Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street tire heat cycle

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 01:31 AM
avizandum
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Street tire heat cycle

Just bought Kumho XSs for AutoX and occassional HPDE. They're going on as DDs also. What's the best way to initially heat cycle them on the street prior to my first AutoX on Monday?
Old 05-23-2009, 07:27 AM
avizandum
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone?
Old 05-23-2009, 09:31 AM
autoxer6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Street tires aren't soft enough to need a heat cycle. I dont heat cycle my Hoosier A6's before an Auto x. They get it the first event.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:51 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Street tires don't need a heat cycle. The XS is supposed to be slightly softer than the earlier MX tire, but it's still much harder than any of the R-compound race tires.

What I would do is to drive the car as much as you can prior to the event. There will be some release material on the tire surface that will make the tire feel greasy. This material is what helps the tire come out of the mold.

Try a freeway trip of maybe 50-75 miles and then find some twisty roads where you can moderately push the car; not hard, but just slightly aggressive. The idea is to scuff the tread and remove those compounds. It will also help to give you a feel for the new tires. They will be a big difference over what tires you may have had.

Start the event with the recommended tire pressures (see the door sticker). If this is your first-ever autocross, don't play around too much with air pressures. Once you get a feel for autocross, like walking the course to help learn it, finding the proper line and how the car is handling, then it's time to invest in a decent tire pressure gauge and a small 12 air compressor.

Get notified of new replies

To Street tire heat cycle

Quick Reply: Street tire heat cycle