Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Entry Level Race Brake Pads for Stock Calipers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 07:45 PM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Entry Level Race Brake Pads for Stock Calipers?

Updated after the Initial Comments:

Entry Level Race Brake Pads for Stock Calipers?
Road courses, HPDE, etc.
For clarification, Im on my second season. And as of event #2 for the season I've exceed the tolerances of street quality pads. 20 min on Pocono North, and I ahd to start increasing my brake distance for the last 5 laps... on SS lines, Recent flushed with Motul RBF 600, year old + calipers, baers in the front and OEM in the rear rotors, ECS front brake duct cooling kit.

I am on Hawk Ceramic Performace Street pads NOW, and Im at the level now that Im running way too hot on them & they are fading. I do not need $400 fronts and $300 rears that do 1800 degrees... but i need something for the track that I can could on during session 6+ in a single day. And then Again the very next day.

Stock OEM will not do, moved out of those last year by season end. Do i just jump up to HPS? HP+? DC60? Other brand? One of the other higher temp pads. I don't want them to bite to hard too fast.. or chew up my rotors too quick... since these will be for track days and I'll be swapping a bit of noise is not a worry. Prefer not to have to sho pvac my rims, but i know more dust is coming when i go to a race pad.

CCW Classics & Michelin Pilot Sport Streets 18/275 & 18/335

Suggestions?

Last edited by Zenak; 05-19-2009 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:14 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

stock c5z06 brake pads will work just fine for your first few events

Brake dust WILL be a lot with are real brake pads that you need to use to stop your car.

That is just part of the game. and the only thing to do is wash the wheels and car
Old 05-18-2009, 08:34 PM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
stock c5z06 brake pads will work just fine for your first few events

Brake dust WILL be a lot with are real brake pads that you need to use to stop your car.

That is just part of the game. and the only thing to do is wash the wheels and car
+1
Old 05-18-2009, 09:03 PM
johninar
Drifting

I ran several years on stock z06 pads. I'm with these guys.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:35 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm using the Carbotech XP10/XP8 combo and I'm surprised at their street manners. They are quiet and the cold stopping power is just fine. I wouldn't go so far as to recommend them for full time street duty but driving to and from the track they work just fine. (Note I have the Carbotech bobcat street pads for daily use). I have 4 track days on them and thus far they seem to be easy on the rotors. No fade, no problems. The only thing I don't like about them is they don't have a lot initial bite, seem a little soft to me. Last year I used the Hawk HT-10 - they were louder but had better bite. I'll go thru these pads before passing final judgement but I may step up to XP12/10 next time. All track pads dust, just one of those things you have to live with if you want great stopping power and no fade.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:32 PM
Davinss
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

How long has it been since you have flushed your brake fluid? What brake fluid is in the car right now?
Old 05-19-2009, 12:28 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Davinss
How long has it been since you have flushed your brake fluid? What brake fluid is in the car right now?
Not sure if your question was aimed at me but if so: I use ATE Superblue and bleed every event. When I used the word 'soft' I didn't mean the pedal is soft, I meant the Carbotechs don't have as much initial bite as some of the other pads I've used. With the Hawks, they grabbed right away with medium pressure. The Carbos take more pressure. I'm not complaining - they stop the car just fine, I just liked the feel of the Hawks a little better. I'm comparing different cars though, so maybe its not a fair comparison (although I used the Hawks in a car that weighed several hundred pounds more).
Old 05-19-2009, 12:54 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

The Performance Friction Z-compound pads might be a good choice.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:44 AM
shifter77
Drifting

HAWK ht-10 front/dtc60 rear
Old 05-19-2009, 01:11 PM
0michael@mbsbrakes
Former Vendor

FYI.....We have been selling a lot of Performance Friction 99 compound for the front with the Z rated rears. Great performance and great bang for your buck.

-Michael

Last edited by michael@mbsbrakes; 05-19-2009 at 07:48 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:46 PM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Davinss
Im on Motul RBF 600 and did a complete system flush prior to the event. SS lines, and newer (year + old calipers). I tried the stock z06 pads, they did worse than the hawks performance street ceramics for stopping. I really need to jump up a notch to something that will stop harder and hold the heat better... but i dont need the crazy ridiculous1800 degree pads either.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:53 PM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by shifter77
HAWK ht-10 front/dtc60 rear

Why do you recommend that combo split up like that?

What are the advantages?
Old 05-19-2009, 03:25 PM
68sixspeed
Melting Slicks

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I wouldn't go to that (ht10/dtc60) combo unless you are running soft compound tires. (they tend to lock the tires easy on street tires)

HP+ hawks are plenty of pad for street tires, especially if you add cooling hose on the fronts.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:22 PM
igo380
Racer

Default Performance Frictions PFC -01

PFC -01. You won't go back....
Old 05-19-2009, 06:51 PM
haikun
Racer

I'm using Cobalt XR1 in front, XR-1 in rear (using R compund tires) and really happy. The next problem for me then became heat (adding braking capacity unfortunately creates new possibilities to spend $ Installed DRM's brake duct system and an adapter to hook it up to the brake rotors in the front so I'm pretty happy now.

/Hakan
Old 05-19-2009, 09:57 PM
LS3FORME
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have been running the hp+ for 4 events now and i am not happy with them, they stop well for about 4 laps, then the heat makes them alot less effective in hauling the car down, no confidence and no short brake zones, they scrub speed ok, but the tracks i run go from high speed to hairpin to high speed. Go to the hawk ht-10 min, or as the pfc guy said the 99 you might not need the 01. If you can spend the bucks dtc 70/60 f/r. Call phoenix racing.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:43 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

To START off with your first few events, stick with the simple yet proven.

the Stock GM C5Z06 brake pads.

the Hawks are great brake pads once you really get into these events. which you will

they DUST like an Oklahoma dust storm. and eat paint if the brake dust gets wet.

Plus most of those brake pads mentioned above are not really street pads

Get notified of new replies

To Entry Level Race Brake Pads for Stock Calipers?

Old 05-20-2009, 08:44 AM
txst
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I also use the Carbotech XP10/XP8 for HPDE's - Great pads. I am in the advanced run group and they hold up well, are easy on the rotors and are not corrosive to the wheels.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:44 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Just my HO, I think the C5Z pads are terrible track pads, even for a newb or fairly newbie. They WILL fade, and they don't last at all. I have worn out a set in 1 day and was not pushing 10/10ths.

If you are already having fade problems at pocono, I think you need a better pad than OEM. You can probably get by with C5Z pads in the rear maybe, but try carbotech XP10 or XP8 up front. They won't break the bank and should help your pad fading issues, and they wear very very well.

Here's a new XP10 on the right, an C5Z pad in the middle (1 day) and a used XP10 on the left with 5 events.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:35 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by drivinhard
Just my HO, I think the C5Z pads are terrible track pads, even for a newb or fairly newbie. They WILL fade, and they don't last at all. I have worn out a set in 1 day and was not pushing 10/10ths.

If you are already having fade problems at pocono, I think you need a better pad than OEM. You can probably get by with C5Z pads in the rear maybe, but try carbotech XP10 or XP8 up front. They won't break the bank and should help your pad fading issues, and they wear very very well.

Here's a new XP10 on the right, an C5Z pad in the middle (1 day) and a used XP10 on the left with 5 events.
Anybody recommend XP8 front w/ stock Z06 rear as a combo with brake ducting to cool the fronts?? Will it work?? Or if you do carbos, must you do XP10 front XP8 rear?? I am afraid of rotor wear. With comp mode on, it makes sense to me to have cheap rear pads that don't eat rotors--stockers.

Also--anybody had trouble w/the stock Z06 pads overheating the fluid but not so much fading???

Quick Reply: Entry Level Race Brake Pads for Stock Calipers?