is the instructor clinic at CMP next month

Im not trailering the car, though Id love to be able to find a small one to pull the wheels/tires behind the Vette (EEK). Actually the wheels/tires are being thrown in my friends Panoz trailer. We typically pair up at these events.

After running R comps and so forth for a while, its going to be hard to go back to street tires. I found a guy who carries decent Hoosier scrubs for $100 a pop, so thats an option. When you say OEM rims, do you mean the 18/19s? I dont think he has hoosiers in 19s.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:39 PM
manicheus
Instructor

Originally Posted by m3to335
If your in Northern VA, you most likely hit VIR? ... When you say OEM rims, do you mean the 18/19s? [/COLOR]
I do spend a fair amount of time at VIR. I will be there with the Audi Club June 11 and 12 and NCM June 29 and 30.

I did mean 18/19's. Hoosier makes a 19 that fits the OEM wheels. CCW 18's may be your best bet.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:45 PM
mcar00
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

CCW 18's may be your best bet.
CCW 18's may be the most popular track wheel out there for a C6 Z06 so you should be able to find a used set or just call John at CCW.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:48 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

CCW as there is a huge assortment of used race tires in the 18x11 and 18x13 sizes.

the 19 inch rears get pretty spendy and cannot find any used ones for a decent price
Old 05-25-2009, 09:57 PM
m3to335
Pro

I do spend a fair amount of time at VIR. I will be there with the Audi Club June 11 and 12 and NCM June 29 and 30.

I did mean 18/19's. Hoosier makes a 19 that fits the OEM wheels. CCW 18's may be your best bet.
19s are too big Can I run stock 18s all around?

Originally Posted by mcar00
CCW 18's may be the most popular track wheel out there for a C6 Z06 so you should be able to find a used set or just call John at CCW.
Should I just keep my eyes open on this forum, or is there another good hot spot to check out? I have to have something in hand in the next couple weeks before this event.

Originally Posted by dvandentop
CCW as there is a huge assortment of used race tires in the 18x11 and 18x13 sizes.

the 19 inch rears get pretty spendy and cannot find any used ones for a decent price
Yup 19s are spendy. Other than CCW, are there any budget setups?
Old 05-25-2009, 10:11 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

19s are too big

some guys use the c5 z06 rears all the way around which you can run 305 all the way around which is a cheap solution
Old 05-26-2009, 02:43 PM
m3to335
Pro

Originally Posted by dvandentop
some guys use the c5 z06 rears all the way around which you can run 305 all the way around which is a cheap solution
No kidding, really? That would be a good option. Finding 4 rears should be an interesting task. Whats the width/offset of stock C5Z rears?
Old 05-26-2009, 03:07 PM
GrantB
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

325/30/19 Hoosiers are only $60 more than 315/30/18s. Plus the car's suspension geometry was designed to run a staggered tire setup. I would much rather have the wider rear tires and wheels of the C6Z setup over the C5Z.

What do you have against 19s? If you're going to be running Hoosiers, you've got tires available for them.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:43 PM
manicheus
Instructor

If you are worried about cost, then go with street tires. You can use your OEM rims and the tire cost per event will be much lower. Sure Hoosiers will allow you to get around the track faster. But if you are just running HPDE, you will be faster than most anyway, and you will learn just as much running on street tires. If you start racing, or get bored running on street tires, then get some dedicated track wheels and slicks.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:54 PM
m3to335
Pro

Originally Posted by GrantB
325/30/19 Hoosiers are only $60 more than 315/30/18s. Plus the car's suspension geometry was designed to run a staggered tire setup. I would much rather have the wider rear tires and wheels of the C6Z setup over the C5Z.

What do you have against 19s? If you're going to be running Hoosiers, you've got tires available for them.
Then the C5Z wheels aside, I've been told a vendor on here sells 18x13 C6 z06 reps for around $225....just have to figure out who Then I guess I could run those in the rear and find a spare set of stocks for the front.

I dont have anything against 19s, but scrubs should be easier to come by in 18's. Then again, I just found out that my scrub hookup may not have the size I want regardless He carries 275s and 345s. Can you say understeer!

If you are worried about cost, then go with street tires. You can use your OEM rims and the tire cost per event will be much lower. Sure Hoosiers will allow you to get around the track faster. But if you are just running HPDE, you will be faster than most anyway, and you will learn just as much running on street tires. If you start racing, or get bored running on street tires, then get some dedicated track wheels and slicks.
I've always had 2 or 3 sets of wheels & tires (track, street, show) so Im fairly certain this car will be no exception. At the very least track and street. This event is a 3 day HPDE + instructor class so I'd be burning them up pretty well. After running track tires for a while, it would be hard to switch back. Not saying I wont....just saying.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:57 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

19s are too big Can I run stock 18s all around?

Should I just keep my eyes open on this forum, or is there another good hot spot to check out? I have to have something in hand in the next couple weeks before this event.

Yes, there are budget set ups!!!

I also have a C6Z that I have been running for 2 years now. I am very budget conscious and as such use the OEM's as my track wheels (as they are excellent strong wheels) and I bought a set of reproductions for the street. Your never going to hit corner forces on the street, so the repro's are perfect for that application, and using trusted OEM's on the track works out as well so you don't compromise on safety. I recently bought a set of 2009 black spyders for $899.

All of the above are great options, and I am just throwing another one out there. I run 285/30's on the OEM fronts and 345/30's on the OEM rears and they fit/work PERFECT!

Buying ANY custom rims is going to cost $2000+. The difference between 18" 345 rubber and 19" 345 rubber in nominal. By using your OEM's as the track rims and buying some repo's for the street, it would take 8+ seasons before CCW's paid for themselves with the price difference on new tires.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:14 PM
manicheus
Instructor

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Buying ANY custom rims is going to cost $2000+. The difference between 18" 345 rubber and 19" 345 rubber in nominal. By using your OEM's as the track rims and buying some repo's for the street, it would take 8+ seasons before CCW's paid for themselves with the price difference on new tires.
This math may be true for new Hoosiers, which will be your only choice for the 19's. Unless you go to 18s, you won't likely find any scrubs, and you won't be able to try other (e.g., cheaper) R compound brands.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:44 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This math may be true for new Hoosiers, which will be your only choice for the 19's. Unless you go to 18s, you won't likely find any scrubs, and you won't be able to try other (e.g., cheaper) R compound brands.
You are correct. So for used tires you have to think about how long before you get the $1300 back. You will save a lot using scrubs, but even 345/18's are hard to find.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:37 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think running on a tight budget, and tracking a c6 z06 are mutually exclusive ....a c5 would have been a much cheaper choice. It seems the options listed above are the only ones. The brakes are also an expensive item.

Tim
Old 05-26-2009, 05:39 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

If you are looking for Hoosier scrubs, then you need to use 18" wheels front and rear. Two caveats:

1) DON'T RUN REPRO WHEELS AT THE TRACK!!! I'm shouting to make sure you hear me. Only use known quality wheels at the track. Your life (and maybe that of others) is not worth the savings you may get by buying cheap wheels.

2) If you are planning to run at high speed tracks, i.e.: VIR, etc. with 18" wheels in the back, MAKE SURE you take the car to a knowledgeable Corvette shop to adjust the rake in your car back to factory specs. If you don't, you will likely experience high-speed handling issues. That is NOT fun.

Then, enjoy...
Frank Gonzalez
Old 05-26-2009, 06:07 PM
GrantB
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For what its worth, I'm going to run four 18x10.5 C5 Z05 Speedline wheels on my C5. I'm having the rears widened as much as possible (up to 18x13) by Weldcraft. The Speedlines are very light (20.8 lbs, before widening), cheap and reliable.

The wider C5Z-style repros are a lot heavier than OE C5Z wheels.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:33 PM
m3to335
Pro

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj
If you are looking for Hoosier scrubs, then you need to use 18" wheels front and rear. Two caveats:

1) DON'T RUN REPRO WHEELS AT THE TRACK!!! I'm shouting to make sure you hear me. Only use known quality wheels at the track. Your life (and maybe that of others) is not worth the savings you may get by buying cheap wheels.

2) If you are planning to run at high speed tracks, i.e.: VIR, etc. with 18" wheels in the back, MAKE SURE you take the car to a knowledgeable Corvette shop to adjust the rake in your car back to factory specs. If you don't, you will likely experience high-speed handling issues. That is NOT fun.

Then, enjoy...
Frank Gonzalez
No repro's, got it. But are there any stock 18" wheels I can throw in the back? Also, throwing off the rake would be dictated by tire diameter. Is it that I only have one diameter option? I've heard of people running 305s all around. (weather or not thats good, I dont know).

Yup, Im trying to stay away from the 19s unless its my last resort.

Originally Posted by 95jersey
I recently bought a set of 2009 black spyders for $899.

All of the above are great options, and I am just throwing another one out there. I run 285/30's on the OEM fronts and 345/30's on the OEM rears and they fit/work PERFECT!
Where did you get your spyders and tires. Also, what type tires do you run?

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel/Tire (size) recommendations for tracking C6 Z06

Quick Reply: Wheel/Tire (size) recommendations for tracking C6 Z06